Sarah Palin, too weird.

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 05:55 pm
Meanwhile, re: the possibility of this abrupt departure being related to a big scandal, I remembered reading about this during the campaign:

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/national_enquirer_world_exclusive_sarah_palins_secret_lover_revealed/celebrity/65481

It's the National Enquirer and so my default response is skepticism. At the same time, it was the National Enquirer that pursued and broke the John Edwards story, and it was also the National Enquirer that found out Bristol Palin was pregnant and forced the McCain/ Palin campaign to roll out that info earlier than planned. So while I still don't give the National Enquirer much credence, I don't dismiss it out of hand, either.
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 06:03 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Meanwhile, re: the possibility of this abrupt departure being related to a big scandal....

Yep, I'm still waiting to hear the full story, soz. This was my initial response to such an abrupt announcement yesterday.

(dammit. I couldn't get your link to work.)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 06:03 pm
@sozobe,
A much more simple explanation is that her behaviour during the presidential campaign made it very difficult for Palin to govern, and she does not have much talent for governing, so she quit. She is dim, but not so dim that she does not know that she is dim.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 06:11 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah, that's close to what I said in my first response on this thread:

sozobe wrote:
She only makes $125,000/year as governor, she has a real political morass in Alaska that she needs to deal with and which she seems to be handling rather badly so far, she enjoys being a public figure and can't do it in the way she wants to from remote Alaska, and mucho moolah awaits her if she doesn't have to actually attend to those pesky gubernatorial duties.

I don't think she knows how dim she is though.

Sorry the Nat'l Enquirer link doesn't work for you msolga, would you like me to cut and paste? The title (in the url) says it all really.

Meanwhile, this is another interesting article I just found that leans back towards more prosaic causes (namely, that she doesn't like the WORK involved in being a governor and would like to be more free to do fun stuff like travel to Georgia and preach to the converted):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffrey-dunn/the-real-story-behind-pal_b_225636.html

This part is new to me and makes sense re: timing:

Quote:
Moreover, Palin was facing what would have been a hugely embarrassing veto override by the Alaska legislature at the beginning of the next session in January over her politically postured refusal to accept Federal stimulus funds. If this past legislative session was a setback for Palin, the upcoming session would have been an absolute public relations disaster -- hardly the proper entree for her presidential campaign.
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 06:16 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Sorry the Nat'l Enquirer link doesn't work for you msolga, would you like me to cut and paste? The title (in the url) says it all really.

Nah, soz, if everyone else can read it I really wouldn't want to put your to the trouble. (I'm getting the 404 "Not found" message.) Thanks for offering anyway.

Your next link works just fine. Smile
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 11:37 pm
Hope she does get the nomination. Wouldn't it be great to see this dipshit in a debate with Obama? He'd cut her off at the knees and then decapitate her.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 04:39 am
@sozobe,
SOONER OR LATER, YOU HAVE TO DELIVER AS GOVERNOR . Sarah cant deliver nuttin and shes been found out to be a cartoon character. SO, more correctly, she should be a candidate for NATIONAL OFFICE where not doin anything is a prerequisite.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:51 am
Via TNR, here's a new Palin quiz question. It nicely follows up on my question earlier about who all made fun of Trig, the way Sarah Palin claimed people had, which no conservatives here seem to have touched.

"In a follow-up statement clarifying her rationale for resigning the governorship of Alaska, Sarah Palin [..] reasons:"

Quote:
How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it's about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make.

Here's the challenge: from the top of your head, name just two or three of those "countless others" who resigned without finishing a term to pursue a higher calling, and were not criticized like Palin but instead deemed honorable. Should be easy, no, if there's "countless" numbers of them?
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 12:57 pm
@nimh,
I hope that you're not holding your breath, Nimh.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:18 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
Here's the challenge: from the top of your head, name just two or three of those "countless others" who resigned without finishing a term to pursue a higher calling, and were not criticized like Palin but instead deemed honorable. Should be easy, no, if there's "countless" numbers of them?

It does not happen, America is a brutal environment for quitters. There is no way to come back from being a chick-**** quitter even if one only does it once.
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:21 pm
I suppose that going to five schools in order to get one's degree [was that a two year or a four year; god, I hope it wasn't the former!] might be interpreted as illustrative of a quitter. Or it could show a person who wanted to expand their world view.
roger

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:21 pm
@sozobe,
If you discard stories on the order of alien abductions, there is often some pretty accurate news there. They differ from more legitimate publications in that they pay sources for stories. I won't promise all those stories are completely accurate, but often enough, they're months ahead of the mainstream media.
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:48 pm
@roger,
And then you have Fox that most assuredly isn't paid for its stories, at least directly. It simply provided an avenue whereby the Bush WH could spread its propaganda. Payment comes in many forms.

[edit] not only Fox, the whole MSM were complicit in the lies that led to the deaths of tens of thousands of innocents, but hey, why break a mold that was cast hundreds of years ago?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah, we didn't have Dick Nixon to kick around anymore so he got elected to 2 terms as president.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:10 pm
@nimh,
nimh,

The only ones I can think of left their positions when they were elected to a higher position, Barack Obama for one.

Or perhaps left it in the course of running for a higher office, Bob Dole.

I can't think of anyone that left office for no apparent reason and no stated reason.
FreeDuck

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:26 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Meanwhile, re: the possibility of this abrupt departure being related to a big scandal, I remembered reading about this during the campaign:

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/national_enquirer_world_exclusive_sarah_palins_secret_lover_revealed/celebrity/65481

It's the National Enquirer and so my default response is skepticism. At the same time, it was the National Enquirer that pursued and broke the John Edwards story, and it was also the National Enquirer that found out Bristol Palin was pregnant and forced the McCain/ Palin campaign to roll out that info earlier than planned. So while I still don't give the National Enquirer much credence, I don't dismiss it out of hand, either.

Laughing I love the pic they used. Apparently her secret lover isn't particularly well-endowed.

Meanwhile, does anyone know what her "higher calling" actually is? That's what has me baffled. What exactly is she doing now?
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:36 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
Meanwhile, does anyone know what her "higher calling" actually is? That's what has me baffled. What exactly is she doing now?

Fishin'.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:40 pm
Did she ever actually say she was resigning or stepping down? I just read her whole schpiel that nimh linked to and she says she decided "not to seek re-election" more than once, and then that she's transferring authority to the lieutenant governor. But she never says she's resigning. I also peeked at her twitter page -- lot of tweets about her "decision not to seek re-election" and nothing about stepping down. Is that just marketing or is something else afoot?
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:45 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
I just read her whole schpiel that nimh linked to ...

You don't really think that one can read a genius like Sarah and expect to understand what she says the first time, even the second time around, do you, FreeDuck?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 10:31 pm
Quote:
Many political observers in Alaska say the governor was a disengaged presence around the state Capitol since she returned from the presidential campaign trail, and it was obvious her heart wasn't in the job.

Palin no longer delivered bagels to lawmakers. She limited her access to the media, and when she did hold news conferences, and she relied on notes and her commissioners for backup.

"She had a surprising amount of disinterest in state government after November," said state Rep. Les Gara, D-Anchorage. "This state has a lot of problems, and she showed a complete lack of interest in solving them."

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090706/US.Palin.Struggles/