Guns: how much longer will it take ....

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 02:38 pm
@McGentrix,
Maybe you could kiss my rosy red patoot, and keep your snotty, condescending BS to yourself. My reading comprehension is just fine--and you continue to play word games, which is obvious to people with good reading comprehension.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 02:40 pm
@Setanta,
Maybe you can take a guess and tell us why a Ruger Ranch Rifle should be legal and an AR-15 illegal?
maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 02:45 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Maybe you can take a guess and tell us why a Ruger Ranch Rifle should be legal and an AR-15 illegal?

I don't know why you keep bringing this up, but maybe they both will be made illegal. Why is it one or the other?
Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:05 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I don't know why you keep bringing this up, but maybe they both will be made illegal. Why is it one or the other?

It's an important question to understand what makes one gun ok and the other one evil. If you can't answer the question then don't ask why it's important.
oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:09 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
you continue to play word games,

That is incorrect. He is not playing any word games.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:10 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I don't know why you keep bringing this up,

Probably because his question clearly demonstrates that assault weapon bans are pointless and unconstitutional.

maporsche wrote:
but maybe they both will be made illegal.

What would be the justification for making either one of them illegal?

maporsche wrote:
Why is it one or the other?

I think that was his point.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:16 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

It's an important question to understand what makes one gun ok and the other one evil. If you can't answer the question then don't ask why it's important.

Ok, but from a gun banners perspective, what if they don't think either gun is ok?
McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:18 pm
@maporsche,
Then say so. An explanation would be good, but not necessary.
maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:21 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Then say so. An explanation would be good, but not necessary.

I think people are saying so.

They want to see these types of weapons, those that fire high powered rounds, these rifles that are much deadlier than pistols, these rifles that accept 30, 40, 100 round magazines, banned...or at least much more restricted.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:22 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Ok, but from a gun banners perspective, what if they don't think either gun is ok?

Then I would be asking why they should be banned.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:22 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Most gun banners only try to ban one of them.
oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:27 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I think people are saying so.

They aren't. They are only focusing on one of those two guns.

maporsche wrote:
They want to see these types of weapons, those that fire high powered rounds, these rifles that are much deadlier than pistols, these rifles that accept 30, 40, 100 round magazines, banned...or at least much more restricted.

All hunting rifles fire high powered rounds that are much deadlier than pistols.

All hunting rifles that can accept detachable magazines, can have a large magazine designed to fit them.

So I guess hunting rifles are the true target here?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:27 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Most gun banners only try to ban one of them.

I haven't heard anyone here suggest that. Maybe we should try to limit our arguments to things people you're arguing with actually are suggesting.
hightor

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:31 pm
@McGentrix,
If the bottom one is a military weapon with the option of full automatic firing or "burst" firing it could be called an "assault weapon". If it's a civilian model it would be called an "assault-style" rifle because it has been made to resemble a military weapon.

Both are available in a choice of calibers and can be used with high capacity magazines.

Felt recoil would be about the same but the bottom one would be easier to control if firing from the hip because of the pistol grip.

Rather than attempting to "ban" either one I think it would be more effective to restrict the sale of high capacity magazines and institute better background checks on buyers. I could also see a 'tiered' system where older shooters with more experience would have more firearms options available to them than younger inexperienced shooters. I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of permit system either, especially for semi-autos which can accommodate high capacity magazines.

We should try to discourage spur-of-the-moment purchases made by disturbed people and unauthorized distribution of guns through straw purchases.

In a society such as ours, where vast wealth and privilege for some and chronic underemployment and poverty for others and tens of thousands of guns in circulation the idea that we're going to eliminate gun violence is unrealistic. Whether legal measures can reduce the incidence of violence is something we will need to study as those measures are put into place.
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 03:42 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
the bottom one would be easier to control if firing from the hip because of the pistol grip.

If a pistol grip prompted a spree shooter to attempt such a silly thing, the result would be much less accuracy than if they fired the gun properly, and much fewer people killed.

hightor wrote:
I could also see a 'tiered' system where older shooters with more experience would have more firearms options available to them than younger inexperienced shooters.

Let's do the same thing with voting. Anyone who is too young to buy a rifle in their state shouldn't be able to vote.

Once someone is old enough to buy a rifle in their state, they can start voting in elections for local governments. After awhile of that, we can let them start voting for state governments. And then when they are good and middle aged they can start voting for the federal government.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 05:21 pm
@Baldimo,
Why don't you tell us which one make you feel more of a man.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 09:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Who is going explain how a man feels to you?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 09:32 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

Who is going explain how a man feels to you?

Wow, that's weak even for you.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 09:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Wow, that's weak even for you.

No, it is not. He is going to need help learning something he clearly does not understand.