Who Killed JFK?

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 05:45 pm
Where were you 40 years ago today?
(Hebba need not answer that.)

Related question: a year after the assasination and the inauguration of Lyndon Baines Johnson as president, a popular play called "Macbird" ran off-Broadway. It used the framewrok of the Macbeth plot to indirectly accuse LBJ of being the mastermind behind the JFK assisination. Do you think this is likely? Why or why not? If not, who do you think was behind the assisination?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 34,395 • Replies: 185
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 05:48 pm
Are you SURE it wasn't the same guy who shot Liberty Valance?
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 05:56 pm
I think it was LBJ and the Texas Playboys
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:02 pm
or it could it have been Castro after a chicken plunking contest Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:20 pm
Cuban exiles in south Florida certainly thought they had the motive, which is not to say they were involved.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:23 pm
This seems like as good of a place as any to air a conspiracy theory that crossed my mind when I read the news of the extent of JFK's health problems -- he was about to die anyway, and some goverment agency (FBI, CIA) did it with his foreknowledge.

Creepy, eh? Sad Don't _actually_ think that, but that's what years of watching "X-Files" gets ya...
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:55 pm
I have never believed that Oswald alone killed Kennedy. The magic bullet theory just doesn't fly with me, and there are just too many other unanswered questions.

As for where I was...I was in the 3rd grade and on the playground at school. All of a sudden, the teachers came down and told all of us to line up to go back into our classrooms. They were all crying. Some hysterically. I remember one of the teachers kept mumbling something about poor Mrs. Kennedy, and how unfair all of this was, and how she had just lost a baby shortly before. None of the kids had a clue as to what had happened until finally the principal announced that the President had been shot and was dead and that we were all going to be sent home.

I remember that when I got home, it was dark, and my mom, who was in tears, had our black and white TV on, tuned to the breaking news. Everything was so gloomy, and it stayed that way until after the President's funeral.

In retrospect, I think the only other time I have ever felt that kind of collective grief was on September 11, 2001, and the days that followed.

Don't know if any of you have been to this site before, but if not, you may find it interesting. It's the Kennedy Assassination Records Collection at the National Archives and Records Administration:

http://www.archives.gov/media_desk/press_releases/subject_kennedy.html
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:10 pm
It's true. Oswald did act alone in 1963, 39 years ago, when Jack Kennedy was murdered. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 09:09 am
If you really believe that, New Haven, you're likely the only American in the whole world who does. (But you're right -- it was 39 yrs. ago, not 40, as per my earlier post.)
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 09:27 am
It's a damn shame I ain't too young to have been around that day. But I was and saw Jack Ruby shut Oswald up, too. Dang sorry business, this getting old, but I guess it beats the alternative.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 09:37 am
I was in half-day kindergarten that autumn. I was with Miss Gill (who lived downstairs from us) after school, waiting for my mother to come home from her KaffeeKlatsch, watching her little black and white t.v., not understanding all that much, but knowing Miss Gill was very very sad. I do have a very strange kind of memory of sitting there with her, being very quiet, not knowing how to make her feel better, and wishing my mother would be home soon, because my mother would make her feel better.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 10:10 am
Well ehBeth I'd just gotten out of school too only in my case it was college. I had just finished my last class of the day and boarded a city bus and there was this woman crying and several other folks holding transistor radios up to their ear and I asked the bus driver what was going on and he said Kennedy had been shot and one of the guys with a radio said they'd just announced the President was dead and the woman really came unglued then and nobody told me the whole current of my life had just changed direction, but it had.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 10:23 am
I think it was the day that I learned my parents couldn't really make everything all better.

I wish that lesson had come later in life.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 02:43 pm
Remembering the shootout at the Dallas Police Corral doesn't make you old, Debacle. It's when you start reminiscing about San Juan Hill and las senoritas Cubanas that I worry about how much longer you're going to last.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 05:18 pm
That is indeed an honor, coming as it does from a true patriot, one of the aboriginal polluters of Boston Harbor.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:52 pm
Conspiracy theory to beat them all - J. Gordon Liddy did it - right? Confused
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:12 pm
Does it really matter who killed JFK? It was a long time ago. He's gone, let it go and move on.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:30 pm
Well, Steve, there are people who are still trying to unravel all the clues in the assasination of Julius Caesar in the Forum on the Ides of March, 44 b.c. e. So, by that yardstick, 39 years is not such a "long time ago." Does it really matter who did it? Not in such mundane terms as, "will it affect my life in any way today?" No. It matters greatly if one is interested in historical truth. It matters in terms of how history books are written and how history is taught. To me, at least, knowing the truth of a matter -- any matter -- matters.

Debacle, I am overjoyed to learn that I am older than you after all. Now I can act all upitty and scold you all I want. Because, unless you were in grad school when JFK was killed, your statement about coming from class is a dead giveaway. I had already received by B.A. the previous summer. Oh, wait! No, you had probably already done your service in the USAF and were studying under the GI Bill. Rats! You probably have a few years on me after all.

And my people had nothing to do with polluting Boston harbor. I was in charge of keeping it pristine when you damned English showed up in some ships and leveled the three hills on the Shawmut Peninsula to fill in the esturay of the river (which we did not call the Charles yet) and, in consequence, created that enclave now known as the Back Bay.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:51 am
The KGB did not kill JFK but apparently they were quick off the mark to instigate conspiracy theories as part of their "Active Measures" program. This is according to Metrokin, Soviet archivest and note taker.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:55 am
That should read Mitrokhyn (and archivist!)
0 Replies