Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2021 07:52 pm
@MontereyJack,
I'll fix the capslock when I reply. You really should take my advice about that keyboard. Just be careful of the spider in the box when you open it. They must have their keyboards stored in an old warehouse or something.

I just scheduled my vaccination for next week.
oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2021 10:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
You're talking utter nonsense.

No I'm not. Laws against pistol grips are about pistol grips.

MontereyJack wrote:
As far as I can tell, the only person in the world who thinks this is about pistol grips is you.

Nice appeal to the crowd fallacy, but no. Laws against pistol grips are about pistol grips.

MontereyJack wrote:
certainly people who want gun control don't think it's about pistol grips.

Yes, but those people are delusional. In reality, a law against pistol grips is about pistol grips.

These delusional gun controllers are pretty useful in derailing the gun control movement. Every time they hijack the gun control agenda and make everything about pistol grips, that ensures that nothing at all will be passed.

Of course, the NRA is strong enough to defeat them regardless. But having the gun control movement self sabotage and self destruct is always a welcome development when it happens.

MontereyJack wrote:
That's why there are laws restricting weapons, not pistol grips,

Laws against pistol grips are about pistol grips.

MontereyJack wrote:
weapons that don't even have pistol grips.

Outlawing other harmless cosmetic features is equally a violation of people's civil liberties.

MontereyJack wrote:
You're full of it..

No I'm not. Laws against pistol grips are about pistol grips.

MontereyJack wrote:
this past winter, if I remember correctly, PA, some multiple gun owner got into an altercation with his neighbors, who were digging their car out after a snowfall.-claiming some of the snow dug out was in his driveway. He went back into his house, returned with a pistol, and shot both of his neighbors. As they lay wounded, he went back into his house, came back with an AR-15, and killed both of the neighbors. It's clearly not self-defense, but murder.

They would be just as dead if he had beaten them to death with a baseball bat.

MontereyJack wrote:
So even in the NRA's bogus reinterpretation of the 2nd Amendment,

There is nothing bogus about pointing out that the Constitution means what it says.

Pointing out that the Constitution means what it says is the exact opposite of reinterpretation.

MontereyJack wrote:
he had no justification whatsoever, but he still according to you had the civil liberty to buy a gun. If you have it, you can use it. He did, and he murdered two innocent people exercising his "civil liberty".

They would be just as dead if he had killed them with an axe.

MontereyJack wrote:
That's the fundamental problem with your interpretation. It leads to murders, and that's not a civilized, sane society.

No it doesn't. Statistics are quite clear that gun availability has little impact on homicide rates.

Sure, if a gun is available to a murderer, he will use the gun. But if that murderer has no access to a gun, he'll just commit his murders with some other weapon.

The murders happen with or without the gun. The gun makes no difference to the outcome.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2021 10:46 pm
@oralloy,
good on ya for going with the science rather than the hysterics. You're ta;lking in the singulkar,,,is MI doing j&j? I gpot Phiser, no choice, and no side efeects, apart from a little soreness from the shot. My sister and niece both got moderna, also no choice, and both had flu-lole side effects the day or two after.. your opinons are wack, but don't die on us.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2021 10:51 pm
@oralloy,
read the laws. they are explicitly about weapons, not grips. no matter how often you claim that, it's contrafactyual.. and you still don't use appeal to the crowd correctly.More in ther nature of pointing out how, after five years or so, no one else has ever tkane your point to heart as anything other than totally looopy.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2021 10:54 pm
@oralloy,
You may have noticed that everyi democratic candidate came out in favor of gun control, andthe winning candidate is now a democratic president and he was elected in spite of everything the nra threw up on him about. Ain't gonna be as you want it to be.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2021 10:58 pm
@oralloy,
I repeat my example of the driveway snow murders in PA (Probably PA)> If the murderer had no guns, it would have been a snowbaALL FIGHT, AND FATALITIES ARE PRETTY LOW IN THOSE.nOT TO MENTION STEPHEN PADDOCK, DYLAN ROOF, AND NICK CRUZ.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2021 11:02 pm
@oralloy,
THE POINT IS, PEOPLE DON'T USE BASEBALL BATS OR SNOWBALLS OR WHATEVER WITH ANYWHERE NEAR THE FREWUENCY THEY USE GUNS, WHICH ARE OMNIPRESENT, RELATIVELY SIMPLE, AND AS EASY TO POINT AND SHOOT AS A SIMPLE KODAK CAMERA. **** hp and its capslock.
oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2021 11:37 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
You're talking in the singular, is MI doing j&j?

The Johnson and Johnson vaccine is available in Michigan.

I don't know what will be available at my appointment, and am still not sure what I will choose if I am given a choice.

MontereyJack wrote:
read the laws. they are explicitly about weapons, not grips.

That is incorrect. Laws against pistol grips are about pistol grips.

MontereyJack wrote:
no matter how often you claim that, it's contrafactual..

No it isn't. Laws against pistol grips are about pistol grips.

MontereyJack wrote:
and you still don't use appeal to the crowd correctly.

Sure I do. It's when someone tries to use the number of people who disagree with me as "evidence" that I am wrong.

