are the liberals sad about Obama?

panzade

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 07:47 pm
@Foofie,
foofie
Quote:
The U.S. never was involved in any activities against other countries' leaders.

don't be so naive:

Quote:
The U.S. Senate Select Committee chaired by Senator Frank Church (the Church Committee) reported in 1975 that it had found "concrete evidence of at least eight plots involving the CIA to assassinate Fidel Castro from 1960 to 1965."[8]

as you can see from the following quote foofie, Australia and the US had a hand in toppling the Allende government in Chile...we also went after the leaders of Greece and various other countries in S America

Quote:
...the overseas side of Australian intelligence(ASIS by acronym), it turned out was working with the CIA in Chile against the Allende government.

Whitlam(Prime Minister of Australia 1972-1975 )ordered an immediate halt to the operation in early 1973,although at the time of Allende's downfall in September, ASIS was reportedly still working with the Agency
msolga

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:48 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
The U.S. never claimed a right to invade any country. It did it based on following UN directives. The U.S. never was involved in any activities against other countries' leaders.

You have some serious catch-up research to do, Foofie, if you honestly believe that!
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:05 am
@msolga,
Good grief!!!!

Hasn't read any history.

Try Castro, just for starters.

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:16 am
@panzade,
Whoee...that's news to me about the pre-Whitlam government and Allende!

Thanks for that education Panzade!!!!! I wonder what other dirty little American and Brit activities we had our mitts into! as well!!!!! The US has better means of finding out about the awful things you guys do...like the CIA Allende stuff has been published.

Try the Congo and Egypt, at least, also.
msolga

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:23 am
@dlowan,
Try Soekarno/Indonesia.
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:26 am
@dlowan,
I meant Iran, not Egypt.

Pan, I'd love to know about other Australian criminal "black ops" activities...either assisting the US, or anything else, that you know about?

Not on this thread....this is about Obama....but, as I said, you guys have FOI access to stuff we don't.

Only if it's at the tip of your thinking, I don't expect you to research for me or anything.

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:27 am
@msolga,
Was that the Yanks or us?

If it was us, shall we start a "dirty deeds by Oz" thread?

My goddess! Were we sending foreign leaders poisonous vegemite and exploding koalas?

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:44 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Was that the Yanks or us?

CIA (no doubt with conservative Oz government approval.)

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/CIA/McGehee_CIA_Indo.html
msolga

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:50 am
@msolga,
Try Guatemala

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_activities_in_Guatemala

etc, etc, etc .....
msolga

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:57 am
@msolga,
Timeline of CIA Atrocities:
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/CIAtimeline.html

(Check out Oz, 1975, Deb>)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:57 am
Sorry, dys.

Back to Obama .......
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 08:47 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I meant Iran, not Egypt.

... and a democratic government to boot.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 08:51 pm
@msolga,
Sorry MsOlga -- I never got back to you on your post. The problem is, I agree with it, and agreement is so boring. In the future, please write something that will let us set aside our similarities and find a mutually satisfactory disagreement.
Tuleni

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 10:41 pm
A realist knows that a candidate must campaign from someplace that seems so different or liberal, and then that he must guide - or accomplish things - from the center. Obama is not burning bridges and alienating people: he's trying to accomplish his agenda with old-fashioned alliances and he is hoping that even the most entrenched conservatives will see (and hear from their constituants) that it's time to get beyond the differences for the good of the country.

I'm happy about Obama, because he is pragmatic - he wants to get the job done.
Tuleni

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:07 pm
@Tuleni,
Geez. I was just responding to the Q, without seeing your discussion.
My opinion was only about that.

But since you brought it up, I want to continue to believe that the US intelligence services got very scared after the Church Commission, in the early 70's, and stopped doing the most heinous things. . . those things that evidently Jack Bauer does and most of the viewers of "24" (including the Bush Administration) think is SOP. It's not.

Remember all the military leaders who made a stand and statement, affirming that they are absolutely opposed to torture? Many, many people refused to be complicit in the abuses.

How did I get from the dicsussion to here?
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:37 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Sorry MsOlga -- I never got back to you on your post. The problem is, I agree with it, and agreement is so boring. In the future, please write something that will let us set aside our similarities and find a mutually satisfactory disagreement.

That is a most Austenesque turn of phrase.

Very Happy
Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:39 pm
@dlowan,
I probably shouldn't admit that, but I have never read Austen. Did I miss anything? If so, what should I read first?
roger

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:42 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

My goddess! Were we sending foreign leaders poisonous vegemite and exploding koalas?

Is there a redundancy in there, somewhere?
Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:47 pm
@roger,
dlowan wrote:

U-oh! Not only have I never read Austen, I don't know who or what vegemite is. Just goes to show my total ignorance of Australian culture. If I had to guess, I'd say it sounds like a chemical weapon against vegetarians or something.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:49 pm
@Thomas,
Oh good grief.

I can't answer that.

I believe you have missed great riches, but Austen is a matter of taste...though she is definitely in "The Canon".

But her novels are ironic comedies of manners, with much to say about what it is to be human, but set in small domestic spheres, and mainly about whom one is to marry.

Many dismiss them as small.

The joy is in the exquisite language, the irony, and, for me, the reality that it is, indeed, in just such small decisions that we change, shape and demonstrate our moral choices, our intellectiual development, and our lives.

Are we cruel to the annoying and socially and intellectually inferior Miss Bates? Do we treat those we patronise as amusing mannequins to be moved about to please our egos, or do we become aware of the reality of others? Do we learn to truly see ourselves?

I would begin with Emma and/or Pride and Prejudice.

0 Replies