Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2021 04:46 am
@vikorr,
I somehow think that even with effective safe storage laws across the nation there would still be a supply of illegal stolen guns.

Guns can even be made from scratch if they cannot be stolen. It would be easy for enterprising criminals to make double-barreled sawed-off shotguns from scratch. And they would be a lot deadlier than handguns.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2021 05:11 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

In my view, arguing for freedom from regulation (and virtually every 'right' is regulated) is akin to saying 'school shootings are a price worth paying for the freedom from gun regulation'

Of course it is, some sad loser's need to strut around with a gun trying to feel big.

Look at advocates, you can tell from his response that Oralloy doesn't give a **** about the human life. The opposite in fact, just like at Sandy Hook he seem to take vicarious sexual pleasure in the killing of children.

If that's not bad enough he also mocks the victims and their loved ones.
oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2021 06:02 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Of course it is, some sad loser's need to strut around with a gun trying to feel big.

Serfs just can't understand what freedom is and why free people value it.

izzythepush wrote:
The opposite in fact, just like at Sandy Hook he seem to take vicarious sexual pleasure in the killing of children.

Nonsense.

izzythepush wrote:
If that's not bad enough he also mocks the victims and their loved ones.

Nonsense again. I support their torment, but I do not provide it.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2021 03:52 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I somehow think that even with effective safe storage laws across the nation there would still be a supply of illegal stolen guns
Every country has a supply of illegal guns. They can never be completely eliminated. That said, the lower the supply of illicit guns, the more difficult they are to get a hold of for the average person as they tend to centralise into the hands of hardened criminals. The more difficult they are to get a hold of (as mentioned previously):

- the more time is needed to get a hold of them (rather than being freely available in the home), giving time to either change their mind, or be discovered. Both outcomes leading to a lower rate of school shootings

- having to go through criminal lines (with many of them having no ties to such), leading to them either changing their mind for being too difficult, or trying to source them - meaning they have to multiple searches or ask multiple questions, or both... increasing the likelihood they will be identified as a true threat, or plain caught doing something illegal (while sourcing a gun from home does not create such waves, and is easy if not stored in a safe)

- etc
Mame

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2021 03:57 pm
I think the entire USA has to do a re-think of what "the right to bear arms" means. Did they mean it's okay to bear arms to protect your family and property? Or that anyone can walk freely among people while carrying and that anyone can bear arms for any reason whatsoever?

What was the intent of that language? The intent is extremely important and if arms-bearers are going to quote it ad nauseam, we need to know what the initial intent was.
Wilso

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2021 03:57 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

oralloy wrote:

Really good rock concert venue right next to that town. I have a lot of good memories there (meaning the concerts, never been to the town).

Wow, a person mentions four kids shot up at school by another kid and you talk about your good times at a rock concert venue. If that doesn't show your disconnect, I don't know what does.

He’s a psychopath. The anonymity of the internet removes the need for the mask he wears in society.
Mame

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2021 04:05 pm
@Mame,
"In its first opportunity to rule specifically on whose right the Second Amendment protects, District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), the Court ruled that the amendment protects an individual right "to keep and carry arms in case of confrontation," not contingent on service in a militia, while indicating, in dicta, that restrictions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, on the carrying of arms in sensitive locations, and with respect to the conditions on the sale of firearms could pass constitutional muster. In the 2010 case of McDonald v. Chicago, the Court applied incorporation doctrine to extend the Second Amendment's protections nationwide."

"...the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), No. 07-290, that "[t]he Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."[23]"

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2021 11:36 pm
The US needs to add a holiday to its calendar to honour the sacrifice of all the brave schoolchildren who lay down their lives to defend Americans right to bear arms
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 05:36 am
https://images.indianexpress.com/2021/12/us-gop-gun-christmas-pic.jpg
BillW

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 05:14 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

https://images.indianexpress.com/2021/12/us-gop-gun-christmas-pic.jpg

Most if not all of the weapons are illegal. There is a M-60 machine gun (shoots 550 rounds a minute) a Thompson sub machine gun, an Uzi machine pistol, 2 M16s, an LR-300 master blaster and a last weapon along the lines of the LR-300. Both of the last two have removable stocks that turn them into machine pistols.

