Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:45 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Yes. And his girlfriend is DEAD, and his going to jail is not going to change that or bring her back.

My great uncle was murdered about a hundred years ago by a corrupt sheriff who was trying to steal his horses. Before he died of his wounds, he grabbed his 12 gauge and put a slug in the back of the sheriff's head. That didn't bring back my uncle, but it was nice knowing that he delivered justice to his murderer with his own hands before he died.

Punishing murderers never brings back the victim. It's still justice.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:47 pm
@oralloy,
Yes they should. But the ,prison sentence does not restore her to life. THE MURDER ISWHAT WE HAVE TO PREVENT, and you are not doing anything to prevent them from happening in wholesale numbers. You are in fact abetting future murders.
oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:50 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
THE MURDER ISWHAT WE HAVE TO PREVENT, and you are not doing anything to prevent them from happening in wholesale numbers. You are in fact abetting future murders.

How do you propose preventing people from committing murder? Mind control?

Even if that was possible, no thanks.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:00 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
You are in fact abetting future murders.

Remember Cain and Abel, no gun there, just a murder. You will never stop murder.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:46 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Remember Cain and Abel, no gun there, just a murder. You will never stop murder
Pfrobably true. But irrelevant. It should be possible to bring it WAY down. Other countries have proved it p0ss9ble. 'Bput time we tried it.
oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 01:31 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
It should be possible to bring it WAY down.

And how do you propose that we make people stop committing murder?

MontereyJack wrote:
Other countries have proved it p0ss9ble. 'Bput time we tried it.

Other countries have a strong social safety net and low poverty rates.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 06:17 am
I can never remember who is or isn't American here. One of the things I findmost interesting about A2K.

But, it seems that non-American and some lefty Americans do not understand that above all else, we hold freedom up as the greatest right we have. That freedom, unfortunately, means that some people are going to die unnecessarily as a result of the rest of us having freedom. Freedom is more precious than life. I would die to keep America free and many have. Many more will in the future.

It means that much to us.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 06:42 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
That freedom, unfortunately, means that some people are going to die unnecessarily as a result of the rest of us having freedom.
So who decides that those people, who "are going to die unnecessarily as a result of the rest of us having freedom" have lost their freedom to live?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 06:45 am
The victims don't give a crap about your "rights" to have weapons that are killing them.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 08:24 am
@McGentrix,

really nice of you to condemn innocent people to death so you can have your gun. Very moral.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 08:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
That freedom, unfortunately, means that some people are going to die unnecessarily as a result of the rest of us having freedom.
So who decides that those people, who "are going to die unnecessarily as a result of the rest of us having freedom" have lost their freedom to live?

No one gets murdered in Germany Walter? Who decided for those people?

You are asking a retarded question. Please stop.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 08:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Nope. Most victims probably don't. Lots of people die every day. Some are shot, some OD on drugs, some get in car wrecks, some slip and fall in the bath tub. My rights have nothing to do with them dying.

However, because they die, that doesn't mean others rights should be denied, right? Have bath tubs been banned? Cars? knives, bats, fireplace pokers, screw drivers, or any other thing that kill people?

Get over it.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 08:59 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

really nice of you to condemn innocent people to death so you can have your gun. Very moral.

I'm not condemning anyone. You think that if all the guns in the world disappeared that suddenly people would stop dying? Are you that naive?
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 09:28 am
@McGentrix,
No,of course .murders wiuld not stop. But 12000 or so a year would. Youre buying your "freedom" with other peoples'lives. If we said we will stop demanding gun coontrol if we can get someone to murder McGentrix would you go for it. It's just one lufe for freedom , right?

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 09:34 am
@MontereyJack,
Mass attacks using fireplace pokers seems a bit far fetched. These guys are cowardly actors, not gladiators.
Thus bathtubs are also right out since one would have to bring the victims TO the device. That would, of course, restrict the carnage .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 09:37 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
No one gets murdered in Germany Walter? Who decided for those people?
A lot, too many get murdered here.
But that wasn't my question.

I seriously asked who decides it.
It's one one the most difficult examinations when you study law here, nothing at all like a "retarded question": The Fundamental Rights ("Basic Law" of Germany) can be limited and some rights may be suspended by ....
So, if in the USA the right to live can be limited unnecessarily as a result of the rest of you having freedom - this should be noted somewhere (in the Constitution, like here, I think)
McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 09:42 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

No, of course murders would not stop. But 12000 or so a year would. You're buying your "freedom" with other peoples lives. If we said we will stop demanding gun control if we can get someone to murder McGentrix would you go for it. It's just one life for freedom, right?

There is no way of telling 12,000 people would be murdered or not. They may use a different weapon is all.

Your hypothesis is silly. Our country is founded on freedom. What if we agreed to ban all guns, but abortion would be illegal all across the country. Would you agree to that? We'd be saving all kinds of lives that way right? I mean life is super important to you guys, right?
McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 09:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Who decides it? The murderer does Walter. The person deciding to break the law and murder someone is the one that decides that. You get that, right?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 09:47 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Who decides it? The murderer does Walter. The person deciding to break the law and murder someone is the one that decides that. You get that, right?
Well, that would be the answer in kindergarten but not among adults.
Thanks anyway.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2018 09:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
Well, that would be the answer in kindergarten but not among adults.
Thanks anyway.

You have a better answer Walt? By all means, please share with the class.