Sarah Palin, too weird.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 09:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I missed that story. I can't give the guy a pass on it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 10:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Never heard of Karon. Good writing though
dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 11:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Jesus wept...hadn't heard about that one.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 11:17 pm
@panzade,
Karon is an editor of TIME so you may have read him in the past.

His analysis on the Mid East in particular tends to be top rate.
blatham

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 05:34 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thankyou for the tip. That's a very clear and bright analysis. I wasn't aware of the fellow either.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 05:41 am
finn wrote:
Quote:
Say what you will about Sarah Palin, but only she could bring both Nimh and blatham back to A2K.

Nah. Wrong assumptions, again. Nothing to do with Sarah the Stolid. It was Franken.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 05:54 am
Michael Tomasky, writing at The Guardian
Quote:
People, if the woman insists on continuing to provide material like this, how on earth can I stop writing about her?

She spoke with ABC news, which just posted the lamentable results this morning. Here's the salient passage:

Quote:
But as for whether another pursuit of national office, as she did less than a year ago when she joined Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., in the race for the White House, would result in the same political blood sport, Palin said there is a difference between the White House and what she has experienced in Alaska. If she were in the White House, she said, the "department of law" would protect her from baseless ethical allegations.

"I think on a national level, your department of law there in the White House would look at some of the things that we've been charged with and automatically throw them out," she said.

Oh yes, of course. The good old Department of Law. Uh...there is no Department of Law. There's a Department of Justice. And, in the White House, there's an Office of Special Counsel.

But - and this is in some ways the more interesting point, aside from the basic stupidity - it is neither institution's role to "automatically" throw out ethics allegations against the chief executive. I can understand that maybe that's how it seemed to her in the Bush-Cheney era. But that really isn't how it works.

Just remember as we go forward, and please excuse my language, but: Are we really going to have to endure serious talk about the national ambitions and chances of a woman who doesn't even know that the United States of America has a ******* Department of Justice?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 05:57 am
I personally think that if Israel and Iran decide to hurl nukes at each other it's their business. I personally think they're all a bunch of assholes and a real insult to both Jehovah and Allah and we'd be better off without the whole damn bunch.

Unfortunately the whole damn bunch refers to a handful of dipshits on both sides of the problem that start wars and bomb flingings that Joe Lunchbox has to pay for with he and his families lives.
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:03 am
@blatham,
Youve got to expect these minor nomenclature difficulties when first becoming accustomed to a new job.

Airline pilots are the only ones that I feel should have complete command of all the parts and gizmos when they first sit down in the seat.
blatham

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:17 am
And here's Kudlow over at NRO:
Quote:
I’m all for Gov. Sarah Palin’s move over the weekend. It’s time for her to get out of Alaska’s small-town, ankle-biting politics. Now she can take her show on the road. This is a woman brimming with charisma and raw political appeal. That’s why everyone’s afraid of her, and attacking her. In other words, Sarah Palin has the power to reinvigorate conservatism and republicanism.

One hesitates to argue with a genius. As Kudlow suggests, there's little to honor and much to despise regarding small-town, rural America. It is a paltry and desolate place that, at its best, reaches perhaps up to the ankles of metropolitan America and, when it has attained that height, might try to take a bite or two of its betters. Quite like fleas, really.

Personally, I'm afraid of Kudlow just as much as I'm afraid of Sarah. Intellectual towers, the two of them.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:29 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Youve got to expect these minor nomenclature difficulties when first becoming accustomed to a new job.

Airline pilots are the only ones that I feel should have complete command of all the parts and gizmos when they first sit down in the seat.

I'm sympathetic to your point here farmerman. For example, I'm now selling purses (a prime item in our new Portland store) and, thank god, I don't have to have the full sweep of purse-knowledge (there's more to it than you might think; aesthetics, function, status, longevity, comfort, access, the apparently important capacity to hide everything from telephones to lip-balm to sequined derringers for a period of weeks or even months) in order to recommend them to discerning customers.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:59 am
Off topic to be sure, but has anyone noticed the ad at the end of this page, something or other for weight loss? It seems that they have the photos mixed up. It shows a pretty tight tummy on "Day 0" and a tubby one on "Day 30", yet it proclaims, "I lost 34 pounds in 30 days. Read my shocking story".

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:59 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I personally think that if Israel and Iran decide to hurl nukes at
each other it's their business. I personally think they're all a bunch
of assholes and a real insult to both Jehovah and Allah and we'd
be better off without the whole damn bunch.

Unfortunately the whole damn bunch refers to a handful of
dipshits on both sides of the problem that start wars and bomb
flingings that Joe Lunchbox has to pay for with he and his families lives.

I understand that a somewhat similar situation presented itself
to President Nixon, when the Russians were in the midst
of chronic disagreement with the Red Chinese.

