Talking to your kid about "the n- word".

Below viewing threshold (view)
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:58 am
@genoves,
genovese
Quote:
Such evidence and insights are essential in a thread about the "n-word"

w w wwwwwhy??

would you have boomer discuss the word nigger with her child by quoting Sowell or Steele?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:56 am
@genoves,
Quote:
Such evidence and insights are essential in a thread about the "n-word"

Evidence of what? Disparities in cultural attitudes toward formal education? What in the name of logic and sanity does that have to do with a discussion of the 'n-word'? To say it is essential shows a total disconnect from reality.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 12:52 pm
I wish more people would vote down the folk engaging trolls so as not to empower them (trolls) so.
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 12:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I wish more people would vote down the folk engaging trolls so as not to empower them (trolls) so.

I'm ignorant: How does one vote down trolls so as to unempower them?...seriously
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:22 pm
@panzade,
Instead of replying to them, vote them (and the folk who keep engaging them) down. If enough people do that it makes their posts collapse (for those who have not opted out of this setting) and then instead of being an echo chamber for disruption you contribute towards reducing its effect.
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
thanks....I'm on it
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
robert gentel said:

Quote:

So its not just the asshole on this thread who has spent 30 posts filibustering it you think is the problem, but the people who confront him for his behavior? Coming from the only person on this thread who actually has the power to banish this prick again, (for what, the fifth time?) you have a weird way of supporting the health of your own creation.

You'll notice that I have taken your advice, simply because it has become too much like booing a spastic participant of the Special Olympics.

But it is time for you to do something other than clutch your pearl necklace and click your teeth.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:12 pm
@kuvasz,
Quote:
So its not just the asshole on this thread who has spent 30 posts filibustering it you think is the problem, but the people who confront him for his behavior? Coming from the only person on this thread who actually has the power to banish this prick again, (for what, the fifth time?) you have a weird way of supporting the health of your own creation.

Obviously you never got the memo that at the NEW a2k the collective is responsible for their own health. Members are assumed to be adults, it is assumed that they will conduct themselves as adults, even though clearly this is not always the case. The collective has been told repeatedly that we must now police ourselves.

It is an interesting experiment, if nothing else.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Obviously you never got the memo that at the NEW a2k
the collective is responsible for their own health. Members are
assumed to be adults, it is assumed that they will conduct
themselves as adults, even though clearly this is not always the case.
The collective has been told repeatedly that we must now police ourselves.

It is an interesting experiment, if nothing else.

Has something changed ?
Is there some new policy now ?

I was not aware that we had been told something.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Has something changed ?

I think what has changed re the member mentioned is that we have Craven's word that with the new A2k only illegal content will be redacted/banned. We have the tools to rub away any post or members that we don't want to see, we have control of our space, so there is no longer a need for the a2k gods to do the work.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:54 pm
How interesting. Poof, he's gone. Scroll back and see if he's disappeared on your screen too.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:40 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

David wrote:
Quote:
Has something changed ?

I think what has changed re the member mentioned is that we have Craven's word
that with the new A2k only illegal content will be redacted/banned.
We have the tools to rub away any post or members that we
don't want to see, we have control of our space, so there is no longer
a need for the a2k gods to do the work.

I 'm not sure whether I understand this accurately.
I saw Robert Gentel 's post about voting down trolls
and those who engage them. When u refer to the new A2K,
do u mean since that post on this thread,
or new beginning from something else ?

I did not see any post regarding laissez faire except only illegal content.
Can u direct me to that ?

David
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 02:34 am
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:
So its not just the asshole on this thread who has spent 30 posts filibustering it you think is the problem, but the people who confront him for his behavior?

Yes. If you feed the trolls they'll come back for more. And giving them attention not only keeps them around but amplifies the noise. Instead of just the trolls disruptions you have double or triple the amount of noise generated in response. And even more specifically, we made a limit of X posts within X time unless someone else replies. The reason for this was to avoid allowing one person to render a thread useless. But each time someone else posts, this limitation is reset. So even worse for the rest of the thread perusers is that the useless replies to the useless trolling enable more trolling than would occur if the disrupting party had to wait for a useful post to reset the flood control.

As to the whole banning thing...

1) It's not appropriate for site staff to discuss individual banning with the general membership and public calls to ban a member are never going to be a part of the moderation process.

2) Using a flood of posts to disrupt threads is something we will ban for as volume-based disruptions can render all social tools useless (imagine what it'd be like if we allowed robotic spam posts) but we are avoiding censorship in favor of giving the tools to the members to control what they see.

We are all supposed to be adults, and this is a free site without enough volunteers to staff it without having to get back to handholding disputes like flaming and trolling. And those are very subjective things that members are likely to disagree on our interpretation of with frequency so they are very labor intensive.

Instead we made (and are planning to keep making) tools to let the members have better control over their own experience and have made all the members moderators through voting. By default, when something is voted down enough by others it is collapsed. Users who don't want this to occur can disable it in their preferences, and it can be overridden on an individual basis through voting as well.

