Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 02:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Ar15 ish weapons are beter suited for killing lots of peop I e very quickly than handguns fists or knives.

That is incorrect. Long guns with large magazines and low recoil are better suited for killing lots of people very quickly.

Having a pistol grip on a semi-auto long gun does not make it any deadlier.

MontereyJack wrote:
I know you zealots have no Interest in reducing the murder rate as long as you can have your toys

Don't be silly. Your laws against pistol grips do nothing to save lives, and preventing you from banning pistol grips does no harm to anyone at all.

MontereyJack wrote:
and hide behind a bogus view of the 2A that would appall the founding fathers

That progressives think that civil liberties are bogus is why people should vote for Republicans (both pro-Trump and anti-Trump).

MontereyJack wrote:
Support sanity. Ban them.

No. We are not going to violate people's civil liberties here in the US.
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 04:47 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
New Zealand doesn't have something like the second amendment to protect it's people from zealots.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the belt of countries stretching from Finland to Switzerland. Freedom is alive and well in parts of Europe.

In Finland, "national defense" is considered valid justification for individuals to privately purchase and own semi-auto rifles with 30 round detachable magazines.

People in the Baltic states can freely get a license to carry a concealed handgun with 20 round detachable magazines in public for personal self defense. Lithuania and Estonia have militias for national defense, with militiamen allowed to have full-auto rifles.

People in the Czech Republic can freely get a license to carry 2 concealed handguns with 20 round detachable magazines in public for personal self defense. They are also allowed to have semi-auto rifles with 10 round detachable magazines for home defense.

People in Slovakia are allowed to have semi-auto rifles with 10 round detachable magazines for home defense. People in many parts of Slovakia can freely get a license to carry a concealed handgun with 20 round detachable magazines in public for personal self defense.

People in Austria are allowed to have semi-auto rifles with 10 round detachable magazines for home defense.

Switzerland famously has a militia for national defense, and issues full-auto rifles to their militiamen that they can keep at home.

And that's just guns that are specifically for personal or national defense. People in these countries are also allowed to have semi-auto rifles with 30 round magazines for sporting purposes (though they have to be active competitors in that case).

In Poland people are limited to "sporting licenses". But a Polish "sporting license" allows people to carry a concealed handgun with 20 round detachable magazines in public.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 09:44 am
@oralloy,
It takes someone really stupid to think that a law that specifically bans an entire weapon is really just about a purely definitional part of that eweapon, and is nor even on all the weapons it bans and is just in those laws to specify which weapokns are covered and which aren;t. Who here would be that dim?
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 09:45 am
@oralloy,
incorrect. totally.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 10:38 am
@oralloy,
Every time somebody shoots and injures or kills someone ellse, he is violating their civl liberties. Siince you andyour ilk facilitated getting that gun and violating someone's civil libertiues with it, you are equally gui;ty of violating civil liberties. That makes you guilty of abetting murder, ands that ain't a civil libeerty, so give me no crapp about excusing the gun violence you foment.
Mame

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 01:21 pm
@MontereyJack,
I find it mind-boggling that people don't see the correlation between access to and owning guns and ... murders. The easier the access, the more guns sold. The more guns in hands of mentally ill or deranged or angry people, the more murders. What's not to get? I don't even know why there are laws about 'carrying'. Who would need to carry a gun, concealed or not? Unless you're in some form of law enforcement where it's a part of your uniform... Nobody is threatening you or your family in a schoolyard, parade, McDonald's... keep your guns at home.
vikorr

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 01:44 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
The easier the access, the more guns sold. The more guns in hands of mentally ill or deranged or angry people, the more murders. What's not to get?
I agree with this part.

But I don't see the logic behind someone saying "Who would need to carry a gun, concealed or not?...no one is threatening you in a schoolyard" while they have a complaint about mass school shootings.

I, by the way, think guns should be kept at home, in a safe.
Mame

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 03:39 pm
@vikorr,
I suppose that these days it wouldn't go amiss if you were to carry a gun if you're picking up your child from school. How sad. However, I meant that as a general person just going about their business. If you're off to get a quart of milk or attend a dance class, would you take a gun?
McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 04:03 pm
@Mame,
Did you know that they made shooting people a crime? It has been a crime for a long time.

Did you know vehicular homicide is also against the law? Yet I don't hear any kind of hue and cry about banning vehicles.

Stabbing people is also a crime and kills people! More people are stabbed to death in America than are shot by rifles...

You are a zealot chasing the shadow made by a puppetmaster. If you don't want a gun, that is fine. I don't want you to get an abortion. You give up abortions and we can talk about giving up guns.
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 04:33 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
It takes someone really stupid to think that a law that specifically bans an entire weapon is really just about a purely definitional part of that weapon, and is nor even on all the weapons it bans and is just in those laws to specify which weapons are covered and which aren't. Who here would be that dim?

