Guns: how much longer will it take ....

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 05:37 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27973056_2246959615346363_7499177197105758513_n.jpg?oh=759ce6f12d0fae908a1d446f9111dd33&oe=5B01E5DA
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 05:40 pm
I've read accounts of kids all over the country who are afraid to go to school. This is a different climate than was the case when Reagan was shot and Brady, too, leading to his gun control campaign. The gun whackos may had sown the seeds of their own destruction. A generation may be growing up with the resolve and the will to make substantive change.

One can only hope.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 05:47 pm
@Setanta,
I just saw Houston parents getting their kids bullet proof backpacks. Seems like profiting on people's fear rather than a solution to anything. But I may have missed the logic.
Below viewing threshold (view)
glitterbag

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 08:24 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

As has already been repeatedly pointed out, nothing in that rule had anything to do with mental illness.

Obama was deliberately targeting ordinary people of sound mind.

Had he been allowed to succeed with that outrage, he would have expanded it to include more and more people. Next on the target list was people who wear glasses (a tribute to the left's hero Pol Pot).

The left's goal is to prevent everyone (you too) from having guns.

This might be the biggest lunatic idea I've ever heard expressed. Even Oral
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 03:25 am
@glitterbag,
It sounds like the sort of thing a mass shooter would say, paranoid, frightened and incapable of dealing with reality.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 06:42 am
A local news channel posted this on face book:
ABC13 Houston
7 hrs ·
"I could have easily sold this rifle, but no person needs this. I will be the change I want to see in this world," Ben Dickmann wrote after surrendering his AR-57. "If our lawmakers will continue to close their eyes and open their wallets, I will lead by example."
hightor

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 06:49 am
@edgarblythe,
Back after the Sandy Hook incident a local machinist offered to destroy people's guns if they no longer wanted to keep them. I don't know how many people voluntarily turned in weapons for him to destroy but the hate campaign that was waged against him forced him to withdraw the offer after a day or two.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 01:51 pm

students across the country think their basic American rights to life, liberty and the ppursuit of happiness are more important than som sick gun nuts alleged "right" to a weapon to kill doens with. And they're right. And they want Congress to get off the pot and actually DO somethin about it. Look out, orqalloy, some of them will be voting in 2018 and most of them will be of age to vote in 2020, and they don't like the way you interpret the Constitution.
Quote:
Students to Boycott Schools Until Congress Acts on Guns
In response to Wednesday's school shooting in Florida, high school students and teachers across the country are planning walkouts this spring to push Congress to act on guns.
On Twitter, students used the hashtags #NationalSchoolWalkout, #April20 and #April20Walkout to plan mass boycotts on the anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting on April 20, 1999, as well as a separate walkout on March 14. Thousands have signed a petition from the Twitter account "National School Walkout." The goal: to make Congress listen to a population that, for the most part, doesn't have voting rights.
"Nothing has changed since Columbine," reads the petition on change.org. "Let us start a movement that lets the government know the time for change is now."

© REUTERS/Jonathan Drake 02_17_SchoolShooting
It's unclear where, exactly, the movement started, and there's a separate school walkout planned for March 14, which was circulated by the Twitter account "Women's March Youth." That walkout will last for 17 minutes, to honor the 17 victims in the Parkland, Florida, shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

"Enough is enough!" the post reads. "Women's March Youth EMPOWER is calling for students, teachers, and allies to take part in a #NationalSchoolWalkout for 17 minutes at 10am on March 14, 2018."
On a Facebook event page with thousands of attendees, organizers of the Women's March urged not only students but also parents, teachers and administrators, to join in for the 17 minutes.
"Parents have the right to send their kids to school in the mornings and see them home alive at the end of the day," they wrote.
It's a call to action from a demographic that has been vocal during this week's tragedy. Twitter accounts from classmates of those killed on Wednesday featured strong words for anyone who doubted the need for gun laws. In a response to a tweet from President Donald Trump offering "thoughts and prayers" for the victims, a student of the high school tweeted: "Why was a student able to terrorize my school mr president."
0 Replies