So if you want to take out the trash you can help do so. But it isn't reasonable to expect the site staff to do all the work forever. The community needs to be self-sustaining, and the only way for the moderation to perfectly scale with the activity levels if for the members themselves to become involved and for them to participate in the process.

This is why I said you should vote them down if you feel this way, instead of giving them attention and taking up more of the threads with their disruptions you can contribute to lessening their presence for those who have the default settings of collapsing topics and posts below a certain threshold.

It's a feature that could be a lot better, and that I have an algorithm ready to greatly improve it but it does currently work as long as the members want it to. But if you are determined to give the trolls attention then there's not much other than draconian control that we can do about it, and we aren't going there.

So that's why I vote down the folks who reward garbage with attention. They should help take out the trash instead of wallowing in it and spreading it around.

I know it isn't always easy to ignore, I don't always manage to myself, but as much as possible I recommend that people just don't take the bait and I ask that those who do care help moderate the site through voting.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 03:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well put Robert
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:49 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Actually, the most important thing to know is that if he uses such a word he is asking for a fight and he should be prepared to get clobbered.

Now that he knows what the word means, if I catch him using it I might be the one to clobber him.

I generally agree with the sentiment... but...

I've been trying to teach Eorlette that words themselves are merely words, that there is nothing inherently naughty about thinking or saying any word, but that words, along with other human actions, can be used as tools and weapons. Using some words will make people extremely upset hurt or angry, and she should be careful about using words she doesn't understand. Sooner or later she will know all the taboo words and should choose carefully when and where to use them if at all.

I think she should be free to use any words she chooses as long as she understands and accepts the consequences. Words can be powerful weapons and she may need them to physically defend herself one day. I would not have her feel any guilt that didn't have a corresponding hurtful impact on someone.

So if I heard her use that word in a deliberately derogatory way, I would also go ballistic, and explain that I was myself hurt and disappointed in her attitude, so same outcome but possibly a different philosophy behind it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 11:16 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

boomerang wrote:

Actually, the most important thing to know is that if he uses such a word he is asking for a fight and he should be prepared to get clobbered.

Now that he knows what the word means, if I catch him using it I might be the one to clobber him.

I generally agree with the sentiment... but...

I've been trying to teach Eorlette that words themselves are merely words, that there is nothing inherently naughty about thinking or saying any word, but that words, along with other human actions, can be used as tools and weapons. Using some words will make people extremely upset hurt or angry, and she should be careful about using words she doesn't understand. Sooner or later she will know all the taboo words and should choose carefully when and where to use them if at all.

I think she should be free to use any words she chooses as long as she understands and accepts the consequences. Words can be powerful weapons and she may need them to physically defend herself one day. I would not have her feel any guilt that didn't have a corresponding hurtful impact on someone.

So if I heard her use that word in a deliberately derogatory way, I would also go ballistic, and explain that I was myself hurt and disappointed in her attitude, so same outcome but possibly a different philosophy behind it.

For purposes of physical defense,
it behooves a citizen to carefully analyze
which means will most reliably accomplish the job of self-preservation.
My own consideration of this question resulted in a 2 inch .44 special revolver,
loaded with hollowpointed slugs to optimize energy dump within the target;
(that and plenty of practice).

I doubt that verbal antagonism is sufficiently reliable to get the job done.

David
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 11:23 pm
David, I suspect that, if you were to use the word, and were attacked as a result, and used your chosen means of self-preservation, you would find yourself separated from your chosen means for the next 10 to 20 years by cold gray concrete walls with iron bars on the windows.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 12:55 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

David, I suspect that, if you were to use the word, and were attacked as a result,
and used your chosen means of self-preservation, you would find
yourself separated from your chosen means for the next 10 to 20
years by cold gray concrete walls with iron bars on the windows.

U have raised the point of PROVOKING an attack.
My remarks were directed toward innocently defending from aggression.

Do u c a difference ?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 02:03 am
Oh, THIS is the thread that was talking about voting down trolls. I didn't know you could do that until Robert mentioned it above. Then I noticed the resident troll's most recent post was rated, I think, -4. I gave it another thumbs down and it disappeared entirely, not even that little "below threshhold" notice, or whatever it is. That seemed interesting, so i went back and thumbs-downed the most recent half-dozen or so of his posts (all also rated down in negative numbers) and they vanished too. What does that mean?

Did they just disappear from this topic?
Did all his posts disappear, or just the ones I clicked?
Did they only disappear for me, or in everybody else's screens too?
Does he get booted if his approval rating drops below a certain point, or does it have to be done over and over again?

Then I couldn't remember, the next day, which thread he'd been flooding and couldn't find it again until today.

I haven't seen him since. Is he gone, or are they just readjusting his meds again?

There was a certain satisfaction in making the posts disappear, kind of like the Whack-A-Mole game at the midway at state fairs. But in spite of Robert's explanation I do feel a little uneasy at just removing him from the discussion in spite of the trolling. In spite of the fact that his behavior hasn't changed in at least nine years one does hope that eventually he might become a mite more civil, which certainly won't happen if he just keeps getting booted. Of course it doesn't look like it's going to happen if he's here either.