Sarah Palin, too weird.

engineer

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:13 pm
@msolga,
I heard it all on NPR and she really needs to slow down and get a better speech writer. As to motives, as Sanford showed, it is really hard to be a governor and anti-Obama. As governor, she really has to take the federal stimulus money. Once she leaves the position, she can move into a more Limbaugh like role of all criticism all the time.
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:27 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
..it is really hard to be a governor and anti-Obama. As governor, she really has to take the federal stimulus money. Once she leaves the position, she can move into a more Limbaugh like role of all criticism all the time.

Hmmmm, dunno about that, engineer..... I'm sure that there have been state governors in the past who have publicly opposed federal government policies? And might even have gained political mileage (from those who support their views) by doing so? I'd have thought that governorship provided her with a much better platform to extol her views than as a private citizen?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:32 pm
@msolga,
There's an interesting piece on her in the August issue of Vanity Fair.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/08/sarah-palin200908

6 pages
georgeob1

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:38 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Look at these paras for example:

Quote:
If I have learned one thing: LIFE is about choices!

And one chooses how to react to circumstances. You can choose to engage in things that tear down, or build up. I choose to work very hard on a path for fruitfulness and productivity. I choose NOT to tear down and waste precious time; but to build UP this state and our country, and her industrious, generous, patriotic, free people!

Life is too short to compromise time and resources... it may be tempting and more comfortable to just keep your head down, plod along, and appease those who demand: "Sit down and shut up", but that's the worthless, easy path; that's a quitter's way out. And a problem in our country today is apathy. It would be apathetic to just hunker down and “go with the flow”.

Nah, only dead fish "go with the flow".

No. Productive, fulfilled people determine where to put their efforts, choosing to wisely utilize precious time... to BUILD UP.

So, uh .. she wants to "work very hard on a path for fruitfulness and productivity", so .. she resigns from the only executive governmental office she's ever held.

She wants to "build UP this state and our country", so she resigns as Governor of said state. In order to, instead ... well, that's a bit hazy. To "work for and campaign for those PROUD to be American", in some unspecified way.

Her "choice is to take a stand and effect change", by .. um ... "effect[ing] positive change outside government at this moment in time, on another scale, and actually make a difference for our priorities". We'll get back to you on what that means, and what she's actually going to do that's so much more "fruitful and productive" than, you know, governing a state.

All she can ask now "is that you TRUST me with this decision " but it’s no more “politics as usual”." So that's OK then.

In case you haven't caught on with the redefinition of what words mean, please note the new, Palinesque logic:

• Remaining in office as Governor is the equivalent of "Sitting down and shutting up".
  • Finishing your term as Governor is "a quitter's way out". Actually quitting the office is the opposite.
  • "Hunker[ing] down" and finishing your political term would be "apathetic". Quitting the office prematurely to "work for and campaign" for Americans in unspecified, non-executive ways is taking political responsibility.

Seriously - wtf?

I don't think it is too hard for you to figure out Nimh, that is if you really want to do so. She was rather clear that as a result of persistent and sometimes outrageous media attacks and slanders, some involving her children, and fairly constant allegations of misconduct from politically motivated groups, allegations which have so far proved to be groundless, but time-consuming and expensive to defend, she has come to the conclusion that to remain in office she would have to seriously compromise the needs of the state, her political goals, and perhaps her personal standards.

She did make a difference in Alaska, a state previously notable for rather corrupt government. She is a relatively young woman with a good deal of life yet before her. Perhaps she didn't think staying in these circumstances would be either fair to the state or worth the candle to her. Perhaps a modern day Cincinnatus, albeit on a smaller scale.

I agree that a real political animal would do whatever the situation required to stay in office. However, that isn't my idea of all that is truly admirable.
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, ehBeth. Now that is interesting!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:48 pm
@msolga,
from the VF piece

Quote:
A year ago, 80 percent of Alaskans viewed Palin very favorably or somewhat favorably; by this spring, just 55 percent had a positive opinion.

All this has given rise to speculation in Alaska that Palin may not run for re-election next year. She does not have to declare her candidacy until June 2010.

