Now you are on my ignore list!

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 03:55 am
@Intrepid,
Merry Andrew wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this. So far, as far as I've been informed, I'm being ignored by only one poster on A2K -- OhmyGodDavid. In a way, sure it's an honor. The man is un undeniable nut-cake, squirrel bait for sure. But if he continues to ignore my posts, then how can I possibly help him?

I just don 't respect u enuf to desire your assistance.

Intrepid wrote:
Quote:
You too? I think that most of us are on his ignore list.
Just as well since, in his mind, only his opinion counts. Wink

Not most; it depends on how badly someone grosses me out
with toxicly obscene language, as a general rule,
or in 2 cases, guys who were too harsh in abusing others.
One guy is a fairly decent historian, but who is chronically caustic
in his insolence of everyone; no one is safe from his unprovoked malice.
I don 't wanna look at that.

My world (i.e., my sphere of cognition) is happier without them.

Intrepid wrote:
Quote:
Funny thing.... he continues to respond to posts. Go figure.

I respond to your posts because u r not on my Ignore list.
Go figure. If someone quotes a banished pariah
so that I know what he said, then I might possibly respond, if I feel like it.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:29 am
for what it's worth, I like David.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:40 am
@Diest TKO,
I don't have anyone on ignore, so when the Possum starts his marathon posting sessions, i simply scroll past them. At Abuzz, when someone was behaving in a trollish fashion, people used to post "scroll, scroll, scroll!"--meaning they thought people should just scroll past the nuttiness or the hatefulness.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:44 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

doesn't matter if I don't agree with everything he believes. I agree with an unnamed portion.

Even the ideas I don't agree with doesn't mean he shouldn't have his beliefs.

I don't have anyone on ignore, but if I did, it'd be someone who never makes any sense at all. that's not david.

I would miss a lot of good info if I ignored david.
David doesn't need my defense, but I'm always puzzled why his positive attributes are never commented on. And there are those.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:45 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

I find the ignore funtion and the collapse thread function extremely valuable
and have thought several times to send yet another thank you
message to Robert for implementing them.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to do just that. Thanks Robert!

I must agree with this point of vu.
To my mind,
its not so much a matter of differences of opinion;
I can be and have been content in debates with liberals, commies and a nazi,
if thay are civil in presenting their opinions.
That means no use of obscene language including scatological references.

Some people are personally unpleasant beyond our willingness to tolerate.
Since we don 't have to put up with that,
if we don 't wanna, then we DON 'T.
Hence, the value of Ignore and of collapsing threads.

I see little glory in keeping silent about putting someone on Ignore,
tho I have done that when its been too tedious to figure out WHAT he means.
To my mind, its OK to tell a churlish man that because of his lack of decency in expressing himself,
he is unworthy of further attention and ergo, he is banished below the nether regions of cognition.
I have no problem with that.

David
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:51 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

chai2 wrote:

David doesn't need my defense, but I'm always puzzled why his positive attributes are never commented on. And there are those.

Would you please point these out for the more dense of us who are unable to see some of them?
chai2

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:52 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

chai2 wrote:

chai2 wrote:

doesn't matter if I don't agree with everything he believes. I agree with an unnamed portion.

Even the ideas I don't agree with doesn't mean he shouldn't have his beliefs.

I don't have anyone on ignore, but if I did, it'd be someone who never makes any sense at all. that's not david.

I would miss a lot of good info if I ignored david.

Would you please point these out for the more dense of us who are unable to see some of them?

No - you'll just argue the points, what's the use?

How about just accepting a person for who he/she is?
Intrepid

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:55 am
@chai2,
My intent was not to argue anything. I asked a question and was only looking for an answer. I genuinely wanted to know.

I accept for who they are. I was only curious as to what points you were referring to.
chai2

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 05:10 am
@Intrepid,
You weren't merely asking a question. Your phrasing of "for the more dense of us" was meant with sarcasm.
You weren't "only looking for an answer", but an opportunity to show you really aren't dense, but have the only correct way of viewing things. i.e. being a sheep and going along with the crowd in saying david is for whatever reason "unlikeable" I put that in quotes because many other negative words could be put in there.

