Guns: how much longer will it take ....

Wilso

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2023 07:29 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Read the first paragraph of this article, the mindset we in the US is just so wrong to say the very least.

Quote:
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — Andrew Lester had already gone to bed when the doorbell rang a little before 10 p.m. He got up, grabbed a gun and went to check it out. Seeing a Black male appearing to pull the handle of the front door, police say the 84-year-old white man opened fire. No questions asked.

AP

Is this what people do now in the US? You hear your doorbell or a knock at the door at night, you grab a gun?

That’s EXACTLY what people in the US do now. The “freedom” (I know I’ve said this before), the gun culture, has created a country where people are quite literally terrified of each other. It’s NOT going to get any better. It’s going to get worse. The whole country will become a war zone, where every person will be carrying a gun, and every dispute will end in a hail of bullets. The US in on a downward slide. I doubt it can be stopped now.
revelette1

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 08:05 am
@Wilso,
Well, no matter how depressed I get over the state of things right now, I guess, I always have hope that the tide will start to change at some point. Maybe not in my generation.

Sadly, you are right about the gun culture defining our gun violence.
Mame

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 05:10 pm
@revelette1,
Yes, guns have become normalized in the US. Of course you'd grab your gun!! Why ask when you can just shoot? Just assume they're a threat.

I don't know anyone in Canada who either a) HAS a gun, or b) would automatically assume you'd need to go get yours ... at a knock at the door, seeing someone in your driveway, etc.

The US has gone bonkers. Guns belong ONLY with the police, the military, warden guards, or farmers intent on killing varmints. Nobody else needs one.
vikorr

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 05:50 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
I don't know anyone in Canada who either a) HAS a gun

Um, Canadians have one of the highest rate of gun ownership in the world.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-ownership-by-country
Quote:
Top 10 Countries with Highest Gun Ownership (Civilian guns owned per 100 people):
United States - 120.5
Falkland Islands - 62.1
Yemen - 52.8
New Caledonia - 42.5
Serbia - 39.1 (tie)
Montenegro - 39.1 (tie)
Uruguay - 34.7 (tie)
Canada - 34.7 (tie)
Cyprus - 34
Finland - 32.4

Likely the main difference is that, compared to the US, Canadians look like sensible folk. I think the US 2nd ammendment lead to the polarisation of its citizenry, which over time lead to a hardened gun culture. I doubt their revered founding fathers ever foresaw the sheer lunacy it would lead to.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 11:01 pm
@vikorr,
Neither the Falkland Islands nor New Caledonia are countries.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 08:53 am
@vikorr,
Whether x number of Canadians own guns or not, I just said that I don't know anyone who has a gun. If they do they haven't told me. I suspect most gun owners live in rural areas for shooting coyotes and the like, or hunting. The topic of guns never comes up in conversation. It's just not a thing here.
thack45

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 12:03 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I don't know anyone who has a gun. If they do they haven't told me.

Interesting. Just a few months ago here in a suburb of Cincinnati (Ohio), my neighbor – a very nice lady – told me about some sort of funny business happening in the neighborhood, which felt like little more than a setup for her to inform me that she's a licensed concealed carry, or open carry, or whatever tf it was. And I'll never know if she was prodding for approval or a "hey me too!", or just wanted me to know that. But I definitely got the sense that the intent was to get the words out. US. Gun. Culture.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 04:20 pm
@Mame,
I realised that was the probable intent, but also realised given this was written as a comparison, that it could be taken to mean 'we don't have much of a gun culture'...even while Canada (as a comparison) has one of the most prominent gun cultures in the western world.

...but one that still isn't anywhere near as over the top or overt as the US (as I suggested later in my post). Of course no other country is any where near as insane in their feelings of need for their guns as the US.
Mame

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 05:27 pm
@vikorr,
It was a shocking surprise to me to have learned we have that high a gun culture.

