The Baseball Thread

George

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 02:16 pm
@Gargamel,
Maybe sometime in September, but that card is close to the chest.
jespah

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 05:20 pm
@George,
Smoltz was designated for reassignment.

You think the chairs would look better in a diamond pattern, or a pentagram?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:10 pm
Oh, Man! THIS baseball game (Boston RS-NY)Y is a killer. Burnett is one-hitting Carmine Hose. Nuttin to nuttin in bottom of 7th.

Sucks that Ortiz is now for 0-19 and has been leaving 'em on base (so many last night) like I've never seen. Let's hope for the best. We got some new blood in there..mebbe they'll come through.

Back to the game. Anyone else watchin'?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 10:49 pm
What a game was THAT...

JD Drew blew my mind and then...

a hanging breaking ball for A-fraud...

steroids 2 ~ sox 0

ouch.

(i only saw the last 2 innings or so)
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 07:50 am
@Rockhead,

it's not much fun getting the short end of the stick in all these instant classics...
Poppee's press conf today @ 12:30 EDT...
jespah

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 09:17 am
@Region Philbis,
MLBPA Statement on PEDs.

Quote:
First, the number of players on the so-called “government list” meaningfully exceeds the number of players agreed by the bargaining parties to have tested positive in 2003. Accordingly, the presence of a player’s name on any such list does not necessarily mean that the player used a prohibited substance or that the player tested positive under our collectively bargained program.

Second, substantial scientific questions exist as to the interpretation of some of the 2003 test results. The more definitive methods that are utilized by the lab that administers the current Drug Agreement were not utilized by the lab responsible for the anonymous testing program in 2003. The collective bargaining parties did not pursue definitive answers regarding these inconclusive results, since those answers were unnecessary to the administration of the 2003 program.

Third, in 2003, legally available nutritional supplements could trigger an initial “positive” test under our program. To account for this, each “test” conducted in 2003 actually consisted of a pair of collections: the first was unannounced and random, the second was approximately 7 days later, with the player advised to cease taking supplements during the interim. Under the 2003 program, a test could be initially reported as “positive”, but not treated as such by the bargaining parties on account of the second test.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 10:35 am
Momentary aside w/ Mets injury update:
Yesterday, Luis Castillo slipped walking down steps of dugout. Soooooooo....now he's out of the line-up with a strain or sprain.

Mets staff are now interviewing new players using American Idol audition tryouts. Can't wait to hear Paula's assessment of pitchers.

[edit]: I JUST heard Big Papi's interview/press conference. I'm quite satisfied about his response. I can now breathe a sigh of releif and feel comfy with what he did.

I hope these unscrupulous lawyers who are responsible for releasing these leaks of the gov't list. I think they (lawyers) are the bad guys here..had ulterior motives..profits to be made - even though there was some PED usage.

The results of the gov't list is unclear about how reliable or conclusive. There were 83 confirmed test results..don't neccesarily mean ONLY they had to be retested. 13 inconclusive results...etc. Apparently, the players in '03 or '04 were NOT told the results of these tests. Some players tests were positive for PED...but (as an example) 'andro' shouwed a positive result but it was not a banned substance.
Ragman

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 10:51 am
@Ragman,
sorry mistyped:

"...meant they ONLY had to have retesting for possible validation."
jespah

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 03:06 pm
@Ragman,
The way the lawyers are behaving, they really should be subject to disciplinary proceedings.
panzade

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 09:58 am
@jespah,
I raised that point...who the hell benefits from this barn yard beaviour?

On another note: I've come to the conclusion that if Francona doesn't sit Papi down soon, the Sox are not even gonna make a wild card spot.

Martinez can help them more than Ortiz at this point.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 12:24 pm
@panzade,

they can both be in the lineup most of the time, but someone else (lowell most likely) has to sit...

last night's game was especially nauseating bcos our scumbag neighbors had a loud BBQ party next door... lasted until after midnight... bastids.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 01:40 pm
Just won 2 tickets to Red Sox v Tigers at Fenway tomorrow.
Loge box, left field side. Clive is coming with me.
So good!
So good!
So good!
jespah

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 04:26 pm
@George,
Oh George, how totally freakin' awesome is that???
George

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 04:28 pm
@jespah,
I just told Clive. He's ecstatic.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 07:50 am
@George,

perhaps there will be s'more fisticuffs tonight...
panzade

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:06 am
@Region Philbis,
good thing Lowell didn't sit...
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:17 am
@Region Philbis,
Umps better get the game under control before someone gets seriously hurt.
Ragman

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 10:26 am
@George,
OK..I never want to see fights and retaliation pitches etc. However, sometimes you have to respond when you have been singled out for plunking (not an out of control pitch) 2 nightsd in a row.

May this be the emotional spark that jolts the Red Sawx going on a long winning streak.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:55 am
@Ragman,

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2009/08/12/14_youk__1250092127_3378.jpg

hey, they captured the moment porcello crapped his pants...

lowell's new-found strategy --
hit homers so he doesn't have to run the bases...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 12:19 pm

coco crisp got a 7-game suspension last year for charging the mound.
can't imagine youk getting anything less.

no matter how many games he gets, i imagine they'll appeal it and delay things enough to keep him in the line-up against detroit & texas...
0 Replies