are the liberals sad about Obama?

Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:10 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:
He'll get to the gays eventually; in case nobody has noticed, the guy's been kind of busy with more important issues, like saving the country from financial collapse, restoring our image in the world, and dealing with annoying Republican pests, such as the one in the clip below.

Actually, his "saving the country from financial collapse" has been just as half-hearted as his restoration of due process for detainees and abductees in the war on terrorism. An $800 billion stimulus package to plug a $2 trillion hole in GDP? That's exactly what Obama seems to be doing all around. He's splitting the difference between what George Bush did and what a sane policy would be. Which is a major step in the right direction, but no reason for enthusiasm.
kickycan

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:43 pm
@Thomas,
How were these efforts half-hearted? Do you really think he would have had a chance in hell of getting $2 trillion dollars for the economy? Isn't compromise the best way to get things done in government? He has to compromise a little bit, doesn't he?
Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:57 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:
Do you really think he would have had a chance in hell of getting $2 trillion dollars for the economy?

We'll never find out, because Obama never asked for a large enough stimulus package to plug the hole. Which actually makes my point.

kickycan wrote:
Isn't compromise the best way to get things done in government?

Maybe -- but it doesn't matter because this wasn't a compromise. A compromise would have been that he demand a $2 trillion dollar package (or a bit more), and then have Congress negotiate him down. That would have been a compromise. But that's not what he did. Instead, his opening bid in the negotiation was already a seriously inadequate bill. What was Obama's best selling book title again? The Timidity of Hope?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:02 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Maybe -- but it doesn't matter because this wasn't a compromise. A compromise would have been that he demand a $2 trillion dollar package (or a bit more), and then have Congress negotiate him down. That would have been a compromise. But that's not what he did. Instead, his opening bid in the negotiation was already a seriously inadequate bill. What was Obama's best selling book title again? The Timidity of Hope?

this should not come as a surprise to you, Obama's whole life up till now has been about shooting for the middle, about the unwillingness/inability to apply power. I like obama, I think that he was the best we could get for the position, but a natural leader he is not. He is a facilitator.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:34 pm
I believe many liberals were very excited with the opportunity to vote for a Black candidate for President. Then he won. Many may now appear sad, since it might feel anticlimactic, a la Sinatra singing, " Is That All There Is."
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:37 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
I believe many liberals were very excited with the opportunity to vote for a Black candidate for President. Then he won. Many may now appear sad, since it might feel anticlimactic, a la Sinatra singing, " Is That All There Is."

certainly, but being a racist (overly concerned with race) is supposed to hurt, so I don't feel sorry for them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
I know you're basically brain-dead, Rapist Boy, but consider the numbers--the deficit added up to three or four trillion. Mr. Obama has not spent three or four trillion, which is what would have been required to have doubled the deficit.

Simple addition and multiplication are not your strong suits, huh?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:38 pm
@Foofie,
I don't think as many people did that as the right would like us to believe. The exception is the black community. But even they would not have voted in those numbers for a black Republican, in my view.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:44 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I know you're basically brain-dead, Rapist Boy, but consider the numbers--the deficit added up to three or four trillion. Mr. Obama has not spent three or four trillion, which is what would have been required to have doubled the deficit

I never said that Obama had doubled the the deficit, but I did say that he is sinking America into debt at a much faster rate per day in office than Bush did, so far. I have seen figures that Obama has put America at risk of spending several trillion, that is he as guaranties out there that may end up costing the taxpayer trillions more than has already been spent. We will not know for sometime, but it is certainly possible that in the first 5 months between money spent and money promised that Obama has doubled the deficit....
Foofie

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't think as many people did that as the right would like us to believe. The exception is the black community. But even they would not have voted in those numbers for a black Republican, in my view.

I believe many younger voters were enamored with the thought they they could now prove their "liberal" views by voting for Obama. It was also, I believe, a thing with being part of the "in" crowd, you know, being as cool as Blacks can be, and not Whites.
maporsche

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I have seen figures that Obama has put America at risk of spending several trillion, that is he as guaranties out there that may end up costing the taxpayer trillions more than has already been spent. We will not know for sometime, but it is certainly possible that in the first 5 months between money spent and money promised that Obama has doubled the deficit....

I think that's a fair statement.

Quite scary, isn't it?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:48 pm
@Foofie,
I believe that is horse crap. While it may be true of a handful, it is not sufficient to win an election. But you go on and think it if it makes you happy.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:50 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:

I believe many younger voters were enamored with the thought they they could now prove their "liberal" views by voting for Obama. It was also, I believe, a thing with being part of the "in" crowd, you know, being as cool as Blacks can be, and not Whites

the word you are looking for is "progressive", by voting for obama and helping his effort they were proving to themselves how much more advanced they are than previous generations. They are certainly easier to swindle, because they don't understand basic concepts like power, they don't know history, they don't know themselves nor what humanity is like, and they are blind to the dark side of the force. They are poorly educated which makes them great marks for the con men.
msolga

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:59 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
I believe many younger voters were enamored with the thought they they could now prove their "liberal" views by voting for Obama. It was also, I believe, a thing with being part of the "in" crowd, you know, being as cool as Blacks can be, and not Whites.

You don't think it might have had something to do with the fact that he's highly educated, has plenty of energy & drive, is obviously very smart, plus extremely articulate (especially when compared to his predecessor) do you?) Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:10 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
You don't think it might have had something to do with the fact that he's highly educated, has plenty of energy & drive, is obviously very smart, plus extremely articulate (especially when compared to his predecessor) do you?)

of course not...in american politics those are considered handicaps.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:08 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I believe that is horse crap

Nope, just a foofieism, Edgar.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:34 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

I believe many younger voters were enamored with the thought they they could now prove their "liberal" views by voting for Obama. It was also, I believe, a thing with being part of the "in" crowd, you know, being as cool as Blacks can be, and not Whites

the word you are looking for is "progressive", by voting for obama and helping his effort they were proving to themselves how much more advanced they are than previous generations. They are certainly easier to swindle, because they don't understand basic concepts like power, they don't know history, they don't know themselves nor what humanity is like, and they are blind to the dark side of the force. They are poorly educated which makes them great marks for the con men.

The word is NOT "progressive" because that FALSELY implies
that there is a designated and undisputed goal toward which
we are all moving and we all desire to move,
toward collectivism and away from personal freedom.

Liberalism, or deviation, can be toward ANY direction, not just to the left.
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You really are a one trick pony, Om. How is it possible that a mind that is supposed to be mensa quality can be so one track?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:43 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

You really are a one trick pony, Om. How is it possible that a mind that is supposed to be mensa quality can be so one track?

I think you know the answer to that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:54 am

Liberals are defiantly feeling less warm and fuzzy about Obama.
0 Replies