Now you are on my ignore list!

ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 09:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David wrote:
Long live Joe McCarthy in the love and high esteem of all good Americans !

Joe McCarthy has never had the love nor the esteem of good Americans. History has had time to judge Senator McCarthy harshly, and to all but a few hard-liners, Senator McCarthy is now regarded as a dangerous buffoon.

The judgment of history started with Edward R. Murrow

Quote:
[Senator McCarthy's] primary achievement has been in confusing the public mind, as between internal and the external threats of Communism. We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men -- not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular.

Edward R. Murrow was a great American.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 09:28 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Er....

The issue with McCarthy is not that he was a hard-liner against Communism.

The issue with McCarthy is that he was riding the wave of public fear, feeding that fear, in order to establish a power base. And the people that he persecuted were not revolutionaries.

McCarthy was just another demagogue.

Quote:
Main Entry: dem·a·gogue
1 : a leader who makes use of popular prejudices and false claims
and promises in order to gain power

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/demagogue

I think that the essential silent implication
of your post is that we shoud have been faint hearted
or LESS robust in our waging of World War III.

From that proposition, I dissent.

"False claims" u say ??
U mean that the commies did NOT really want to conquer and enslave the world ?

Was Cuba just a joke ?
Red China n North Korea: thay were only KIDDING ?
Thay were not sincere about the terror and communist slavery ?

The commies were MORE despotic than the nazis
in that the Reds tried to control and police THOUGHT itself, not just overt conduct.

I surmise that 's not scary to u;
indeed, u believe that fear of the communists is somehow immoral ??

Were u disappointed and saddened when communism collapsed and its slaves were freed ?

When that happened, that was the second most joyful time in my life.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 09:33 am
@ebrown p,

If I had to put my faith in anyone to defend America from communist slavery,
it woud certainly NOT be Edward R. Murrow.

Maybe u think Tailgunner Joe shoud be judged by Herbert Matthews, for that matter.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 09:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Sorry David...

Your hero was discredited publicly. He was censured by the US congress. He died as a drunk 4 years later.

... and the United States did just fine without him.

(Ironically before all of this, Joe McCarthy took lots of flack for opposing the death sentences for a group of Nazi's convicted of the massacre of US POWs in WWII. His argument was based on allegation that their conviction had been obtained through the use of torture.)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:23 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Quote:
Sorry David...

Your hero was discredited publicly.

U can look at it that way, if u wanna.
I don 't join u.

ebrown p wrote:
Quote:
He was censured by the US congress. He died as a drunk 4 years later.

That 's false, but the Senate did.
I am certain that U will be alive 4 years from now
and that u will not drink during that time.

ebrown p wrote:
Quote:

... and the United States did just fine without him.

Maybe America 'd have won the First World War without Sgt. York
and we 'd have won the WWII without Audie Murphy,
but thay were good soldiers and helped us.
As to the 3rd World War, that applies also to Tailgunner Joe.

Quote:

(Ironically before all of this, Joe McCarthy took lots of flack for opposing the death sentences for a group of Nazi's convicted of the massacre of US POWs in WWII. His argument was based on allegation that their conviction had been obtained through the use of torture.)

U don 't think that 's a distinct issue,
deserving separate attention ?

`
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The false claims were that there were lots of Communist subversives in the US, and particularly in the US government. And, yes, they were false claims.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:53 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

The false claims were that there were lots of Communist subversives in the US, and particularly in the US government. And, yes, they were false claims.

I MET a lot of those communist subversives in the US
that u claim do not exist; (I did not meet the ones in government).

David
DrewDad

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I suspect you actually met a bunch of posers.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:46 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I suspect you actually met a bunch of posers.

Thank u. I 've been pacing back n forth,
hoping to figure out what u suspect.
Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I, too, am a fan of Senator McCarthy. I wish that he, and not Humphrey, had won the 1968 Democratic nomination. Great guy!
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:17 pm
@Thomas,
I actually campaigned for him, Thomas.
Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:24 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew, you just climbed yet another few notches on my cool-o-meter.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Long live Joe McCarthy in the love and high esteem of all good Americans !

OOF! ...the sound of my esteem for David's posts taking a body hit.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/swann/herblock/images/s03479u-th.jpg
farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:52 pm
@panzade,
Unlike Republicans, we of the moderate /liberal bent dont have many sacred oaths and shibboleth. We kind of accept anybody , even when many of their ideas are kind of whacky.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:56 pm
McCarthy used tactics that would make the KGB proud. What better way to undermine the freedom of Democracy than for a person in power to persecute those he might disagree with, and use lies when truth does not fit the agenda.
farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:04 pm
@Green Witch,
Mcarthy's memory has been fully rehabilitated and facts surrounding his actions have been fully sanitized.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:04 pm
@Green Witch,
I lived through the McCarthy times in some immediate ways, though I was a kid then.
Scurrilous.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:06 pm
@farmerman,
David seems to have a crush on Ann Coulter who has been working overtime to resurrect the hero Joe McCarthy. Among other talking points Coulter has brought up:

Quote:
# "Liberals have a preternatural gift for striking a position on the side of treason."
# "Whenever the nation is under attack, from within or without, liberals side with the enemy."
# "Liberals attack their country and then go into diarrhea panic if anyone criticizes them."
# "Whether they are defending the Soviet Union or bleating for Saddam Hussein, liberals are always against America. They are either traitors or idiots, and on the matter of America's self-preservation, the difference is irrelevant. Fifty years of treason hasn't slowed them down."
# "Whether they are rooting for the atheistic regimes of Stalin and Mao, satanic suicide bombers and terrorists, or the Central Park rapists, liberals always take the side of savages against civilization."
DrewDad

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No more than I've been on tenterhooks wondering who you've met in your life.

<shrugs>
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:02 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

David seems to have a crush on Ann Coulter who has been working overtime to resurrect the hero Joe McCarthy. Among other talking points Coulter has brought up:

Quote:
# "Liberals have a preternatural gift for striking a position on the side of treason."
# "Whenever the nation is under attack, from within or without, liberals side with the enemy."
# "Liberals attack their country and then go into diarrhea panic if anyone criticizes them."
# "Whether they are defending the Soviet Union or bleating for Saddam Hussein, liberals are always against America. They are either traitors or idiots, and on the matter of America's self-preservation, the difference is irrelevant. Fifty years of treason hasn't slowed them down."
# "Whether they are rooting for the atheistic regimes of Stalin and Mao, satanic suicide bombers and terrorists, or the Central Park rapists, liberals always take the side of savages against civilization."

Nice post, pan.
0 Replies