Guns: how much longer will it take ....

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:08 pm
Cruz bought the gun.

He used the gun to kill people.

Can't blame the person who sold him the gun - it was legal.

Kid can't control his own bank account til he's 21 but he could buy a weapon to kill multiple people with.

Pretty fucked up right there.
hightor

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:39 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Why are you making excuses for them?

I wasn't. I said they didn't follow through and are investigating the incident.
Quote:
This summer Cruz made an online comment in response to a story about a disgruntled doctor in New York who used an AR-15 to shoot seven people, killing one and wounding six others. He said, "Man, I can do so much better."

As far as I know, that isn't a crime. And I don't think the FBI can just show up and haul someone off to jail because they're creepy or weird. I don't believe they can commit someone to an institution or demand him to seek therapy either. I don't know how extensive social services are in that community and what sort of supervision might have been available. Even if the FBI or social services had responded there's no guarantee that they would have stopped him from carrying it out a month later.
Glennn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 03:23 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I wasn't. I said they didn't follow through and are investigating the incident.

Right. They didn't investigate. That they're investigating the incident now is one of those "day late and a dollar short" kind of things.
Quote:
As far as I know, that isn't a crime. And I don't think the FBI can just show up and haul someone off to jail because they're creepy or weird.

I never said anything about hauling him off to jail for his violent behavior and threatening statements. At the very least, he should have been flagged as a potential threat, and as such, he would not have passed a background check prior to buying a gun.

And it's not like the authorities in his neighborhood were unaware of his "weirdness." As seen in the following article from the Washington Post, Cruz's public behavior and threatening statements were not the red flags; he was a red flag! Nothing about him was not a red flag. He should have never passed a background check.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/fla-shooting-suspect-had-a-history-of-explosive-anger-depression-killing-animals/2018/02/15/06f05710-1291-11e8-9570-29c9830535e5_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_cruz-profile-533am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.6ab0c4edfedd

And it's not like the local police were unaware of his conduct, since they were regular visitors to his residence.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 03:30 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Even if the FBI or social services had responded there's no guarantee that they would have stopped him from carrying it out a month later.

This is an important point.

How many absolutist 2nd amendment supporters would support a law that would allow this kids firearms to be confiscated because he said some abhorrent things on a youtube video??
oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 03:43 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
.realize, Glennn, you, like oralloy, are trying to defend the indefensible

Civil rights are perfectly defensible.

MontereyJack wrote:
REmember Australia, which banned semi-autos too. It worked.

Only in the sense that the goal was to eliminate freedom and civil rights, and it eliminated freedom and civil rights.

MontereyJack wrote:
And only the out and out gun loonies maintain they aren't free,

Love of freedom and devotion to facts hardly makes someone a lunatic.
oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 03:46 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
They bang on about freedom but Oralloy is too frightened to leave the country.

Nonsense. My choice to not travel to a country where there is no freedom has nothing to do with fear. I just have a marked preference for being where I have protected civil rights.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 03:50 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
And a cop once told me that if I wanted to shoot someone I should use a shotgun because of the lack of ballistic evidence.

Only applies to shot (that doesn't contact the barrel). Doesn't apply to slugs/sabots. Unless maybe you pick up the discarded sabot pieces and remove them from the crime scene.

Spent shells ejected from a shotgun can be used as ballistic evidence too.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 03:51 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
It's sad that the Brits have been so enslaved that they see freedom as a punishment. Once a proud, self reliant people that are now just kowtowed slaves paying for the use of air and living in rented homes from the landed gentry. Bunch of freaking serfs really.

Perhaps, if these motivated children had not mistreated thier classmate and driven them to such an extreme, the idiot wouldn't have seen the need to punish the entire school with violent death. Perhaps if someone had eaten lunch with him, or taken an interest in his life or, heaven forbid, been his friend, none of this would have happened.

Don't blame guns. Blame the people that drove the kid to such an extreme event. Blame the very same kids that are now believing they are going to change the world. Had they changed their own behavior, they could have prevented this.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 03:58 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
What's really sad is that you would characterize the UK in a manner which demonstrates your ignorance and prejudices so thoroughly.

His description of the UK was entirely accurate and correct.

hightor wrote:
I have to quote this in its pathetic entirety, before it gets deleted. Jeezus, I've just about seen it all — McG is blaming the victims! Real class act!! Great post!!!

