Talking to your kid about "the n- word".

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:02 am
Re: genoves(Post 3686013)
Quote:
I think that there are other things that may cut to the "bone of a person's existence

How about the need to be dishonest about who you are and what you believe, for instance??

It is not only in Arab and Persian countries were saying what is not wanted to be heard will earn one an immediate attack. Most people cower in the face of the threat of retribution for non conformance. Not everyone will, thankfully.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:03 am
Re: hawkeye10 (Post 3686015)
Hawkeye 10--You are, as usual, correct. I admire those who tell the truth even though it is not politically correct. One of my favorite professors, who taught my brother, is the great political scientist at Harvard, Harvey Mansfield, who, in revolt against the idiotic cheapening of grades which occurred when so many blacks came on to the campus(affirmative action) of course, gave two grades---One was the grade for the official transcript, the other was the grade that they really earned.

Well, Hawkeye 10, I am sure that Professor Mansfield really "cut to the bone of some people's existence when he said:

'White students must admit their guilt so that minority students do not have to admit their incapacity"

That quote should be carved into a stone wall on Harvard Square for all posterity to see!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:10 am
genoves, massegetto, bernard, or whoever you are tonight in that split-level head.

Please, take your hands off the keyboard and step away from the computer. You are in violation of the a2k thread filibuster laws.
genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:40 am
@kuvasz,
Stick it in your ear, Kuvasz. You evidently have not read my posts, I am giving you an opportunity to do so.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:40 am
Re: hawkeye10 (Post 3686015)
Hawkeye 10--You are, as usual, correct. I admire those who tell the truth even though it is not politically correct. One of my favorite professors, who taught my brother, is the great political scientist at Harvard, Harvey Mansfield, who, in revolt against the idiotic cheapening of grades which occurred when so many blacks came on to the campus(affirmative action) of course, gave two grades---One was the grade for the official transcript, the other was the grade that they really earned.

Well, Hawkeye 10, I am sure that Professor Mansfield really "cut to the bone of some people's existence when he said:

'White students must admit their guilt so that minority students do not have to admit their incapacity"

That quote should be carved into a stone wall on Harvard Square for all posterity to see!
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:41 am
Quote:
I think that there are other things that may cut to the "bone of a person's existence

How about the need to be dishonest about who you are and what you believe, for instance??

It is not only in Arab and Persian countries were saying what is not wanted to be heard will earn one an immediate attack. Most people cower in the face of the threat of retribution for non conformance. Not everyone will, thankfully.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:42 am
I am willing to be convinced. Is it only conservative Blacks like Dr. Thomas Sowell that can write well? Snood has posted frequently but never says anything or offers any evidence or positions based on documentation.

He is most brief;

Note:
Snood wrote:
Re: boomerang (Post 3684976)
bravo, boomerang .
Is he just shy? I hope that he is not exhibiting a lack of learning or ability to discuss ideas. If he is, he is not being a good example for his race and, therefore, should desist from posting!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:58 am
http://aja.freehosting.net/genoves%20aka%20rainman.jpg
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:09 am
I can write posts that have not been responded to. I am aware that some of my posts are not accessible to those who cannot read well. I hold fast to the philosophy of Able2know that no one is able2Know if they do not or can not read the posts.

I am appalled that Kuvasz would make fun of disabled people. I thought that Kuvasz was concerned about the pain that derision would cause to minorities.
Perhaps Kuvasz is not aware that Dustin Hoffman, the actor who portrays Rain Man is Autistic. I wonder why Kuvasz makes fun of Autistic people. Would Kuvasz make fun of an Afro-American autistic?
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:18 am
Kuvasz is obviously biased against Autistics.Otherwise, he would not use a picture which shows autistics in a bad light. Why is he so intolerant towards autistics? Was he attacked by an autistic person sometime in the past. Did he have an autistic person in his family who somehow injured him?

What we need is real understanding about autistic persons and autism.

Otherwise, the result will be not only violent language about autism, but also real violence against autistics, like the killing of three-year-old Katherine McCarron by her mother. Katherine’s death is terrible proof positive"negative"about the harm"the abuse"the murder of autistics. There have been public outpourings aplenty of pity for family members who (even if they contemplate murder and suicide) are glorified for their “suffering” in raising an autistic child, while the greatest (unglorified) suffering is the child’s. And not to think first of that child and of her or his needs is yet another act of violence…………..

……….. I am having a very hard time finishing this post whose vocabulary of more than fighting words"violence, weapons, killing, murder, violence"keeps making me (as it should) shiver. The death of a autistic child at her autism mother’s hands is terrifying even to think about for me, being an autism mother of an autistic child. My mind keeps turning to"frivolously to some, perhaps"Greek mythology, to Greek tragedy, to Agamemnon who allows his daughter Iphigeneia to be sacrificed so that the Greek ships can sail to Troy, in revenge for which his wife Klytemnestra murders him in his bath after he returns home from the war.

