are the liberals sad about Obama?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:55 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I wish they had too. I would have voted for RP over BO any day of the week.

That's change we can believe in.

America is based on personal freedom.
Of the 2 parties, the GOP is supposed to be conservative party,
adhering to the Original concepts of constitutionalism,
accruing to the benefit of personal freedom.

Neither the Bushes nor McCain had much regard for personal liberty;
i.e., thay fail to represent the fundamental essence of the GOP.
In McCain, we put up a straw man.

I believe that Ron Paul simply did not get his message across
to the mass of Republicans; he was below their radar.
McCain had name recognition, not that he 's ever done much as a senator.

The trouble is that Ron Paul will be 77 in 2012.
We saw the disaster of running Bob Dole at his advanced age.
I don 't know who else we have that favors freedom.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 10:05 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I think McCain self destructed on his own. Sarah was just icing on the cake.
He was very inconsistent, for example.
Remember when he stopped campaigning for a single issue and Obama trumped him by pointing
out that a president must deal with multiple issues all the time?

I believe any credible Democrat would have won the race,
but by varying margins.

I did not like the Bushes.
I thought McCain was worse, tho I voted for him as an anti-Obama vote.
For several years, I have had very significant doubts
about the state of his mental health.
His thought processess are very disorganized
if his interviews are any indication.

I 'm glad to be rid of him.

David
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:58 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
I believe many younger voters were enamored with the thought they they could now prove their "liberal" views by voting for Obama. It was also, I believe, a thing with being part of the "in" crowd, you know, being as cool as Blacks can be, and not Whites.

You don't think it might have had something to do with the fact that he's highly educated, has plenty of energy & drive, is obviously very smart, plus extremely articulate (especially when compared to his predecessor) do you?) Wink

In my opinion, many voted for Obama for other reasons, including his perceived agenda was beneficial to many people on the low end of the socio-economic ladder. Other than movies as a source of education, do you really think one can have a true understanding to the American culture, if one is not living in the U.S.?
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:08 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
do you really think one can have a true understanding to the American culture, if one is not living in the U.S.?

The propaganda you were fed, are still being fed, coupled with a steadfast determination to remain ignorant prevents you from truly understanding the evil aspects of your own country.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:44 pm
@Foofie,
foofie:

I believe many younger voters were enamored with the thought they they could now prove their "liberal" views by voting for Obama. It was also, I believe, a thing with being part of the "in" crowd, you know, being as cool as Blacks can be, and not Whites.

msolga:

You don't think it might have had something to do with the fact that he's highly educated, has plenty of energy & drive, is obviously very smart, plus extremely articulate (especially when compared to his predecessor) do you?) Wink

foofie:

In my opinion, many voted for Obama for other reasons, including his perceived agenda was beneficial to many people on the low end of the socio-economic ladder. Other than movies as a source of education, do you really think one can have a true understanding to the American culture, if one is not living in the U.S.?

...these three posts deliciously describe msolga's superior grasp of the reasons for Obamas victory even though she's posting from the other side of the world.
And...continues the xenophobic tone of foofie's responses to those, like Walter, who would dare comment on American culture and politics.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:50 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

You don't think it might have had something to do with the fact that he's highly educated,
has plenty of energy & drive, is obviously very smart, plus extremely articulate?

Nope, but they loved how he read from a teleprompter.
rabel22

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 05:43 pm
@panzade,
It was 8 years of republican screw ups. If Obama dont start keeping some of his promises he may find he is only going to serve 4 years.
panzade

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 06:27 pm
@rabel22,
That's how it works.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 01:43 am
@Foofie,
Re: Foofie (Post 3680075)
First you said:
Quote:

To which I responded:

Quote:

And now you're saying:
Quote:

I was stating the bleeding obvious, Foofie. Obama is highly educated, energetic & extremely articulate (whether you agree with his policies or not). And no, I haven't formed my opinion from watching movies. I follow the news & also political commentary. But you appear to have changed your tune about his appeal to particular US voters.
Did I actually suggest I have a "true understanding to the American culture", while not living in the US? I don't think so (How could I possibly do that?), but it's OK for me to comment, I think? For that matter, how can you have a "true understanding" of Israeli (& Palestinian) politics while not actually living in Israel? Same thing, you see?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 03:28 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I know I am. I'm thinking Obama is becoming another Clinton republican-lite.