It was indeed a great post.

These whiny brats were so cruel to someone who was suffering that he snapped and tried to gun them all down. And now they are trying to blame civil rights supporters for a shooting that they were the ultimate cause of.

Don't expect much sympathy for these brats to come from my quarter either.
oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 04:23 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Confiscate them, of course!

Unconstitutional. The Heller ruling specifies that we have the right to have handguns.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 04:25 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I thought you might come to your senses and delete it while you had the chance.

I'd be proud to have composed that post. It was well-written, factual, and got straight to the point of the matter.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 04:26 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
They didn't defend any freedoms in Iraq or Vietnam.

Yes we did.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 04:27 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Kid can't control his own bank account til he's 21 but he could buy a weapon to kill multiple people with.
Pretty fucked up right there.

Lots of kids are responsible hunters. That's why the schools are closed for the first two days of deer season.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 04:30 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
How many absolutist 2nd amendment supporters would support a law that would allow this kids firearms to be confiscated because he said some abhorrent things on a youtube video??

I'd likely be concerned over due process grounds.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 06:08 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:

Said some abhorrent things on you tube? Obviously you didn't bother to read the article I linked to. So I'll summarize it for you.

When he was in the fourth grade he liked to bloody up squirrels with his pellet gun, and then he started on chickens. As a teenager he snuck into his neighbor's yard and tried to get his dogs to attack their baby pigs. One neighbor saw him ramming long sticks into rabbit holes, apparently trying to kill anything trapped inside. Some neighbors said they called the cops on him frequently, and cop cars were at his house regularly to deal with the latest complaint against him.

Later he became more isolated, withdrawing from even his brother. Then others finally withdrew from him because he started posting scary posts on Instagram and photos of stuff like the bloodied body of a dead frog, and that he wanted to become a school-shooter. Then he was expelled from school, lost his mother to pneumonia and became depressed. He had an explosive temper and seemed to get off on antagonizing others. A kid who grew up on the same block said that people were afraid of him and that just about everybody on his part of the street had a run-in with him; he picked fights with other kids, stole people's mail, threw rocks and vandalized property, got called stealing a neighbor's bike, got caught peeking into a woman's bedroom, and started throwing eggs at his neighbor's car.

Then the daughter of a neighbor drove past him as he was waiting for the school bus. Cruz attacked her car, slamming it with his backpack. She called the police, and they stationed an officer at the intersection to make sure he didn't throw anything at cars. At school he started selling knives out of his lunchbox, and posting on Instagram about guns and killing animals.

He was repeatedly suspended from school. The school administration sent out emails to teachers asking them to keep an eye on him. The Broward County Mayor told CNN that Cruz had been receiving treatment at a mental-health clinic for a while, but that he had not been to the clinic for more than a year. Furthermore, the FBI was tipped off about his violent behavior and threatening remarks. At least they admitted that they failed to follow protocol concerning investigating this guy.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 11:31 pm
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here ever called authorities (child services, elder abuse, crimes that the police, should know about or at least look into, sexual abuse in schools, drug use in schools, drug or prostitution in an apartment complex, multiple gunshots in the woods behind you house (residential not hunting season and even if it was hunting season those assholes can t hunt on private property), dead deers in your backyard with huge bullet hole wounds, call the local police when a creepy door to door 'sales man' was seen walking thru your yard and looking in your back windows? Did you get any help from your local authorities? If you have please tell me the general area where you live, because I'd love to talk to local authorities who actually give a **** when something goes terribly wrong.
oralloy

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 01:57 am
@glitterbag,
Sounds like a good argument for having a reliable self defense gun.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 02:42 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

It was indeed a great post.

These whiny brats were so cruel to someone who was suffering that he snapped and tried to gun them all down. And now they are trying to blame civil rights supporters for a shooting that they were the ultimate cause of.

Don't expect much sympathy for these brats to come from my quarter either.

Thanks man. Appreciated.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 02:51 pm
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 04:29 pm
It used to be soldiers laying down their lives to protect your way of life. Now it's school kids laying down their lives for the rights of little men to protect their dick replacements. And apparently the solution is to turn teachers into commandos. No wonder the US is sliding down the **** hole.