shewolfnm

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 04:24 pm
@Gargamel,
marry me sexy fat red nutless man
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 04:47 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bear, I am from Minnesota originally...my brother and his family eat Paula Dean's food. Is it Deen or Dean because I don't watch it. His whole family is overweight and he has diabetes. No one else in the family does. He wears an Insulin pump and then eats what he wants. This man has a Masters of Science in Bacteriology and has worked with food safety, etc. He made a meal for my husband and I when we visited him in Pittsburgh and I tell you it was a CHOLESTEROL BOMB to the HEART! He knows what he should do but can't give up the fatty, sweet stuff. Heartbreaking for my mom and me as his whole family is now obese.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 05:04 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
Back years ago, I was on a swing of greasy salty, with beefy (etc) and then sugary, and then in a bit, greasy salty - a pendulum.
I learned how dumb that was over the years, but I'm not sure I changed by reading all the cons, though that had some impact - I changed since I lucked out and got to go to a lot of different hole in the wall restaurants with food from various cultures, and got to, huzzah, like vegetables in all their raiment. I'm not a vegetarian, that's not what I mean, but I got into liking fresh food with the vegetable or fruit or fish or meat flavors working in combo... not the sugar or salt or fats, or at least not an overwhelming lot of those.

People get into food cycles that are hard to break.

I still like greasy salty potato chips and try not to buy them. Succumb a few times a year. Eat them at friends' places. Am long time weaned from sugar craves, in food; I'd say twenty years now. I do like booze, which presents to the body as Sugar, honey. Moderation, the ideal to me (well, for me).
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 06:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I've vaguely wondered whether my lack-of-desire for chocolate/sweets later in life has to do with menopause (oh sorry, Bad Word). Did ya ever wonder about that?

I used to LIVE for chocolate, now I could really care less.

Plus, I totally agree that moderation in all things is key.

I'm NOT a vegetarian, but eat only veggies/grains/fruits most days of the week, just 'cause I like them. I think becoming a fanatic either pro/against meat/veggies is foolish.

A good Whopper/Fries/Shake once every few months is a fine thing, for me.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 06:53 pm
@BorisKitten,
I still like chocolate and I am way over menopause. I'm picky though, but that is to be expected from the loud one.

I do like sin - aka, Ruffles potato chips, and, less grossly, the perfect marjolaine cake (osso slumps, upon eating half a slice). Flying Star doesn't do it any more, apparently the first one or two cost the week's profit... La Pointe recipe, molto stuff/effort involved.
they do have wee marjolaine treats, so not the same thing.
To pump for them, though, I'll recommend the petit fours, however you spell that. They beat any candy bar on earth, and at a reasonable price.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 07:56 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Quote:
I still like chocolate and I am way over menopause.
I'm picky though, but that is to be expected from the loud one.

I do like sin - aka, Ruffles potato chips,

Do u hold that Ruffles
have different theological significance than Wise Potato Chips ?
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
marjolaine cake

I'll hafta Google that, Osso, because I don't know what it is.

I like Ruffles, too. Every once in a while I just really want some SALT. That, at least, hasn't changed.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Do u hold that Ruffles

TeeHee!

It's the ridges, man. Ruffles have Ridges.

Sinful.
LostBlackBook

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 10:16 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I don't watch Paula Deen, because her accent annoys me too much. As a southerner, hearing someone say "ya'll" doesn't bother me. Hearing her drag and twist that word into a 5-second long "yaaaaaa'w" makes me want to stuff deep fried twinkies down her gullet. In response, she would probably instruct her viewers on how to prepare deep fried twinkies.
cjhsa

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:10 am
@LostBlackBook,
How do you get four syllables out of the word "oil"?
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 07:13 pm
@LostBlackBook,
Quote:
Hearing her drag and twist that word into a 5-second long "yaaaaaa'w" makes me want to stuff deep fried twinkies down her gullet.

Snort 'o' laughter, LBB!

Here we have yet another reason why I do NOT, by any means, miss TV.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 07:23 pm
@BorisKitten,
That could be, BorisKitten, it was around then for me, I think. Hard to say as it happened gradually, and I think I'd stopped sugar craving before that. I still like chocolate, especially wonderful chocolate candies from a good shop - but I go a month or two at a time without dessert. What became noticeable is that I often think desserts are "too sweet", but that's probably because they are piled with unnecessary amounts of sugar in many recipes.

On the other hand, I've lots of older women friends who still like a lot of sweets.

Another aspect may be that eating sweets may spark one's sweet tooth to keep working, increasing one's interest - I don't know if that is true, though.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 11:41 am
@LostBlackBook,
they're available at the NC State Fair every year... along with the deep fried snickers on a stick... not like there's anything wrong with that occasionally Very Happy
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 11:43 am
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:

Quote:
Do u hold that Ruffles

TeeHee!

It's the ridges, man. Ruffles have Ridges.

Sinful.

Ruffles versus Wise is a genuine dilemma... the Wise Chips taste better and are way saltier... but the Ruffles don't break off in the cheap onion dip.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:04 pm
I like deep fried ice cream.

Its absolutely delicious!!!!!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:20 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I've never heard of Wise potato chips. Uh oh....
BorisKitten

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:04 pm
@ossobuco,
OMG, you haven't LIVED until you've had Wise potato chips!

Usually Lay's makes a pretty darned good chip, but the Wise plain-old-chips are way better. Saltier, maybe? Just better.
BorisKitten

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:07 pm
@ossobuco,
You're right, it has been really gradual. I've had dark chocolate in my fridge for so long, it's probably gone bad. This would not have been possible, or even plausible, some 5 years ago.

I also like spicy foods way more these days. I've heard our taste buds aren't as sensitive when we get older, so we like more spicy things. True? Dunno. Please pass the Nuclear Wings, thanks.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:09 pm
@mysteryman,
Deep fried ice cream: I've actually never had it.

Prolly one of the bad things about living rural: We don't have nifty foods like that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:16 pm
@BorisKitten,
Nuclear Wings? Oh... no.....

(I've loved spicy food since the seventies, when I first ran across it.)