Just When You Think Nothing Can Shock You

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:01 am
this woman named Paula on the food network... you can google this... has a recipe for.... are you sitting down? Deep fried, bacon wrapped macaroni and cheese. She also fries in peanut oil because it gives flavor and is healthy. Isn't that sort of like using a clean needle to run up speedballs because it's healthier?

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:03 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Do you mean Paula Deen? (Sounds like her kind of dish.)

We watch Food Network occasionally and if she's on, sozlet and E.G. cover their ears and run screaming from the room.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:03 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I tried to get our fried baskets renamed heart attack platters, but alas, I was voted down...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:05 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
http://www.pauladeen.com/

She's a southern gal, y'all, and cooks like she has no concept of cholesterol.

For thirty bucks, you can buy a cake from her that is guaranteed to shoot both your sugar and your lipids up the roof. But I'll bet it's goood!!!

http://www.smithfieldhams.com/product/352/26
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:08 am
I think that Southern folk are less prone to join the "let's be afraid of our food" movement. Paula was at the PX last year doing a book signing, the line of military (very often from the South) fans was out the door and down the block. Some waited five hours in line for her.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:13 am
Oh man! I would totally eat deep fried bacon wrapped macaroni and cheese!

I would rather have a little bit of something with a whole lot of flavor than a whole lot of something with a little bit of flavor.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:31 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
I would rather have a little bit of something with a whole lot of flavor than a whole lot of something with a little bit of flavor.

And when it comes to things like salt and fat when our bodies crave the stuff we are much better of health wise in the long run if we feed the craving with moderation rather than denying it. Happiness prolongs life big time, the plus side of having what you need and what makes you happy far outweighs the downside of ingesting a bit of something that current thinking says is not great for you.

The scared of food people will never be in my good graces again after they spent almost ten years claiming that butter will kill me so I should switch to margarine if I need a smear (and I love bread with butter, but I dutifully tried to make the fake butter work)......then they came back after more study saying the margarine is actually worse than butter...OOOPS!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:38 am
Rather than fearing food, eat it by considering the Med diet "Food Pyramid". You dont have to give up the garbage food, you can eat it but not as a total diet.

I get a kick out of people eating at a fass food like Burger King. Theyll get 2 bacon double cheeseboogers and wash it down with a giant diet coke.
Roberta

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:44 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Do you mean Paula Deen? (Sounds like her kind of dish.)

We watch Food Network occasionally and if she's on, sozlet and E.G. cover their ears and run screaming from the room.

I have the same reaction, soz. Can't stand the sound of her voice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:05 pm
I generally eat healthy, but am not a fanatic. I ate from Jack in the Box two times this month.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:09 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I get a kick out of people eating at a fass food like Burger King. Theyll get 2 bacon double cheeseboogers and wash it down with a giant diet coke

this actually makes sense, the sugar drinks are empty calories where as the rest have something of benefit to offer. May as well take the calories in food and cut out the drink calories. Keep in mind that increasing numbers of people have blood sugar problems, cutting out HFCS (sugar) is a smart move for most people.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
I am not afraid of food and could survive on potato chips and onion dip in a perfect world....but holy ****!!

http://search.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/bill-nicholsons-krispy-kreme-bread-pudding-with-butter-rum-sauce-recipe/index.html
maporsche

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:44 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman, that describes me. I'm that guy who orders 2 double cheeseburgers and a large diet coke.

If I'm going to shove 40g of fat down my throat, I could at least have the common sense to not add 400g of sugar to that 'meal' right?
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

this actually makes sense, the sugar drinks are empty calories where as the rest have something of benefit to offer. May as well take the calories in food and cut out the drink calories. Keep in mind that increasing numbers of people have blood sugar problems, cutting out HFCS (sugar) is a smart move for most people.

Hold on a second there..

HFCS is not sugar.
HFCS is a chemical made from kernal corn with sulfuric acid..and other heavy chemicals. It does not COME from sugar.

Regular white granulated sugar is not sugar either. It is made from HFCS and other 'chemicals'.

real sugar, from cane plants is not bad for you. It does not cause diabetes.. HFCS and other fake sweeteners including granulated white sugar do. (Like the ones found in diet coke, fast food meat, buns, salad dressing... almost everything from a package actually. )

And Im with Boom...
I would LOVE to taste deep fried pig fat covered oily greasy salty macaroni and cheese..

ohhhhhhhhhhh man.

maporsche

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:48 pm
@shewolfnm,
Are you saying that artificial sweetener (like those found in diet coke) will cause diabetes?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:51 pm
@maporsche,
Yeah, but that diet cola is gonna kill with the phenylketonurics . . . i worked in a pizza joint once that advertised "thick and cheesy" pizza. The owner would drive to Indiana and buy huge quatities of cheap, low grade, low moisture mozzarella and pile it on the pie. Then we'd get Sor whores in who would order one of these pies, swimming in oil from the cheese, and order diet soda to wash it down . . . it always cracked me up . . .

Both diet Coke and diet Pepsi contain phenylalanine . . . you're killin' yerself with that diet crap, Boss . . .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:52 pm
@shewolfnm,
Actually... what I said was -

shewolfnm wrote:

HFCS and other fake sweeteners including granulated white sugar do. (Like the ones found in diet coke, fast food meat, buns, salad dressing... almost everything from a package actually. )

Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:53 pm
Here's an anti-aspartame hysteria web site for those interested.
roger

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:59 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Hold on a second there..

HFCS is not sugar.
HFCS is a chemical made from kernal corn with sulfuric acid..and other heavy chemicals. It does not COME from sugar.

Regular white granulated sugar is not sugar either. It is made from HFCS and other 'chemicals'.

real sugar, from cane plants is not bad for you. It does not cause diabetes.. HFCS and other fake sweeteners including granulated white sugar do. (Like the ones found in diet coke, fast food meat, buns, salad dressing... almost everything from a package actually. )

That's just wrong. High fructose corn syrup certainly is a sugar. There are lots of sugars out there, and HFCS is one of them. White, granulated table sugar is from either sugar cane or sugar beets.

So far as diabetes goes, a gram of carbohydrate is a gram of carbohydrate. The sugars are up there on the glycemic index in about the same position as white bread.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 01:01 pm
@Setanta,
I have trouble with all this stuff Set.

While I don't trust the government or business to do what's best for the people; I'm not sold that diet mountain dew will kill me.