You don't genuinely want to know, or you wouldn't have phrased your question the way you did.

wow....david likes guns. let's all agree not to agree with one word he ever says about anything.

All I'm saying is the guys ok in my book. Same as set is ok even though he can bait and badger with the best of them. I like Set a tremendous amount. Same as you are ok even though you twist and turn your words, ignoring what you want, as it suits you. Same as most people here are ok even though they have the audacity to not be just like me.

I hope I'm ok in most people books, despite my not being much like them.

That's all I'm going to say about that.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 05:20 am
@chai2,
I like u too, Chai; and I like your voice.
In my mind, the role of Chai is played by actress Julia Duffy.

Most other denizens of A2K interact with me on a basis of ideological adversity.
This colors their demeanor.
When I advocate one of the positions that thay LIKE, their affect changes abruptly.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 05:24 am
@chai2,
Quote:
David doesn't need my defense, but I'm always puzzled why his positive attributes are never commented on.

Even in th heat of a discussion turned vituporous, David never loses his impish sense of humor. Hes never gone for the cheap shot and hes always grounded in his arguments. He drives me nuts with his unconditional support of the second Amendment without limits , however, hes never reorted to adhominems of those who disagree. Even his occasional departures from priestly manners involve logical insults. Like his recent comment above when someone commented on the fact that David had him on ignore and Dave came back with , in effect "Well I just dont need your help"
How can you get flummoxed at that?

Dave does have an annoying habit of liking to pick up rocks and hand them to someone else to throw however, and he seems to be gifted in the lawyerly art of entrapment.

Dave is an asset.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:02 am
LOL. I just remembered someone else I'm ignoring. I guess that mean the ignore function is working.

Meh, I'll chime in on David. I don't understand virtually any of his logic, and I it feels like pure madness at times. For the agent of chaos is, impolite he is not. I guess what separates him from those I do have ignored is that I feel like even though I don't understand what he's trying to contribute, I feel like he actually is trying to contribute (emphasis on "trying"). Those who I have on ignore offer no merit, and I suspect don't care to.

I think the waterboy just likes to rile up CI and send him into grumpy old man mode.

T
K
O
chai2

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:24 am
Julia Duffy?

Yeah, this seems like the kind of advice I'd give my daughter....

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:30 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Hes never gone for the cheap shot . . .

I guess everyone's irony detectors are turned off today. In a recent post, he has said that he puts people on ignore because of incivility. In the same post, he refers to members of this site as commies and nazis.

It is the nasty, invidious reflection on the character of others, most noticeable in the gun nut threads, which lead me to refer to him as I'mSickDavid. He objected, and i offered to bury the hatchet. He went right back to the kinds of comments about commies and cowards he has been using in the past, so i went right back to referring to him as I'mSickDavid. He has put me on ignore, which is certainly no skin off my nose. Talking about him as though he were a paragon of civility, however, sticks in my craw.

David's "civility" is certainly a relative thing, and apparently, very much in the eye of the beholder.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:31 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Dave is an asset.

You have too many letters in that last word, here, let me fix that for you:

David is an ass.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:01 am
If someone told me I am on his ignore list, I would take it as helpful information. This way, I would never waste time responding to their posts.

(No one would ever put me on ignore, anyway. I am harmless.)
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:14 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
I think the waterboy just likes to rile up CI and send him into grumpy old man mode.

That made me laugh...I do love me some grumpy old men though.

My kids use this phrase in their own words. " I am not going to play with you anymore".
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:18 am
@chai2,
I always liked Set. I would just not be able to live with him.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:19 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Can you blame him?
Intrepid

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:19 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

You weren't merely asking a question. Your phrasing of "for the more dense of us" was meant with sarcasm.
You weren't "only looking for an answer", but an opportunity to show you really aren't dense, but have the only correct way of viewing things. i.e. being a sheep and going along with the crowd in saying david is for whatever reason "unlikeable" I put that in quotes because many other negative words could be put in there.

You don't genuinely want to know, or you wouldn't have phrased your question the way you did.

All I will say is that you are totally wrong on all counts here.
0 Replies