Characterizing people who tell the truth as stupid is about the worst you can do to us. We truth-tellers are lucky that you are not in a position to do actual harm.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 04:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
oralloy wrote:
No. We are not going to violate people's civil liberties here in the US.

incorrect. totally.

That you desire to violate people's civil liberties does not mean you will succeed in doing so.

The NRA will always stop you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 04:35 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Every time somebody shoots and injures or kills someone else, he is violating their civl liberties. Since you and your ilk facilitated getting that gun and violating someone's civil liberties with it, you are equally guilty of violating civil liberties. That makes you guilty of abetting murder, ands that ain't a civil liberty, so give me no crap about excusing the gun violence you foment.

That is incorrect. Preventing you from banning pistol grips does no harm to anyone at all.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 04:36 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
I find it mind-boggling that people don't see the correlation between access to and owning guns and ... murders.

Some of us just prefer facts and reality over leftist delusion.

Mame wrote:
The easier the access, the more guns sold.

This is a good thing.

Mame wrote:
The more guns in hands of mentally ill or deranged or angry people, the more murders.

Depends on what you mean by mentally ill.

If you characterize "the need to wear glasses" as a mental illness then no.

Mame wrote:
I don't even know why there are laws about 'carrying'.

Many states in the US have no laws about carrying.

Leftist states pass laws that try to limit carrying because leftists can't stand civil liberties.

Mame wrote:
Who would need to carry a gun, concealed or not?

Why did Rosa Parks "need" to sit in the front of the bus?

In a free country, there is no requirement to show "need" to exercise a right.

Mame wrote:
Unless you're in some form of law enforcement where it's a part of your uniform...

Guns are not merely part of a uniform. Police carry guns for a reason. It's the same reason why civilians carry them.

Mame wrote:
Nobody is threatening you or your family in a schoolyard, parade, McDonald's...

Unfortunately your proclamations are contrary to reality.

Mame wrote:
keep your guns at home.

We are not serfs, and you are not our lord. We will do whatever we feel like doing, and you will have no say in the matter.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 04:38 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
I, by the way, think guns should be kept at home, in a safe.

If that is what you choose for yourself, that is your right.

Just remember that you have no right to choose for other people.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 05:03 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
I meant that as a general person just going about their business. If you're off to get a quart of milk or attend a dance class, would you take a gun?

Of course.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 08:44 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy just ;oves thousands of vioatoons of civil libeeties. indeed he encourages vioi violations of civl liberties.. Every time someone with a gun *(whose ownership oralloy has spent years promoting0 SHOOTS SOMEONE, THAT IS A VIIOLATION OF THE CIVIL LIBERTIES OF THE PERSON WHO IS SHOT. Which puts you right up there with the Genghis Khans and Loo Nols ans Steve Paddocs, and Dtlan Roof, and Nic Cruzs of history. Shame on yhou, oralloy.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 08:47 pm
@McGentrix,
steve Paddock/ Dylan Roof. Nic Cruz.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 09:24 pm
@MontereyJack,
Wrong again. Preventing you from outlawing pistol grips does not cause a single murder to occur. Ever.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 09:24 pm
@oralloy,
the full text of the seond amendment, for those who have not parsed it lately:'"'A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Notice several things. Nowhere does it mention guns. Nowhere does it say all kinds of arms are necessarily avaulable to anyone. All it says is that people must have access ro some kind of arms, no particular one mentioned. Yherefore, if citizens have access to ONE kind of arms, just one of any kind, the conditions of the second amendment are met. So it is perefectly legal to restrict outlaw, orban guns outright, as long as you provide an alternative. I propose the pike, the 8 or `10 foot long thrusting spear that wwas the primary foot soldier's weapoon for most of two thousand years,, including centuries after gunpowder came in... For the originalists among us, the pike wass a weapoln the framers of the constiutution would have been well familiar withm= whereas they could never have even conceived of an AR15 when they wrote the second amendment. Ity was a militia weapon as well, as witness the song "Yhe Rising pof the <Moon' by the Clancy Brothers, "With their pikes upon their choulders at the rising of the moon",the freedom song from Irelland, where so many of our ancestors came from.. And that's the facts. Sp putlawing AR15sis a perfectly constitutionalwway to start restoring sanityto a country overflowing with homicidal gun loonies.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 09:25 pm
@oralloy,
and no one except you in your fever dreams has tried to outlaw pistol grips. Loony tunes. See my previous post fokr the true facts.