Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 03:37 pm

LIBERALS ARE BOTH SAD & ASHAMED OF OBAMA
panzade

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 03:44 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O
Quote:

scram squirt....did you read the thread title?...it says liberals....or did you finally come to your senses and convert? Shocked
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 03:46 pm
@panzade,

panzade, your love of squirts tells me that you must be a walking talking sperm bank waiting to accept your next deposit.

Piss off!
panzade

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 03:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
come on dude....don't get all pissy on me...

I won't mention the word s****t again....now rearrange your drawers and go terrorize a Genoves thread
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 03:55 pm
@panzade,

Cowboy up or piss off!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 07:43 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
did you read the thread title?...it says liberals

Actually, it says "the liberals" and it's hardly an invitation to self-professed liberals only.

"Are liberals sad about Obama?"

I don't know why they should be.

If you are, what did you want him to do in the first few months of his presidency that he hasn't done?

If you are sad, what has he specifically done to make you feel that way?

Accusing him of being "Republican-lite" is pretty vague.

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 07:51 pm
This is interesting. I'd really like to hear more about how Democrat supporters have assessed Obama's performance to date. Pros & cons in a little more detail, please?
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:01 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I think that's why he got so much of the moderate/independent vote. I always thought he was a centrist.

Me too, and posted on the Obama '08 thread several times about how disappointed the far left was going to be when they figured out that it was their wishful thinking that was trying to pull Obama further left than he actually is.

The far left persists on trying to pull him and the country further left at the expense of any chance we have at succeeding with the moderate initiatives currently obtainable while he is in office and we have the majority in Congress.
panzade

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
FINN
Quote:
Actually, it says "the liberals" and it's hardly an invitation to self-professed liberals only.

Actually, I was kidding around with H2O
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
The far left persists on trying to pull him and the country further left at the expense of any chance we have at succeeding with the moderate initiatives currently obtainable while he is in office and we have the majority in Congress.

Apparently, "moderate" is a relative term.

If your comment is on point then it places me in the unbelievable position of cheering for the "far left."
panzade

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
FINN
Quote:
If your comment is on point then it places me in the unbelievable position of cheering for the "far left."

Finn, I'm interested in your take on Obama's first 100 days
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:20 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

This is interesting. I'd really like to hear more about how Democrat supporters have assessed Obama's performance to date. Pros & cons in a little more detail, please?

I'm not a Democrat but I am a supporter, msolga. Using Thomas' post as a starting point...

Thomas wrote:
I'm not saying I'm too happy about him either. I think he could do a better job on human rights in the war-on-terror detainees, show a little more guts on gay marriage, and generally take a more distinctive stand on civil rights issues. But overall, my feelings for him amount to lukewarm support rather than sadness. Which is the same way I felt about him during the election campaign.

I'm ecstatic compared to my happiness meter with the previous administration. I think he's doing a good job of walking a fine line in a number of arenas including Guantanamo, Iraq and the rest of the middle east, the economy (yes, I accept the premise that we had to dump a TON of money into banks and autos to save the rest of us from sinking into a black hole), and most of all health care.

I don't expect him to support gay marriage when he stated outright that he opposes it, but favors civil unions. I strongly endorse gay marriage, but it's ok with me that he doesn't because I don't want my government leaders fussing with moral/social issues regardless of their personal opinions. With everything else that he's throwing himself into I'm ok with gay marriage being off his radar for the time being (or forever).

I'm not sure which civil rights issues Thomas would like to see better handled --- Guantanamo perhaps, and I agree, but that's a pickle he inherited and there is no good right answer on how to handle that debacle.
msolga

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:38 pm
@JPB,
Thanks for a thoughtful response , JPB. Interesting. I'd genuinely like to hear more considered views from the US about perceptions of his performance so far. (Preferably not along the lines of this sort of nonsense: "Worst President Ever, Liberaltardation, Huge Mistake" Rolling Eyes )
I'll just be reading along & hopefully gaining a bit of grassroots insight.

Is it 100 day already? Surprised

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:42 pm
@msolga,

Not interested in truthful responses?
engineer

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:44 pm
@JPB,
Also not a Democrat, but an Obama supporter.

My thoughts so far:
Iraq/Afghanistan - A: Continued on the security progress already made under Bush. Made it clear we want to leave. Moving to support Afghanistan forces. Completely in line with my expectations

Economy - B: Inherited a tough situation. I'm good with the economic theory behind the stimulus package. It seems like we are going to have a bad recession, but not a disaster. Banking stuff is another bad situation. Maybe could have been handled better. Car bankruptcies done reasonably well. Time will tell.

Middle East - A+: Finally told Israel that the way to lasting peace does not include expanding settlements and made it stick in Congress, in private, and in public. Rejected Israeli diversions about Iran. Nice speech in Cairo. Immediate dividends when the Lebanese rejected Hezbollah. Possible dividends in Iran as well.

War on Terror - B-: Released some torture photos but did not come completely clean. I don't know what is in the remaining photos, so I can't second guess the President, but it seems like backpedaling. Working to close Gitmo. Moving to do away with the "War on Terror" labeling.

Misc:
Supreme Court nominee - A+
Foreign policy not covered above - A (maintained good vibes from election)
Civil rights (most noticeably gay rights) - D (really has been absent)
Handling of Congress - B
Healthcare Initiatives - A (exceeded my expecations this early)
msolga

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
This in not my thread, H20Man. And I'm interested in the range of responses to the topic. And yes, I'm definitely interested in truthful responses, not just colourful opinion & repetitive shooting from the hip. Those sorts of comments have become really boring & predictable.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:57 pm
@engineer,
My take...

Iraq/Afghanistan D- : Two large battles in a global war against Islamic terrorists. Obama is reluctant to fully support the troops.

Economy D- : Conditions were better before Obama took office and all of his spending has only exacerbated the situation.
Look for the beginnings of hyper inflation in the 2nd quarter of 2010.

Middle East F : What a limp dick jerk Obama is. He really has no clue and his main accomplishment has been to apologize.

War on Terror D- : See: Iraq/Afghanistan

Misc:
Healthcare Initiatives - F (More useless spending that will result in taxes being raised on the middle class)
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:58 pm
@msolga,

We are all interested in that, but we don't always get what we want.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:20 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O
Quote:
Iraq/Afghanistan D- : Two large battles in a global war against Islamic terrorists.

Wrong: Afghanistan is part of a global war...Iraq is Bush's misadventure...Obama inherited a mess and has moved to clean up Southern Afghanistan where the strongest resistance has been seen.

H2O
Quote:
Obama is reluctant to fully support the troops.

Show us some evidence of this craven behaviour

H2O
Quote:
all of his spending has only exacerbated the situation.

Show us some evidence...

awww jeez Meathead
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:32 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

my feelings for him amount to lukewarm support rather than sadness. Which is the same way I felt about him during the election campaign.

I have to echo this sentiment.

But being that I am black, at least part of the way, anything other then being an Obama-noid is seen as a sin fresh from the bible.

He is a politician , not a god.
Hes black. Not a god.
he is human . Not a god.

I think his campaign and americas desire for a competent president really pushed Obama into a false position of relative sainthood.

Im frankly happy to see that the sheeps skin has been pulled off of him this soon.
0 Replies