Talking to your kid about "the n- word".

Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 12:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I thought the most important thing to know is the word reflects a racist historical usage and should not be used by people today

NO

SHOULD is a personal position, which you are free to hold, so long as you don't demand that others agree with or conform to your beliefs. If you believe that you should not use the term then don't. But you are not free to control other people's choice on the matter.

The thread is what is the meaning of the word. If someone wants to travel to how the word is used then they should talk about how the word is used, not how they THINK or FEEL that the word should be used. Keep in mind that the N word is really two words, nigger and nigga. Nigga usage is:
Quote:
In practice, its use and meaning are heavily dependent on context.[1] Presently, the word nigga is used more liberally among younger members[2] of all races and ethnicities in the United States, although its use by persons not of African descent is still widely viewed as unacceptable and hostile, even when used without intentional prejudice. In addition to African Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans, Latin Americans and European Americans[3][4] have adopted the term as part of their vernacular.

There is conflicting popular opinion on whether there is any meaningful difference between nigga and nigger as a spoken term.[5] Many people consider the terms to be equally pejorative, and the use of nigga both in and outside African American communities remains controversial.[6] H. Lewis Smith, author of Bury that Sucka: A Scandalous Affair with the N-word, believes that "replacing the 'er' with an 'a' changes nothing other than the pronunciation"[7] and the African American Registry notes, "Brother (Brotha) and Sister (Sistah or Sista) are terms of endearment. Nigger was and still is a word of disrespect."[8] The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, a civil rights group, condemns use of both nigga and nigger.[5]

Some African-Americans express considerable offense when referred to as a nigga by Caucasian people, but not if they are called the same by other African-Americans, or by some other minority, as a term of endearment.[5] In this case, the term may be seen either as a symbol of brotherhood,[9] similar to the usage of the words dude and bro, and its use outside a defined social group an unwelcome cultural appropriation. Critics have derided this as a double standard.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigga

Nigger and Nigga are not dead words (archaic), those who think that they are are wrong. Those who teach that the words are historical artifacts are either wrong or they are liars.

I should have said, "should not be used by people today, if they want Foofie to associate with them!" That makes sense.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:25 pm
@kuvasz,
Quote:
finn said
Quote:

The topic of this thread seems very appropriate to the following question.

Do you believe the person who has used multiple screen names, among them, genoves, is actually mentally disabled?

Nope, but for the first time, in over eight years of dealing with this plucky fella' he finally revealed the source of his pain and mental anguish. He was not promoted and a black or woman got the job he wanted. It reminds me of the Jesse Helms political advertisement in '90.

I, on the other hand, have considered that very possibility quite seriously and quite some time ago. It's one of the main reasons I try not to engage with a multiple-personality joker like that on any kind of serious basis. There are times when this character is quite out of control and not really responsible for what he posts.
kuvasz

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 03:03 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry, you might well be entirely correct. It is quite true that Schizophrenia presents itself with delusions and formal thought disorder. I guess we are doing the real world a favor by securing the safety of massy's neighborhood in keeping him off the streets at night while he posts on a2k.

Generally, I've just thought of him as an idiot-savant, though heavy shaded to the idiot side.

btw: The Raymond character in "Rainman" was not based upon an autistic person, as Massy presumes, but an idiot-savant.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:50 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
I should have said, "should not be used by people today, if they want Foofie to associate with them!" That makes sense

GLORY BE the US Constitution, which envisions both the right to free speech for all and the right to associate as we wish.
Below viewing threshold (view)
panzade

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 09:46 pm
@genoves,
you're both right...now shut up Razz

Quote:
The Rain Man's Disorder: Savant Syndrome
Rare, amazing condition

By Mary Kugler, R.N.,
The 1988 movie Rain Man introduced people to a rare but amazing disorder called savant syndrome.

Savant syndrome is extremely rare. People with autistic disorder, developmental disability, or mental retardation may be born with it.

http://rarediseases.about.com/cs/neurodisorders/a/052502.htm

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:01 pm
@Foofie,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I thought the most important thing to know is the word reflects a racist historical usage and should not be used by people today

NO

SHOULD is a personal position, which you are free to hold, so long as you don't demand that others agree with or conform to your beliefs. If you believe that you should not use the term then don't. But you are not free to control other people's choice on the matter.

The thread is what is the meaning of the word. If someone wants to travel to how the word is used then they should talk about how the word is used, not how they THINK or FEEL that the word should be used. Keep in mind that the N word is really two words, nigger and nigga. Nigga usage is:
Quote:
In practice, its use and meaning are heavily dependent on context.[1] Presently, the word nigga is used more liberally among younger members[2] of all races and ethnicities in the United States, although its use by persons not of African descent is still widely viewed as unacceptable and hostile, even when used without intentional prejudice. In addition to African Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans, Latin Americans and European Americans[3][4] have adopted the term as part of their vernacular.

There is conflicting popular opinion on whether there is any meaningful difference between nigga and nigger as a spoken term.[5] Many people consider the terms to be equally pejorative, and the use of nigga both in and outside African American communities remains controversial.[6] H. Lewis Smith, author of Bury that Sucka: A Scandalous Affair with the N-word, believes that "replacing the 'er' with an 'a' changes nothing other than the pronunciation"[7] and the African American Registry notes, "Brother (Brotha) and Sister (Sistah or Sista) are terms of endearment. Nigger was and still is a word of disrespect."[8] The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, a civil rights group, condemns use of both nigga and nigger.[5]

Some African-Americans express considerable offense when referred to as a nigga by Caucasian people, but not if they are called the same by other African-Americans, or by some other minority, as a term of endearment.[5] In this case, the term may be seen either as a symbol of brotherhood,[9] similar to the usage of the words dude and bro, and its use outside a defined social group an unwelcome cultural appropriation. Critics have derided this as a double standard.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigga

Nigger and Nigga are not dead words (archaic), those who think that they are are wrong.
Those who teach that the words are historical artifacts are either wrong or they are liars.

Foofie wrote:
Quote:

I should have said, "should not be used by people today,
if they want Foofie to associate with them!" That makes sense.

In THAT case,
if that is important to them, thay shoud carefully conform to ALL of Foofie 's criteria.
Those of us to whom that is less important, need not bother with that.

For MY part, I am more approachable.
I am more tolerant of diverse opinions and freedom of their expression,
to the point where I 've even associated with commies, nazis, n politically correct people.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Foofie wrote:
Quote:
I should have said, "should not be used by people today,
if they want Foofie to associate with them!" That makes sense

Hawkeye wrote:
Quote:
GLORY BE the US Constitution,
which envisions both the right to free speech for all
and the right to associate as we wish.

SO STIPULATED !

David
panzade

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:12 pm
@genoves,
Quote:
May I respectfully( you remember I complimented your approach a few days ago) suggest that you refrain from the use of the term-_"Shut Up". It is not respectful!

You're absolutely right...I don't know what came over me....these political threads bring out the beast in me sometimes
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:33 pm
Now, when faced with evidence and documentation, the left wingers Kuvasz and Merry Andrew cannot rebut the substance. What they can do, of course, is what they have done over and over--name call and utilize Ad Hominem devices.

I am ready, if they wish, to repost the evidence above in a later place in this thread so that they do not have to travel too far to try to rebut it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The thread is dead, poor Jud.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:25 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

The thread is dead, poor Jud.

It coud be possible that maybe someone will come back and post to it.
Sometimes people post to them several months or even a few years later.