Sam was my brother

Sglass

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 10:25 am
Edgar, Merry Andrew and I want you to know we are saddened by your loss.

Sglass
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 11:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Oh Edgar. So sorry to hear your bad news. You have my heartfelt condolences.
((((( Edgar )))))

Ps. Wow! He was a very talented man.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 11:13 am
occom
sglass
merry andrew
Thank you.
High Seas

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 11:42 am
@edgarblythe,
Very sorry about your loss, Edgar; condolences to you, family, friends.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 01:57 pm
Thank you high seas.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:07 pm
Just saying good morning to you, edgar. And letting you know you're in my thoughts.
How are you today?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:49 pm
I am doing much better than I would have predicted. I have been through deaths of loved ones and friends so often now that I can experience loss and sadness without going to pieces. I can miss Sam and celebrate his life in ways I could never manage when I lost my mother and older brother.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 07:51 pm
What becomes increasingly apparent is that the special type of communication Sam and I employed will be lost to me forever. No other human being shared the code words or gave certain words special meanings and emphasis the way he did. No other could learn it. We were in the same boat uniquely as children. Not even Roger was there, despite his sharing so many of our experiences. He was older and "above us," so to speak. He was not in the same formative years as we when we fell into the clutches of our step father. The half siblings were not given that abuse. The breaking of the bond Sam and I shared will leave me very alone in many ways.
littlek

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 07:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Very special relationship you had with him. I envy you that, though I feel for your pain and suffering at the hand of your step-father.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 08:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
What becomes increasingly apparent is that the special type of communication Sam and I employed will be lost to me forever. No other human being shared the code words or gave certain words special meanings and emphasis the way he did. No other could learn it. We were in the same boat uniquely as children. Not even Roger was there, despite his sharing so many of our experiences. He was older and "above us," so to speak. He was not in the same formative years as we when we fell into the clutches of our step father. The half siblings were not given that abuse. The breaking of the bond Sam and I shared will leave me very alone in many ways.

Almost like losing a part of yourself & your personal history. What a huge, irreplacable loss, edgar. I can understand why this makes you feel so alone.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 03:14 pm
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/bronson.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/elvis.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/PrimeMinister.jpg

I found a few more of my brother's pictures. I will have others from time to time.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 08:14 am
@edgarblythe,
So much talent runs in your family, Edgar.

How is it showing up in the younger generation?

BBB

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 08:42 am
@edgarblythe,
Bronson from his Death Wish movies is easy to pick up on. The fat Elvis with a comb over is a real gem. Its so good that Ill bet he received a lot of criticsm on it from the "Elvis is God" crowd.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 11:40 am
He liked to pick on Elvis, but he loved many Elvis recordings.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 11:46 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Well, BBB; my son writes lyrics and plays guitar, but he isn't doing much with it. None of the girls writes or even reads all that much. None is an artist. The boy (36 years old) jumps from job to job. The oldest girl (35) is studying to be a nurse - works for a doctor. The other girls, (33 and 28) manage restaurants. The grandkids are intelligent, in the main, but none so far show signs of being literary or artistic. They are young, so, who is to judge at this point?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 04:22 pm
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/The_Lord_of_Misrule.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 06:53 pm
Obituary

Samuel James Galentree, 63, passed away peacefully at his home in Dallas, Thursday, April 9, ending a long battle with lung cancer. Born in Corpus Christi, Texas on October 9, 1945, Galentree spent much of his youth with his nose stuck in a comic book. The youngster gobbled up the stories, copying the drawings and vowing that one day he'd be writing and drawing comics of his own. But as the years rolled by, real life intervened. Galentree soon found himself building houses, laying shingles and doing room additions with his brothers in order to help keep the family fed. But he never lost track of his dream. Years later Galentree met and married Geraldine, his beloved wife of 39 years, and the couple moved to Providence, RI where he soon had advertising art and weekly comic strips in the local papers. He created record album covers for Sina Qua Non, an international recording company and t-shirts for local bands. He opened one of the first comic shops in the country, Iron Horse Comics & Collectibles, which sponsored comic conventions and card shows in the New England area. A few years later the Galentrees moved back to Texas and it was here in Dallas that the dreams of a young man would finally be fulfilled. Galentree created and published Bearfax Funnies, a series aimed at the younger set and later did Crypt Kiddies, which appealed to a more mature audience. Galentree spent much of his later years doing freelance art, including cover art for People Newspapers' Christmas Carol Songbook and advertising pieces for various local churches and businesses. He collaborated with a writer in Sweden to create a newspaper comic strip, "The Prime Minister," and did various bookcover illustrations including one for a book published in England. Galentree also developed an interest in 3D animation and spent much of his time, until his illness crippled him, creating characters and scenarios for computer games. Survived by his wife Geraldine, brother Fred Spicer, also of Dallas, brother Charles M. Turner and wife, Kathy, of Houston, sister-in-law Patricia Ann Moore, of Corpus Christi, TX and mother-in-law Betty Iversen, of Cranston, RI and numerous other siblings, relatives and friends, Galentree will also be greatly missed by Kitty Kat, a feral cat he coaxed from the wild and rescued 4 years ago. She stayed by his side through his illness and was a constant companion through his darkest hours. The family wishes to thank Community Hospice of Texas for their loving care during his last days. Their nurses and CNAs did much to ease his suffering and to help the family cope through this very difficult time. A Celebration of Life Service is being planned. In lieu of flowers, please make donations in his name to Operation Kindness, Treasured Friends, or the Audubon Society. Friends and relatives are invited to sign the guestbook at woodfhs.com.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 11:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
This is a nice little summary of a life well lived, but I feel I know him better through his work you have posted here, edgar.

I hope you are treating yourself gently.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 02:37 am
A fine tribute to a shared soul, Edgar. You're never alone, you know; just separated for a short while.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 08:32 am
@edgarblythe,
Have you ever written poetry about Sam, Edgar?

BBB