I will assume the M-16s are automatic. Why not, that would make all these weapons illegal to be owned by the general public. These facts make this picture even more repugnant!

Ahhhhh, the Republican spirit of Christmas is so jolly!
😖😶🤐
oralloy

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 10:32 pm
@BillW,
If they were registered prior to 1986 then those guns are all perfectly legal as full autos.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 10:48 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:
He’s a psychopath. The anonymity of the internet removes the need for the mask he wears in society.

You lie about me because you lack the ability to make intelligent arguments.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 10:50 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Every country has a supply of illegal guns. They can never be completely eliminated. That said, the lower the supply of illicit guns, the more difficult they are to get a hold of for the average person as they tend to centralise into the hands of hardened criminals. The more difficult they are to get a hold of (as mentioned previously):

- the more time is needed to get a hold of them (rather than being freely available in the home), giving time to either change their mind, or be discovered. Both outcomes leading to a lower rate of school shootings

- having to go through criminal lines (with many of them having no ties to such), leading to them either changing their mind for being too difficult, or trying to source them - meaning they have to multiple searches or ask multiple questions, or both... increasing the likelihood they will be identified as a true threat, or plain caught doing something illegal (while sourcing a gun from home does not create such waves, and is easy if not stored in a safe)

Like I said, I have no objection to safe storage requirements to prevent guns from being illicitly acquired.

However, I am not sure I like this as a solution for the problem of deeply troubled kids killing people. If a kid is deeply troubled, I think the better solution is to get them the help they need.

Simply preventing them from harming others without bothering to help them seems cruel and callous. It's the sort of solution that progressives would come up with. But I think we should all strive to be better than that.
oralloy

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 10:51 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
I think the entire USA has to do a re-think of what "the right to bear arms" means.

The meaning is not going to change.

Mame wrote:
Did they mean it's okay to bear arms to protect your family and property?

Yes.

Mame wrote:
Or that anyone can walk freely among people while carrying

That one is a bit complicated.

Mame wrote:
and that anyone can bear arms for any reason whatsoever?

Free people never have to give a reason for choosing to exercise their rights.

Mame wrote:
What was the intent of that language? The intent is extremely important and if arms-bearers are going to quote it ad nauseam, we need to know what the initial intent was.

The intent was for people to be able to have military weapons like machine guns and hand grenades so that they could bring them with them when they were called to militia duty. The intent was also for people to be able to use their military weapons to defend their homes.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 03:31 am
@oralloy,
there were neither machine guns nor hand grenades in existence when the 2nd amend was passed., it was for them to being muskets if they had to go to war. even scalia knew that. your interpretation is pure fantasy.
oralloy

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 06:36 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
there were neither machine guns nor hand grenades in existence when the 2nd amend was passed.,

Wrong on the grenades. But it wouldn't matter even if you had been right. Even if they hadn't been military weapons back then, they are military weapons now.

MontereyJack wrote:
it was for them to being muskets if they had to go to war. even scalia knew that.

Muskets were military weapons back then.

MontereyJack wrote:
your interpretation is pure fantasy.

Wrong again. I posted the actual meaning of the Second Amendment.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 12:05 pm
@MontereyJack,
They were also hunter/gatherers and needed protection against perceived Native American attacks (though, they were just as likely to be the aggressors).
oralloy

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 12:20 pm
@BillW,
Private self defense is important in modern times as well.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 12:34 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
However, I am not sure I like this as a solution for the problem of deeply troubled kids killing people. If a kid is deeply troubled, I think the better solution is to get them the help they need.

Simply preventing them from harming others without bothering to help them seems cruel and callous. It's the sort of solution that progressives would come up with. But I think we should all strive to be better than that.
I'm not sure why you would ever think than anyone, in speaking about a related but different topic, would not want troubled kids to get / be given / have access to help.

The concept of mult-faceted response does exist Smile
oralloy

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 12:46 pm
@vikorr,
Progressives have never failed to horrify me with their cruelty and callousness. I just always assume the worst from them. That way I'm prepared for it when they perpetrate their evils.
0 Replies