In order to have satisfied u, Dys,
what 'd he have needed to do ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 03:33 am
@msolga,
Quote:
For that matter, how can you have a "true understanding" of Israeli (& Palestinian) politics while not actually living in Israel? Same thing, you see?

No, he won't see. Foofie is a classic confirmation of the observation that the opinionated are the more convinced of the rectitude of their bigotry and prejudice in proportion to their ignorance. And i assure you, Foofie's ignorance is vast, not least as it concerns the panoply of people and places which is the United States, and the merest details of her history.
dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 06:25 am
@Setanta,
A right foof up!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 06:47 am
do to the density of many posters, I restate that I like Obama, I just don't agree with all his actions at this point in time.
Foofie

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 09:45 am
@msolga,
There were several main reasons Obama got so many votes, I believe. I just highlighted different reasons in different posts. Your point that I cannot have a true understanding of Israeli politics is quite true; however, I do not care for Israeli politics, I only care for Israel's survival as a Jewish State. That is not based on knowledge; that is based on a belief which is no different than the belief of Jewish Israelis, I believe.

Sure you can comment on U.S. politics. Go comment. You at least have English as your first language, so you might understand very well what you read in English about the states. I have nothing against Australians. Personally I believe, the popular culture just seems to glorify the "rough around the edges" of the Australian persona; you know, like there was once something called a London gentleman. Is there such a persona in Australia, or is it just pubs and gregariousness? That is what I see on American tv, so do not blame me for this opinion.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 01:22 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

msolga wrote:

You don't think it might have had something to do with the fact that he's highly educated,
has plenty of energy & drive, is obviously very smart, plus extremely articulate?

Nope, but they loved how he read from a teleprompter.

and why wouldn't they after 8 years of a dunce who struggled with my pet goat?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 01:41 pm
Here in a nutshell is the American culture.

"I like it... I want it... I'm taking it. **** you if you don't like it. Can you supersize it?"

Don't over think it
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 02:03 pm
@dyslexia,
As opposed to the fluffyness of other posters, of course.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 07:49 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Your point that I cannot have a true understanding of Israeli politics is quite true; however, I do not care for Israeli politics, I only care for Israel's survival as a Jewish State. That is not based on knowledge; that is based on a belief which is no different than the belief of Jewish Israelis, I believe.

I didn't say that at all, you sneaky devil! Surprised I suggested my comments on US politics is no different to you commenting on Israeli politics, in response to what you wrote:

Quote:

Now you're saying:
Quote:
Sure you can comment on U.S. politics. Go comment. You at least have English as your first language, so you might understand very well what you read in English about the states. I have nothing against Australians.

Why thank you! I'm so gratified to finally have your blessing! Wink

Quote:
Personally I believe, the popular culture just seems to glorify the "rough around the edges" of the Australian persona; you know, like there was once something called a London gentleman. Is there such a persona in Australia, or is it just pubs and gregariousness? That is what I see on American tv, so do not blame me for this opinion.

We are all extremely rugged pioneering types here - & yes, "rough around the edges", as you say, Foofie. But that's what comes from living in the harsh outback & constantly battling the elements to survive, daily fighting the crocodiles, snakes, flies & the like ... You'd be visiting the pub on a regular basis, if your life was half as tough, trust me! Smile

dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 07:54 pm
@msolga,
Bravo msolga Bravo,
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 08:08 pm
@dyslexia,
Why thank you, dys.

I'm hoping we can get back to discussing reactions to Obama now?