Now you are on my ignore list!

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:12 pm
This in an emerging trend in A2K culture that I don't understand. Several times I have seen posts in the form of "that does it! now you are on my ignore list".

I don't think the ignore list has much value. I put a couple of people on ignore... only to end up clicking the little placeholder anyway... meaning I end up spending more time with their petty, mean-spirited posts.

The in-your-face "ignore-list announcement" seems to be both obnoxious and self-defeating. Ignoring, by its very nature, is a passive act, done silently and without fanfare; it is a breaking off of communication. An announcement, by its very nature is an act of communication-- the very opposite of what ignoring is supposed to be.

I haven't noticed that I have been the target of an ignore-list announcement (I may have missed one). I think I would probably consider it an honor.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 28 • Views: 11,750 • Replies: 188

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:14 pm
That's it . . . i've had it . . . welcome to my ignore list, Mr. Commie Pinko Fag-lover . . .
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:28 pm
@ebrown p,
It's akin to a temper tantrum.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:40 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I don't think the ignore list has much value. I put a couple of people on ignore... only to end up clicking the little placeholder anyway... meaning I end up spending more time with their petty, mean-spirited posts.

Uh, you're the one who doesn't get it... usually when one ignores someone, one ignores them completely... "by clicking the little placeholder" after you've put them on ignore, YOU'RE defeating the purpose. Why bother to do that if you want to ignore them? LOLOLOL

ebrown p wrote:

The in-your-face "ignore-list announcement" seems to be both obnoxious and self-defeating. Ignoring, by its very nature, is a passive act, done silently and without fanfare; it is a breaking off of communication. An announcement, by its very nature is an act of communication-- the very opposite of what ignoring is supposed to be.

To ignore someone isn't necessarily to have the intent to not communicate - it's to not have to read their posts anymore (regardless of whether you communicate with them). There are lots of posts I read but never respond to - using the ignore function keeps those people or topics out of my face.

And I agree with Intrepid - it's probably a way to say "nyah, nyah" to someone.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:54 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I haven't noticed that I have been the target of an ignore-list announcement (I may have missed one). I think I would probably consider it an honor.

Oh, believe me, it is!

Thank you, thank you very much.

I don't know if it was more of an honor to be told I was on an ignore list, or being told to crap in a cap.

Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:56 pm
@chai2,
don't crap in bpb's hat, he'll throw ya off the porch...

Wink
chai2

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

don't crap in bpb's hat, he'll throw ya off the porch...

Wink

balconey, aksuly.

hey, I was someone's FIRST ignore.
I never popped a cherry before.

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 07:56 pm
I have mixed feelings about this. So far, as far as I've been informed, I'm being ignored by only one poster on A2K -- OhmyGodDavid. In a way, sure it's an honor. The man is un undeniable nut-cake, squirrel bait for sure. But if he continues to ignore my posts, then how can I possibly help him?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 08:19 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Back when this was all a new thing, I think I did list my ignores on some thread or two, for which I now hereby apologize, and I can easily imagine I'm on other people's ignore listings. That list of mine changed. I use the function only once in a while, to cut the level of aggravation on a site that I visit as recreation, often, sometimes intensely and sometimes flitting. I usually, though not always, move people back off of it near immediately. I just think of it as a rest maneuver, no big deal.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 08:28 pm
I find the ignore funtion and the collapse thread function extremely valuable and have thought several times to send yet another thank you message to Robert for implementing them. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to do just that. Thanks Robert!
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 08:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
I can't see you, I have you on ignore!

(I don't use it myself but always thought the announcements kinda defeated the purpose myself)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 08:35 pm
@Butrflynet,
I totally agree with you on the collapsed thread function. But so far I've yet to put anyone on ignore. I've considered it from time to time but always changed my mind. I'm interested in the opinions of even the most depraved, demented and befuddled posters. Some of them provide comic relief.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 08:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
I just found a good analogy for what the ignore feature is. It's like a browser ad block plugin. Most people can ignore ads without any help too, but some don't want to even have to ignore them, they just want them gone and off the screen real estate.

I wonder if there's a correlation between adblock lovers and ignore feature lovers. I don't use adblock either.
NickFun

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:11 pm
I have never out anyone on ignore, including ImSickDavid and GanjaSnake. I find their posts silly to the point of amusing and it always reminds me "there are people out there like that".
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 03:02 am
I think the purpose of announcing that someone is going on igore is not to ignore but to manipulate.

Those people I have on ignore, don't know I have them on ignore. I understand eBrown's point about viewing an ignored user's post though. I get curious sometimes.

T
K
O
Intrepid

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 03:08 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this. So far, as far as I've been informed, I'm being ignored by only one poster on A2K -- OhmyGodDavid. In a way, sure it's an honor. The man is un undeniable nut-cake, squirrel bait for sure. But if he continues to ignore my posts, then how can I possibly help him?

You too? I think that most of us are on his ignore list. Just as well since, in his mind, only his opinion counts. Wink

Funny thing.... he continues to respond to posts. Go figure.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 03:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
Your signature line made me almost want to put you on ignore.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 03:13 am
@Intrepid,
Interestingly, he did the opposite of anouncing he was ignoring me. He recently informed me why he took me off ignore. I didn't even know I was being ignored by him. He responded to all my posts, I didn't know any different.

I think the real lonely poster is the possum. I can't imgaine how many people actually can see his posts. I think that's why he posts so frequently. It creates a column of "user ignored" which is hard to visually ignore.

T
K
O
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 03:31 am
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:

I have never out anyone on ignore, including ImSickDavid and GanjaSnake.
I find their posts silly to the point of amusing and it always
reminds me "there are people out there like that".

I don 't think much of u either,
but u were never bad enuf to justify putting u on Ignore.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 03:53 am
@ebrown p,
Theres only one person who, in my estimation, deserves ignoring, and its not becuase hes a nut or any concerns about his sanity. (Gungasnake is just a hoot and realizing that there "are people out there like that is a constant source of amusement to me also). My "ignored one" continually interferes with the flow of a thread and, when ignored, he doesnt get in the way. HOWEVER, Unless everyone has a person ignored, it doesnt really do much good because those people who dont have said person on ignore, will attempt to respond to the ign ored one with their own remarks (He pisses almost everyone off). They often quote the ignored ones previous post which just brings the thoughts of the ignored into full public view and keeps it going .Even if I ignore and dont "peek", The responses by others to the ignored one keeps his thoughts alive, and sometimes I will respond by talking directly to the person who quoed the ignored one.

I speak, of course, about SPENDIUS, who, can use so many paragraphs and make so many literary references to say absolutely nothing. He almost is afraid to engage in the topic directly , so he does his en passant interaction by using long quotes of irrelevant material. He seems to not like anyone and goes to great lengths to try to heap ridicule on anyone besides himself. His thoughts are meaningless and they do burden a conversation with irrelevant sidetracks. SO, he is the exact target for the ignore function and , on most days I can go along without even knowing he exists. However, when he pisses someone else off, they will stop a thread and begin berating the ignored one and thats usually good for a page. Im sure it validates his existence because hed otherwise not get much response except in the Brit thread where everyone is polite to each other. (So polite that I begin to wonder if everyone over there isnt related to everone else)

0 Replies