Guns: how much longer will it take ....

hightor

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:10 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:

And did you know that shotguns are used for murder more than rifles are?

Can you provide a citation for that claim?
Quote:
Studies of the guns used in homicides show that large caliber revolvers are the most frequent type of gun used in homicides, but the number of large caliber semiautomatic guns used in murders is increasing.

U.S. Department of Justice

Shotguns are great for suicide. And a cop once told me that if I wanted to shoot someone I should use a shotgun because of the lack of ballistic evidence. But I don't think they would be the ideal choice for a mass murder.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Who gave this 3 thumbs up? Hardly deserving.

The home of the brave is just fine. A lot of the home of the brave is out and about the world serving and defending the freedoms and safety of the world. Do you deny that?

It's sad that the Brits have been so enslaved that they see freedom as a punishment. Once a proud, self reliant people that are now just kowtowed slaves paying for the use of air and living in rented homes from the landed gentry. Bunch of freaking serfs really.

Perhaps, if these motivated children had not mistreated thier classmate and driven them to such an extreme, the idiot wouldn't have seen the need to punish the entire school with violent death. Perhaps if someone had eaten lunch with him, or taken an interest in his life or, heaven forbid, been his friend, none of this would have happened.

Don't blame guns. Blame the people that drove the kid to such an extreme event. Blame the very same kids that are now believing they are going to change the world. Had they changed their own behavior, they could have prevented this.
hightor

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:24 pm
@McGentrix,
Military personnel make up less than 1% of the US population and it's debatable how many of them are "defending the freedoms and safety of the world." Yes, I deny that.
Quote:
It's sad that the Brits have been so enslaved that they see freedom as a punishment.

What's really sad is that you would characterize the UK in a manner which demonstrates your ignorance and prejudices so thoroughly.
Quote:
Perhaps, if these motivated children had not mistreated thier classmate and driven them to such an extreme, the idiot wouldn't have seen the need to punish the entire school with violent death. Perhaps if someone had eaten lunch with him, or taken an interest in his life or, heaven forbid, been his friend, none of this would have happened.

Don't blame guns. Blame the people that drove the kid to such an extreme event. Blame the very same kids that are now believing they are going to change the world. Had they changed their own behavior, they could have prevented this.

I have to quote this in its pathetic entirety, before it gets deleted. Jeezus, I've just about seen it all — McG is blaming the victims! Real class act!! Great post!!!
McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:34 pm
@hightor,
Why would it be deleted?

Can you explain this shooter or any other school shooters motivations? I'[d be interested to hear it from you. Please explain what motivated this kid in Florida to do what he did?

Oh, and 7.4% of the American population have served in the military.
Glennn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:41 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Can you provide a citation for that claim?

Of course.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

It seems that the people fixated on the media-promoted idea that rifles are the bad apple of firearms hasn't even bothered to actually compare statistics that would set them straight.
Quote:
Studies of the guns used in homicides show that large caliber revolvers are the most frequent type of gun used in homicides

So it's the handguns now? What do you suggest we do about that?
Quote:
but the number of large caliber semiautomatic guns used in murders is increasing.

Well let's see. In 2007 there were 453 murders by rifle; in 2008 there were 380; in 2009 there were 351; in 2010 there were 367; in 2011 there were 323. I believe that your information was from 1995.
Quote:
But I don't think they (shotguns) would be the ideal choice for a mass murder.

I think that semi-automatic pistols would be ideal. And since that is the weapon of choice of murderers, I would think that you would be up in arms about that.
hightor

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:47 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Can you explain this shooter or any other school shooters motivations?

No.
Quote:
Oh, and 7.4% of the American population have served in the military.

They're not on active duty 'defending freedom', they're people who have served. Including me.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:52 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I have to quote this in its pathetic entirety, before it gets deleted. Jeezus, I've just about seen it all — McG is blaming the victims! Real class act!! Great post!!!

Wow! Then you must really feel indignant concerning the FBI's dropping of the ball in the lead up to this crime.
hightor

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:53 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
It seems that the people fixated on the media-promoted idea that rifles are the bad apple of firearms hasn't even bothered to actually compare statistics that would set them straight.

I think the emphasis and attention has really been on mass killings where so-called assault weapons seem to be the weapon of choice. The statistics alone may be too broad to show the actual nature and circumstances of the killings.
Quote:
So it's the handguns now? What do you suggest we do about that?

