Sam was my brother

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 11:34 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Have you ever written poetry about Sam, Edgar?

BBB

I address that here, BBB. The bottom post and the top of the next page.
http://able2know.org/topic/131273-2
Joeblow

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 07:12 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I am doing much better than I would have predicted. I have been through deaths of loved ones and friends so often now that I can experience loss and sadness without going to pieces. I can miss Sam and celebrate his life in ways I could never manage when I lost my mother and older brother.

This moved me to my core.

Just need to acknowledge your loss Edgar and to tell you that threads like this one help other people, too.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 08:08 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, I so admire you and your poetry. You and Sam were lucky to have each other.

BBB
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 08:36 am
pdiddie and joeblow, thank you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 08:39 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I want to say that people like you are what keeps me writing, BBB, but, in truth, I would write if no one at all read my work. It's who I am.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 05:55 pm

Sam Galentree: A number of years ago, Mark and I were introduced to Sam Galentree through a third party. We needed artwork for book covers and computer games. As a trio, none of us actually knew a great deal about each other but what developed was a friendship so close that I felt we were almost family. We had a mutual trust borne out of a great respect for each other, to the degree that I suspect whatever was asked would be given without question. Sam wasn't simply a talented artist: of that there was no doubt, but he had inner strengths that many of us can only admire: to see the good in everyone he worked with; the ability to give without receiving: the composure not to speak ill of someone despite their misdemeanours. He was, in short, one of life's true gentlemen. I really can't say how much Mark and I are going to miss him and we're not looking forward to finding out. But I feel that whatever happens, wherever we go, and however much we achieve, Sam Galentree will always be with us in spirit. And that really is a very comforting thought. Rest in peace, Sam.

- Ray Clark 2009

From the Lords of Misrule site.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 06:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you for the writing, Edgar. I hope I am not intruding when I ask this. If I am, just say so and I won't press it.
Did yall have a funeral ceremony/memorial service for Sam?
If yall did, based on your writing, some of us here might have shown up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 06:49 pm
Sam was cremated. There was no funeral service, but, during summer, there will be a celebration of his life in Dallas, to be organized by Sam's wife. More details when I know something.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 06:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
How you holding up?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 06:25 pm
@spikepipsqueak,
I am mostly okay. When I think about Sam I don't dwell on his final days, but on a lifetime of great memories. A lot of my reveries involve our childhood in California. We spent many adult hours attempting to unravel such mysteries as, "Who really tripped the gopher trap?" when we were small. Sam took the blame, but he was innocent. At least once, he speculated that I might be the culprit. I was adamant. Not me. We had several half siblings, I reminded him. It could have been one of them - probably was, in fact. These were weighty matters to us.
msolga

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 07:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
I love these childhood stories of yours, edgar. (And the photographs, of course!) I hope you post more here, as you remember them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 08:36 pm
We were guilty of misdemeanors, olga. Rarely were we mean or vengeful. The time Sam somehow got hold of a pocket knife and skinned every bit of bark off of a nice tree by the front porch, he had no concept of the damage done. Killing that tree was not in his mind at all. He just thought it was interesting, how the bark came cleanly away, in long portions that preserved the shape of the tree. His conscience was clean, up until he got chewed out and had his blade confiscated. He was a good kid and less inclined to be troublesome than Roger or me.
msolga

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 01:56 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
We were guilty of misdemeanors, olga. Rarely were we mean or vengeful.

Just good ol' normal, healthy boy stuff, edgar! Adventures & hi jinx!

(I would have loved to have had a like-minded sibling, close to my own age. You were fortunate to have shared your childhood with Sam, edgar. Smile )

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 04:40 am
As we grew a little older, Roger took to wrestling each of us down and holding us there. As Sam's protector, I would jump on him and try to pull him off. One day he sat upon my back and as he jumped away, pushed my head down to prevent my grabbing his legs. My front tooth broke against the floor. I had to live with half a tooth for nine years, and then a gap, until the Navy gave me a falsie. At eight years old, the dentist had advised that I should be seventeen before anything was done with it. By then it was no good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 10:06 pm
I drove to Dallas yesterday and returned home today at 2PM. My sister in law and my youngest half brother and I sat and talked for hours. I slept in Sam's room. It afforded me the opportunity to look at his oil paintings and read over the condolence letters. I was not certain I could sleep in there, for his ashes were also in there. Then his cat came in and distracted me, and we slept together.

We did not set a date for his celebration day. She worried about money, but I suggested she ask each invited person to bring a dish or something. The funeral home said we could use a room for free. She had wanted to bring some of his best art work and wondered at the propriety of hanging them in the funeral home. I told her she could not possibly offend by doing that. Still no decision.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 10:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
grace and peace to you, ed.
0 Replies

spikepipsqueak

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm glad you had that opportunity. Imagine you would have felt really close.

You OK?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:28 pm
just finished reading the entire thread.
I feel like Sam was my brother ...too
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:31 pm
@panzade,
Thank you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:16 pm
Sam's wife has been on this thread today, reading it for the first time. I think she will be pleased at how it came together.