I know hunting is big in the interior where the moose, bear, deer, martens and the like hang out. I was cooking in a drilling camp in Smithers, BC and a marten helped himself to some meat I was thawing outside on the freezer. Our camp manager got out some kind of rifle and went hunting for him. That's the first time I saw anyone with a rifle.

Likely there are some collectors, or enthusiasts, but I think mainly it's farmers and ranchers who own one or more guns.

I don't understand the rabidity re: guns that's come out in the last year or two down there. I guess it's all the radical fringe getting wound up. But for governors and whomever to pass these laws that state there doesn't have to be any training, a license, a background check, and they can conceal it... scary! Even if the family of these legislators were killed, I doubt that would change anything, so I don't know what would work except electing decent people who would repeal these laws. It's far too late, I fear, for the mindset of the fringe.
vikorr

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 07:20 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Even if the family of these legislators were killed, I doubt that would change anything
I'd have to disagree, but for a very good reason. It appears Politicians don't do anything because they live in ivory castles. In the State I live in, there was a bikie brawl in a resteraunt where a politician was eating his meal...

...Suddenly we had the worlds most draconian anti-bikie laws, where they weren't even allowed to associate with each other. It was so successful that other Australian States copied it...

...until the courts ruled the legislation unlawful...

But all that because a politician felt fearful of a brawl that happened in front of him. It is like they don't comprehend it until it happens in front of them, or something similar to this.
revelette1

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2023 11:53 am
It's true, there is no hiding or denying it, my country the US has a gun cultural problem along with many other problems which seems to make living here more dangerous by the day. For another sad example, I know some of you have expressed disinterest in our gun deaths because we don't do anything about it, however there are some who are and have been trying to fight it.

5 dead, including a child, after shooting at a Texas home and a suspect with AR-style rifle is still at large
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2023 04:23 pm
@vikorr,
Aren't you in Oz? Totally different!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2023 09:36 pm
The carnage continues unabated. You need more guns to make your society peaceful

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/texas-man-kills-five-neighbours-after-they-complained-about-noise-20230430-p5d4ar.html
glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2023 10:29 pm
@Wilso,
Yes, I buy 45 guns every time my pension arrives. Can't be too safe with all these 80 year olds living here. These old folks are angry and ambitious.
vikorr

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2023 02:03 am
@glitterbag,
Don't forget all the toddlers that shoot people...need more guns to protect yourself from them too...

...oh wait, that is with all the excess guns people leave lying around.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2023 08:42 am
So far the suspect of the shooting in Cleveland, Texas has not been found. Governor Abbot tweets Saturday was a good day.

Texas shooting – latest: Francisco Oropeza still at large as five victims shot in Cleveland ‘execution’ named

Greg Abbott Slammed for Tweet After Mass Shooting: 'No Shame'
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 May, 2023 11:01 am
@revelette1,
Why Gov. Abbott invoked the immigration status of shooting victims
Quote:
[... ... ...]
The suspect, Francisco Oropeza, remains at large. On Twitter, Abbott announced a reward for his capture — including identifying both Oropeza and the five victims as undocumented immigrants.

For what it’s worth, that last point appears not to be true. Diana Velasquez Alvarado, 21, seems to have been a legal permanent resident of the country. If the slain boy was born in the United States, he would be a citizen; if not, he would have fallen into the group of minor immigrants that has been long segmented out of discussions about illegal immigration.

But that’s beside the point. The point is that Abbott and his team decided to highlight the immigration status of five people killed in a mass killing.

It’s not hard to guess one reason this decision might have been made. Abbott’s consistent focus on the danger of immigrants in his state illegally lends value to casting this mass killing as internal to a marginalized community.

The echoes with right-wing rhetoric about Black-on-Black crime are unavoidable. In each case, there’s an element of depicting the violence as particularly problematic in — or perhaps inherent to, depending on the speaker and the context — some other community. It uses victim status itself as an indictment.

After all, there was no nonpolitical reason to mention immigration status. Had all parties involved been U.S. citizens, that would not have been mentioned by Abbott at all. Had only the victims been citizens, the shooter’s status would have been included. This is how the rhetorical calculus works.