Confiscate them, of course!
Quote:
I believe that your information was from 1995.

Damn, I hate it when that happens.

hightor

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:57 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Then you must really feel indignant concerning the FBI's dropping of the ball in the lead up to this crime.

Why would I feel "indignant"? Other local law enforcement agencies dropped the ball as well. I'm under no illusions as to the likelihood of these crimes ever being completely prevented. Nor do I feel the need to assign "blame" to anyone other than the shooter.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:58 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Don't blame guns.

Blame the idiots who allow them on the streets.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:59 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Why would it be deleted?

I thought you might come to your senses and delete it while you had the chance.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:00 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

The home of the brave is just fine. A lot of the home of the brave is out and about the world serving and defending the freedoms and safety of the world. Do you deny that?

Of course I do. They're defending American interests. They didn't defend any freedoms in Iraq or Vietnam.

McGentrix wrote:

It's sad that the Brits have been so enslaved that they see freedom as a punishment. Once a proud, self reliant people that are now just kowtowed slaves paying for the use of air and living in rented homes from the landed gentry. Bunch of freaking serfs really.

I dare you to come over here and say that to my face.
Glennn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:21 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I think the emphasis and attention has really been on mass killings where so-called assault weapons seem to be the weapon of choice.

No. In mass shootings from 1999 to 2013, the weapon of choice was handguns by a margin of five to one.
Quote:
Confiscate them, of course!

But I've already shown you that knives, clubs, fists, and feet work just fine for people with murder on their mind.
Quote:
Damn, I hate it when that happens.

Oh I would, too.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I dare you to come over here and say that to my face.

Are you now playing the internet tough guy? You going to beat up McG if he says something mean to you?
Glennn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:29 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Why would I feel "indignant"? Other local law enforcement agencies dropped the ball as well. I'm under no illusions as to the likelihood of these crimes ever being completely prevented. Nor do I feel the need to assign "blame" to anyone other than the shooter.

The FBI was tipped off, and the shooter posted on social media. A person close to the shooter contacted the FBI in early January stating his concern about Cruz's gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting. I'm thinking that the FBI has some culpability in this affair. After all, the operative word in that acronym is investigation. It's kind of their job.
hightor

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:42 pm
@Glennn,
The FBI's role in cases like this is not to investigate, per se, but to forward the information to the Miami office and to local L.E. agencies. Which they did not do. Apparently tips like this go to a call center which receives over 2000 calls every day. The FBI is investigating why the tip wasn't passed on to field agents.

The tip came in over a month ago. The rifle was purchased legally, the shooter had no criminal record. People want to live in a perfect world where assholes are identifiable and justice is swift and sure. It doesn't work that way in real life.

hightor

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:43 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
But I've already shown you that knives, clubs, fists, and feet work just fine for people with murder on their mind.

Good. Let them work a little harder.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:59 pm
@Baldimo,
Just seeing how brave he is.

He insulted the whole country, I just insulted the frightened little men like you.

You're the ones behaving like serfs. We demanded UHC and got it, we demanded decent food standards, you have over 200 carcinogenic substances in your food that are banned over here. You allowed Cheney to take millions of US tax dollars for his friends in Halliburton and you swallowed the lie that it was in the name of freedom.

You don't act like a free person, more like a servile lickspittle.

Just to make things clear I'm not talking about all Americans, just the crawly bumlicks who voted for Trump.

And I'm not saying that American troops haven't acted to defend freedom and decency, just not when Republicans are in the Whitehouse. The last time it happened was in Kosovo courtesy of Bill Clinton, and didn't he get a load of **** for that.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:04 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
The FBI's role in cases like this is not to investigate, per se, but to forward the information to the Miami office and to local L.E. agencies.

Yeah, that's called getting the investigative ball rolling, which they didn't do, and they admit that they failed to follow protocol. Why are you making excuses for them?
Quote:
People want to live in a perfect world where assholes are identifiable

Uh, yeah, about that. Cruz had made numerous online posts about school shootings or murder, making comments like, “I wanna shoot people with my AR-15” and "I'm going to be a professional school shooter."

This summer Cruz made an online comment in response to a story about a disgruntled doctor in New York who used an AR-15 to shoot seven people, killing one and wounding six others. He said, "Man, I can do so much better."
Glennn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:06 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Good. Let them work a little harder.

Yeah but then you'll be making posts about the necessity to ban knives and hammers and stuff like that.
0 Replies