Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:36 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks. I truly appreciate it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 01:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I find myself commenting to him quite spontaneously any time of the day.

KInda like the line in the Warren Zevon song "Keep me in your heart for a while".
I tear up whenever I hear that song re: several people Ive known and loved.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 02:33 pm
@farmerman,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECa_tzoUeIQ&feature=related I feel a special affinity with this song.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 04:27 pm
That's a great song, fm. There is a certain song that makes me tear up also, but it's for my mother.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 02:36 am
Wow-I've heard the name Bearfax Funnies. I didn't know it was your brother who made them.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 09:49 am
@JGoldman10,
Edgar and Sam both are/were filled with talent.

BBB
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:00 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Sam and I were born with talent and heads as hard as hickory knots. This latter noted condition worked diligently against us. We knew where the butter was spread over the toast but never really got around the dry side. Sam was loved and honored, even, but much deserved success eluded him. He was always just at the point of breakthrough, in his last years.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 02:39 am
@edgarblythe,
Hi-if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the funding to get your comics published and distributed? That's what I am looking at doing.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:00 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't know who published Sam's comics. But I do know that self publishers, such as Lulu, do comics. Once the comic is ready to publish, payment depends on sales. They have promotion packages one can purchase, or one can rely on one's own sales efforts. The most basic service costs you nothing.
0 Replies

elderstown

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 04:19 pm
Iron Horse Comics & Collectibles was hugely influential to me when I was a child growing up in Rhode Island. It became my home-away-from-home and literally changed my life. I met some of my best friends there, people who I'm still close with 30+ years later.

I learned so much about storytelling by combing through the stacks at Iron Horse. Today, I make my living writing fantasy movies and miniseries for the SyFy Channel. Basically, I followed my dream. That might never have happened if it hadn't been for Sam's wonderful store and the inspiration it gave me.

Sam brought something special to the smallest state in the country, and we Rhode Islanders owe him a supreme debt of gratitude. I've searched the internet high and low trying to find a vintage photo of the store or some kind of info on the place. Now, finally, I've learned about the life of the man who started it and I'm very, very grateful for the knowledge.

Thanks so much for sharing his story with us.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 04:36 pm
@elderstown,
I have alerted Sam's wife of your wonderful post. She was a partner with Sam in building up and operating Iron Horse. I know she will be gratified to read it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 05:33 pm
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/samsuperman.jpg
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 05:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Very nice tribute to your brother Mr. Edgar.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 08:18 pm
@jcboy,
Thanks jcboy. It's too bad he could not physically be here to share it.
msolga

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 08:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes indeed, edgar.

That's a wonderful photograph you poster earlier today (my time).
Good to be to "see" your brother as well as read your words about him.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 12:23 pm
Roger's birthday today. 43 years ago he died in a wreck between his Fiat Spyder and a 3/4 ton pick up truck. He was 29. I had recently taunted him that he was just too old, as he drew near a 30TH birthday. I said, "I am under 30 and beautiful." (A take-off on two slogans of the time - 'Never trust anybody over 30' and 'Black is beautiful.') My kids have lived longer than he did. I don't regret my words. It was just a form of play between brothers. I will have a cold one for you, brother.
jcboy

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 06:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Happy Birthday to your brother Mr. Edgar.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 06:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Have you ever thought of creating an online memorial for your brother? I have my parents on this site and it’s free.

http://www.findagrave.com/
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 07:10 pm
@jcboy,
Thanks. I bookmarked it to check it tomorrow.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 10:48 am
And now it's Sam's birthday. 67TH.
Sam was a Beatles fanatic, long before I knew of them.