It might have taken eight years, but we now have Abbott’s response to Trump’s rhetoric about criminal immigrants. Jeb Bush seems clearly to have been wrong; Trump’s comments weren’t “way out of the mainstream of what most Republicans think.” Abbott, like Trump, understands that casting immigrants as dangerous is politically beneficial. Also like Trump, it’s not entirely clear whether he believes that they are.
revelette1

Reply Mon 1 May, 2023 11:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Abbott, like Trump, understands that casting immigrants as dangerous is politically beneficial. Also like Trump, it’s not entirely clear whether he believes that they are.

Whether they actually feel that way (I say they do) or not, little matters. It matters more, they get so much support for being bigots against everything but 'seemingly straight' white males. Disgustingly typical of the Republican Party. They are like the old southern democrats, but amplified and expanded 100%. Also, a change of subject to focus elsewhere other than gun violence.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 1 May, 2023 10:55 pm
All Texas students third grade and up to be trained in battlefield trauma care. GOOD F*CKING CHRIST WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Quote:
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to the regulation of bleeding control stations in public
schools.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 38.030, Education Code, is amended by
amending Subsections (b) and (d) and adding Subsection (d-1) to
read as follows:
(b) The protocol required under this section must:
(1) provide for a school district or open-enrollment
charter school to maintain and make available to school employees
and volunteers bleeding control stations, as described by
Subsection (d), for use in the event of a traumatic injury involving
blood loss;
(2) ensure that bleeding control stations are stored
in easily accessible areas of the campus that are selected by the
district's school safety and security committee or the charter
school's governing body;
(3) require that agency-approved training on the use
of a bleeding control station in the event of an injury to another
person be provided to:
(A) each school district peace officer
commissioned under Section 37.081 or school security personnel
employed under that section who provides security services at the
campus;
(B) each school resource officer who provides law
enforcement at the campus; and
(C) all other district or school personnel who
may be reasonably expected to use a bleeding control station; and
(4) require the district or charter school to annually
offer instruction on the use of a bleeding control station from a
school resource officer or other appropriate district or school
personnel who has received the training under Subdivision (3) to
students enrolled at the campus in grade three [seven] or higher.
(d) A bleeding control station required under this section
must contain all of the following required supplies in quantities
determined appropriate by the superintendent of the district or the
director of the school:
(1) tourniquets approved for use in battlefield trauma
care by the armed forces of the United States;
(2) chest seals;
(3) compression bandages;
(4) bleeding control bandages;
(5) space emergency blankets;
(6) latex-free gloves;
(7) markers;
(8) scissors; [and]
(9) instructional documents developed by the American
College of Surgeons or the United States Department of Homeland
Security detailing methods to prevent blood loss following a
traumatic event; and
(10) emergency alerting devices.
(d-1) In this section, "emergency alerting device" means a
device designed to send, once the case containing the device is
opened, an emergency alert that provides continuous information
about the location of the device to preprogrammed recipients,
including 9-1-1 call centers, school resource officers, and
emergency services personnel, using multiple forms of
communication technology to ensure connectivity, including
cellular telephone technology, Bluetooth technology, global
positioning system technology, general packet radio service
technology, and wireless computer networking technology.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2023.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 6 May, 2023 09:17 pm
You can’t go to work, to the MALL, to the grocery store, to your church, to the movies or the bank.
You can’t attend a concert, go to a dance class or go to see your doctor. You can’t ring a doorbell, use a leaf blower, hop in a car, pull down a driveway, bounce a ball, or ask the neighbor to keep it down.
You can’t check out a farmer’s market or mail something at the post office or go to a parade, and you certainly can’t send your kids to school without worrying that someone will get shot.
That someone you LOVE will get shot.
Or that YOU will get shot.
This is where you are now.
This is not normal.
And this is not ok.
It’s NOT ok.
0 Replies