Most politicians of both parties in Alaska with whom I spoke assume she could win, though not as persuasively as she did in 2006, which would hardly help her standing in a 2012 presidential campaign.

Though Palin’s spokeswoman has said she does not intend to challenge Senator Lisa Murkowski, the former governor’s daughter, who is also up for re-election next year, Palin has changed her mind without warning in the past, and becoming a senator would keep her in the national spotlight.

Surveying the landscape of political and policy troubles in Alaska, Gregg Erickson, an independent economic consultant in Juneau, concludes, “Everything she’s doing seems to be saying that there’ll be a problem in the future owing to her inattention, but she won’t be here to deal with it.”

since the word was already out there, no point in delaying the announcement that she was leaving

the gal's got bigger fish to fry than Alaska
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:54 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Tell, me, Georgeob, do you want her to be the US president?

eh?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 07:01 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

Tell, me, Georgeob, do you want her to be the US president?

eh?
I would think that following George's knee replacement his lust would evaporate into more pragmatic political matters lie maybe Romney.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 07:03 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I'm sure that there have been state governors in the past who have publicly opposed federal government policies? And might even have gained political mileage (from those who support their views) by doing so? I'd have thought that governorship provided her with a much better platform to extol her views than as a private citizen?

But look at what happened to Sanford. He tried to turn down all those stimulus dollars on principle and ended up losing in court and getting battered by his own legislature. Palin is in the same position. It's one thing to disagree with the policy, but at the end of the day, no state is really going to turn down that money. I'm not saying that her only motivation, but I thought it was an interesting position. Most governors use the state house as a launching point for their national aspirations. Palin no longer needs that, so she can jettison the baggage, the need to negotiate, the endless state polls showing her favorability ratings and go into full time anti-Obama mode.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 07:22 pm
@msolga,
hehehehe

VF says don't blame/credit them for the resignation - it's all about Runners World.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-410--13221-0,00.html

I am Sarah. I've got coverage I couldn't have paid for.
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 07:23 pm
@engineer,
Now you're getting into nittier-grittier US political goings on, engineer. And I won't pretend to have a detailed knowledge of these things. So I'll leave any comments on Sanford to others more in the know, if they want to. (I'm surprised the someone hasn't already told me to butt out of a US political discussion. This has been known to happen before! Wink )

Quote:
Most governors use the state house as a launching point for their national aspirations.

This is what I was getting at in my post.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 07:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
As I get out there and run, I see the most beautiful signs of this evolutionary process that has created the mountains and the glacial retreats that have left the valleys and the rivers

evolution created the mountains. that's good, right?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 07:29 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
He tried to turn down all those stimulus dollars on principle
horsehocky, he tried to turn down the stimulas dollars speculating that the voters would approve. The voters wanted the jobs regardless of principles.
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 07:35 pm
@ehBeth,
She certainly doesn't miss an opportunity, does she? Wink Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 07:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, ehB, I just read page 1 of the Runners World piece (I'm an old subscriber). Maybe I'll look back on the next batch of pages, but probably not.

I'm a moderate fan of running, though I grew to have qualms about it - but don't equate it with virtue. Still, running or not, that's not a measure for me of capability in government.

But there is plenty of piffle out there about dems too.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 07:50 pm
@ehBeth,
well yah...first there was a huge rock and over time it eveolved into rock groups....hell, everyone knows that Wink
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 08:41 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
He tried to turn down all those stimulus dollars on principle
horsehocky, he tried to turn down the stimulas dollars speculating that the voters would approve. The voters wanted the jobs regardless of principles.

Or that voters elsewhere in the country would approve. If you're a Rep candidate, SC is in the bag, so you can screw them with impunity.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 08:48 pm
My guess is that she will get an afternoon tv show at the same time as Oprah. Apple pie type Americans will be guests. As elections near, Republicans will have a venue to reach the American voters. Just a guess.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 10:06 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I'm watching her announcement.

Why am I not surprised. One thing's for sure, Sarah Palin is certainly bright enough to be a Republican candidate.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 10:14 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
I can't believe for a minute that she believes she's a serious contender for presidency. Or that the Republicans would even consider such a notion after her disastrous impact on their last presidential campaign.

You clearly haven't been paying attention, Msolga. Smile