I heard that the Russians asked President Nixon if it 'd be OK with him
if the Russians nuked the Red Chinese, but Tricky Dicky nixed that: no nuking.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 09:08 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Quote:
Michael Tomasky, writing at The Guardian
Are we really going to have to endure serious talk about the national
ambitions and chances of a woman who doesn't even know that the
United States of America has a ******* Department of Justice?

Is that the department that enforces the Mann Act ?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 09:34 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You could find a more credible political figure than this one to be an apologist for, but, to each his own.

How you find what I wrote to be an apology for Palin is beyond me, but, as you noted, to each his own
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 09:41 am
@engineer,
I put Gingrich in the same sentence as Palin and Quayle becauase all three were savaged by the media in a way no Democrat ever is.

So spare us your despair.

Neither Palin nor Quayle are the intellectual equals of Gingrich and I would not have voted for either of them for president, but neither are they cartoonish figures you and so many others make them out to be.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:52 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

FINN WROTE
Quote:
It's pretty clear that once Palin rose from obscurity and became a formidable conservative figure,

For God's sakes Finn, take off the blinders. Sarah Palin is not a formidable conservative figure and it seems a lot of conservative posters on this forum haven't figured that out. She's one of the reasons your party lost the election.

You might want to follow your own advice.

Anyone with the popular support Sarah Palin enjoys among Republicans is a formidable figure. She will make millions on her book deal and command speaking fees in excess of $50,000. Republican candidates throughout the country are going to be seeking her endorsemenst and campaign participation. Despite the pundits' announcement of her political death she remain a popular choice for 2012 among Republicans.

If you choose to dismiss her, that's fine. A lot of people dismissed Bill Clinton, Barrack Obama and George W Bush.

As I've already indicated, I hope someone other than Palin rises to prominence in the Republican party by 2012, but to deny her influence is silly.

If she were simply a field soldier in the political and culture wars, she would not have been the target of the all out attack she has sustained.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 11:18 am
@nimh,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If you want to see how truly disgusting and utterly moronic political discussion can be, you just have to take a look at some of the postings on this thread.

True, H2O's and Yankee's posts are pretty pathetic.

Oh, you mean you only mind when it's liberals? 'K...
[/quote]

I'm not sure what point you think you've made.

First of all, my comment was directed at those postings that criticize Palin in a crude and juvenile manner, and I don't think Yankee or H2O are guilty of any of those.

Secondly, I'm not a fan of any of the childish name calling that masquerades as debate in this forum, no matter who the poster may be, and if I were criticizing it, I would include any practicing poster, irrespective of their politics. I'm not though. Not because I don't find it ridiculous and boring, but because I’ve come to the conclusion that it's irrelevant. Except for those posters who have actually met (and I suspect they do not trade epithets as freely) we are all anonymous cyber-entities. One avatar calling another avatar an asshole isn't much of an outrage, and I’ve decided there’s no need to respond to or criticize the practice.

When entities have used personal information about other posters or their families in their attacks I have condemned it. Beyond that, they can all knock each other out.

In any case, we digress from the issue at hand.

Do you have a response to my posts that goes beyond suggesting I am a hypocrite?

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 11:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I've never painted Palin, Quayle or Gingrich as cartoonish figures. I respect Gingrich (though not his policies) and I've always felt that Qualye received a bum rap. My problem with Palin is what I posted earlier. My problem with the Republican party is that its enthusiam for Palin has not diminished as the evidence has built that she is not cut out to be a leader of the country. We all love the story of the outsider, the every-day man, who rises above cynical politics using common sense and humility to forge a better path for the nation. Palin would like to paint herself in that role - a diamond in the Alaska rough bringing sanity to Washington. But the goods aren't there. Palin is no Susan Boyle stunning all of us with her unexpected capabilities however much she would like us to believe she is. We went looking and all we found were self serving platitudes. Her resignation strikes me as proof that she is not willing to sit in the big chair and make the hard decisions necessary to lead. Resigning is so easy in comparison and blaming others for her difficulties seems to be par for the course. Alaska is in great shape compared to many other states right now. Showing some leadership in Alaska is not the monumental task it would be somewhere else. You don't see Arnold running from a $27 billion deficit in California. I agree that Palin faces a double standard in the press. There is definitely a sexist tinge to some of the negative coverage of her. There is a sexist tinge to the positive coverage as well. I'd go so far as to say almost all of the positive coverage has been sexist. It's certainly not due to her carefully thought out policy statements. I haven't seen her offer a well thought out argument for a single one of her policy positions. Her statements look like RNC 10 second sound bites. If Palin is starting to seem cartoonish, it's because that is how she is painting herself.
msolga

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:13 pm
@blatham,
Ha! Welcome back, blatham!
0 Replies