The Baseball Thread

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:28 pm
@Region Philbis,
Ha Ha...that is so crazy that that mans slider was just that wicked, and got Kenny Lofton to bail like that...

If you can ever find it, go look at the clip of John Kruk batting against RJ in that one All-star game...

It is also worth checking out because Kruk had a wild mullet...

Mr. Green

I don't think any lead off hitter would want to face that...

That is pretty dang crazy to see that bird shot again...

I guess way back in the day, someone was going to hit a homer...It hit a seagull, and Ken Griffey Jr. caught the bird...and they gave the guy a double...
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:34 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

i remember it like it was yesterday...

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:37 pm
@Region Philbis,
Mr. Green Mr. Green

Pretty much feels like it was just yesterday, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 02:15 pm

wicked pissah...
Quote:
IronPigs to debut 'urinal gaming'

ALLENTOWN, Pa. -- Talk about streaming media: The Philadelphia Phillies' top minor league
affiliate is set to debut what it calls a "urinal gaming system" at its ballpark in Allentown.

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs tapped a British company to install the system in men's restrooms
at Coca-Cola Park.

It consists of a video display mounted above each urinal. When a fan approaches, the video
console will sense his presence and switch into gaming mode. The guy aims left or right to
control the play on the screen.

The team said Tuesday that Coca-Cola Park will be the first sports venue in the world to
feature the gaming system. It'll be ready by opening day next week.

IronPigs general manager Kurt Landes says he didn't want to flush away a golden opportunity
to entertain fans. He says the games are -- wait for it -- "sure to make a huge splash."
(espn)
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 10:57 am
Interesting exhibition game on E.S.P.N. a bit later today if anyone is interested...

Cole Hamels vs Justin Verlander...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 11:58 am
@Region Philbis,
Sounds like just another pissing contest.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 09:44 pm

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/526391_351118704988999_1736416388_n.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/openingday_zps42d8afea.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 05:54 pm

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/10205_351704328263770_552908720_n.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 08:44 pm

yu darvish is 3 outs away from a perfect-o against the 'stros...
fbaezer

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 09:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
You jinxed him!!!
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 03:44 am
@fbaezer,

Mr. Green
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 07:01 am
Yo, goin' ta see da game tonigh' in Nu Yawk?

Going to be COLD, baby, 33° by the seventh inning.

Yanks vs Sox or Mets vs. whothehellcares.

Joe(It's not on cable except Yankee Network)Nation
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 06:10 am
@Joe Nation,

two in a row, bro...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 08:19 am
Heath Bell is off to a fabulous start to his D-Back career ... after .1 inning his ERA sits at 81.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 09:11 am
@Ticomaya,
Mr. Green Mr. Green

Axford, Axford Where art thou Axford?

Where did his talent go?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 09:32 am
@Ticomaya,
I know Bell is not closing anymore right now...but that is why I think that saves are the dumbest stat in baseball...

He was a closer, was solid, blew up, got rattled, and can not get his head straight right now...closers do it time and time again, and why many bounce around...for years...

I draft many on my fantasy teams, because I realized this very early on...then realized that that was the one stat I lacked to try to get a perfect record...in my first ever league...and now it has me all locked up myself to where I care too much about saves, personally, and also know I should not...but can't help it...some sort of subconscious thing...Just like I think closers and saves are...If I was in baseball or a closer...I know I would be terrible at it....Mr. Green
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 12:01 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
D-Backs thought by moving him to a less stressful slot, he might do well. I still think he might, but I don't know what it's going to take. Gibby thought so much of his first performance that he was the only player to NOT play in the marathon game at Chase Field last night.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 12:15 pm
@Ticomaya,
Yeah...I do not know what it would take either...I think that every closer would be different...and some it would help to bring them back into situations gradually...and some I think would probably regain it by being thrusted right back into those situations if they implode...because they have that last fearless mentality as in you have to get by me to win...Here it is...you want it? come get it...

I think any laid back person would suck as a closer...

Pretty much contradictory or counterproductive to the mentality I think you need to succeed at any sport...

It does make it interesting, and it is fun to watch...

But overall I see it as useless, and probably something that will be changed...

Think about it, if it is just for saves, and that is their job...Why not warm them up with one out to go? Or get them to be able to possibly do 2 innings at a time? Why don't teams bring them in when it is non save a bunch more times to prove points? Especially division rivals...They don't have to show all their secrets...

The save thing means nothing...It is all about the ego of the guy at the end...The last thing the other team remembers...If the closer is good, it is going to cause teams to collapse...if one is shaky, or a team does well against them...them it actually hurts the team leading...and it is probably more likely he will give up the lead more than half the times depending on the lead and who is batting...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 08:32 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Axford's talent is lying at a beach right next to Roy Halladay's.
They're on extended vacations.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 08:46 pm
@fbaezer,
Mr. Green Mr. Green

Thumbs up! One thing I thought was crazy...I saw or heard that Halladay went 3 and struck out 9?? Is that true? So every out he got was a k?

Or did someone strike out and then reach on a pass ball or something?

That is a cool bar bet to make with someone...ask someone what is the most amount of strikeouts a pitcher can get in a game if they throw a 9 inning complete game shutout?

When they say 27...Which would be a perfect game...Tell them that they are incorrect...the answer is 3 k's per inning with 3 pass balls, then 3 more with no pass balls...So a player can have 54 k's in one 9 inning, complete game shutout...because 4 pass balls in one inning = a run...