Aeschylus’ Agamemnon presents this deed, as well as the murder of the Trojan princess Kassandra who predicts her death in visions of blood-drenched walls. But it is other words of Aeschylus that make a gesture towards summing up what I feel in reading about the dead
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:18 am
Quote:
HAWKEYE 10 WROTE:

0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:24 am
Diest TKO wrote:

The use of many words like the n-word rarely become positive as much as they become meaningless. Meaningless however only in the sense that the speaker applies no (or marginally small) amount of the meaning of the word.

Consider oversaturation.

The phrase "I love you" is an overwelmingly posisitve thing, but in our media culture, we can become quickly desensitized from it's use. We don't react to those words like we once may have. To quote Ze Frank: "It's like there is infaltion on the currency of romance." However, no matter how saturated our language becomes with 'I love you's the phrase will not become negative. At most, it becomes meaningless or neutral from its routine usage.

With negative language like the n-word, I'm not convinced it can become positive, but perhaps oversaturated.
0 Replies

sangiusto

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 03:09 am
Itis very obvious that Mr. Kuvasz becomes enraged when faced with a poster he cannot intimidate. Mr. Kuvasz thinks that a discussion can take place if he posts a scene from a movie. That is childish and idiotic. He should, in my opinion, concentrate on the errors he finds in any opponent's blurb and then, use appropriate methods to rebut those errors.
I do not think that intemperate name calling will do any good, especially on a thread called--"Talking to your kid about "the n-word".
sangiusto

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 03:12 am
Hawkeye 10 had a great answer for those who wrote on this thread.

1 Reply report Wed 24 Jun, 2009 12:09 am Re: kuvasz (Post 3686028)
Quote: Kuvasz wrote:
Did it ever dawn on you that some blacks use of the word is to undercut its power when used by non-blacks? In other words, it is an attempt to neutralize a weapon of hate by turning it into an ordinary word.
Hawkeye 10 responded:
I have considered the possibility, and rejected it. Your explanation is convoluted, hyper intellectual and does not conform to my personal experience. I am sure that the guys I know call each other nigga as a form a black pride, as in "I am a nigga, and proud of it". I do have a problem with the black refusal to allow whites to take back the word from the way in was bastardized during the KKK era. I am hoping that we will get there one day.
0 Replies

sangiusto

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 03:15 am
I have learned some important lessons from Hawkeye 10

l. Be honest. Say what you believe!

2. Do not be intimidated by so-called political correctness.

3. Disregard the name callers and those who post ad hominems
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:39 am
@kuvasz,
I wanted to unbury this post:

Quote:
Re: snood (Post 3683311)
Hi Snood.

Glad to see you, but circumstances could have been better to meet on a less hurtful thread. I had scanned through the earlier comments and as I digested them. I thought how they were clinical, unemotional, almost akin to someone trying to hold a dog turd in their hands and remain dignified. No, I thought you're missing the point. A black person would know that it is not something to intellectualize, because the word cuts to the bone of a person's existence and is used not simply to belittle but to obliterate the humanity of the person(s) to which the word is directed . One knows the power of word only by being its object. You don't gets much more concentrated hate from a human being other than that word.

I know you didn't address me, kuvasz, but I just wanted to say that when trying to explain such things to an eight year old you essentially are trying to hold a dog turd in your hand and remain dignified. It's difficult and that's why I asked for help. I think people gave me excellent advice on how to explain it in a way that Mo would understand.

With Mo, and probably with all kids, this kind of thing is a work in progress. The starting point is usually pretty clinical and unemotional.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:53 am
@sangiusto,
Dude, you actually made me laugh. I got you so rilled that you started posting with one of your other a2k accounts. It is funny as hell to see you attempt to buttress yourself by using another personality to defend the bad-craziness of genoves.

btw: Brickhead, the dead give-a-way was the use of "Mr. Kuvasz." You used that unctious title when attacking me back in '03, when you were still on your medication.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:42 am
@kuvasz,
kuvaz

The topic of this thread seems very appropriate to the following question.

Do you believe the person who has used multiple screen names, among them, genoves, is actually mentally disabled?

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:44 am
Massagato finally went over the top totally.

I wonder whether he even realizes that he posted under two different identities on the same thread.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 12:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
finn said
Quote:
kuvaz

The topic of this thread seems very appropriate to the following question.

Do you believe the person who has used multiple screen names, among them, genoves, is actually mentally disabled?

Nope, but for the first time, in over eight years of dealing with this plucky fella' he finally revealed the source of his pain and mental anguish. He was not promoted and a black or woman got the job he wanted. It reminds me of the Jesse Helms political advertisement in '90.

But in all honesty I don't think the poor soul looks like Raymond from "Rainman," nope, but more likely this guy.

http://www.impracticalproposals.com/lol/wildman_fischer.jpg