In reality, if I am right and a billion people disagree with me, those billion people are wrong.

MontereyJack wrote:
More in the nature of pointing out how, after five years or so, no one else has ever taken your point to heart as anything other than totally looopy.

The fact that all those people are wrong reflects poorly on them, not on me.

MontereyJack wrote:
You may have noticed that every democratic candidate came out in favor of gun control, and the winning candidate is now a democratic president and he was elected in spite of everything the nra threw up on him about. Ain't gonna be as you want it to be.

The Democrats don't have much chance of getting gun control passed without the support of moderates like me.

And I'm not going to support any new gun control until progressives pay heavy compensation to their victims.

MontereyJack wrote:
I repeat my example of the driveway snow murders in PA (Probably PA). If the murderer had no guns, it would have been a snowball fight, and fatalities are pretty low in those.

If the murderer had had no guns, he would have hacked his victims apart with an axe and they would still be dead.

MontereyJack wrote:
Not to mention stephen paddock,

Full auto weapons were banned in 1986. People are only allowed to own a full auto weapon if it was registered before that date, and the few that were registered are now expensive and out of reach to normal buyers.

MontereyJack wrote:
dylan roof, and nick cruz.

Their victims would be just as dead if they had beaten them to death with a baseball bat.

MontereyJack wrote:
The point is, people don't use baseball bats or snowballs or whatever with anywhere near the frequency they use guns, which are omnipresent, relatively simple, and as easy to point and shoot as a simple kodak camera.

They would use other weapons if they didn't have guns, and their victims would still be just as dead.

MontereyJack wrote:
**** hp and its capslock.

If you like, I can look up that NPR piece about the company that bought out the rights and manufacturing equipment for the original IMB keyboards when IBM left the PC business.

I'm in love with my keyboard.
oralloy

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 08:48 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
If you like, I can look up that NPR piece about the company that bought out the rights and manufacturing equipment for the original IBM keyboards when IBM left the PC business.

I'm in love with my keyboard.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100076874

My internet is scheduled to be out of service for the next seven hours. They need to upgrade their equipment or something. So I'll see everyone tomorrow.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 11:53 pm
@oralloy,
Take your time, no hurry.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2021 09:12 pm
@oralloy,
So tell me what civil liberties the guy who killed six Asian masseuses in three spas in georgia was upholding when he killed them because he is a sex addict and wanted to avoid being tempted by them. yes, he could have killed them by forcing them to drink poison body lotion, I suppose, but he didn't. he used a GUN> No guns, no death. simple.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2021 09:13 pm
@oralloy,
tnx. i'm in hate with my capslock key.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2021 10:28 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
So tell me what civil liberties the guy who killed six Asian masseuses in three spas in georgia was upholding when he killed them because he is a sex addict and wanted to avoid being tempted by them.

He wasn't upholding any civil liberties.

MontereyJack wrote:
yes, he could have killed them by forcing them to drink poison body lotion, I suppose, but he didn't. he used a GUN.

They'd be just as dead if he had murdered them some other way.

MontereyJack wrote:
No guns, no death. simple.

Simple maybe, but also wrong.

Gun availability has little impact on homicide rates.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2021 10:57 pm
@oralloy,
Precisely the point. He had the gun (prsumably legal, but the point is the same either way)because you maintain it is a civil liberty to have it, and then used it as it wass intended to be used, and murdered a bunch of people with his civil liberties gun. That is the bassic problem, which you refuse to address.,It's murder by civi;l libertyh, and that's unacceptable in america.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2021 11:00 pm
@oralloy,
most people don't have an ax, or the impets to use one, no matter how pissed off they are. that is not the situation with guns. and that wuestion of homicide rates is surely bogus statistics. as witness the fact that year adter year mokre ople are killed iwth guns than knives or being delibersately run over by cars, or any other means of murder.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 12:24 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Precisely the point. He had the gun (presumably legal, but the point is the same either way) because you maintain it is a civil liberty to have it, and then used it as it was intended to be used, and murdered a bunch of people with his civil liberties gun. That is the basic problem, which you refuse to address.

In thousands of years of human history no one has ever found a way to prevent people from committing murder. I think you're expecting a bit much of me here.

MontereyJack wrote:
It's murder by civil liberty, and that's unacceptable in america.

We do try to deter murderers by having a credible threat of harsh punishment. That's about all we can do to stop murder from happening.

MontereyJack wrote:
most people don't have an ax, or the impetus to use one, no matter how pissed off they are. that is not the situation with guns.

If they are angry enough to murder with a gun, then they are angry enough to murder with any weapon.

MontereyJack wrote:
and that question of homicide rates is surely bogus statistics.

The statistics are quite sound. There is little correlation between gun availability and homicide rates.

MontereyJack wrote:
as witness the fact that year after year more people are killed with guns than knives or being deliberately run over by cars, or any other means of murder.

In places where guns are not easily available, murderers just use other weapons.

Murderers will even kill with their own bare hands if they cannot get any weapon at all. Although the odds are that murderers will always be able to get their hands on at least a knife.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 12:32 am
@oralloy,
doesn't hold water wijth all those other means, they stilol kill 12000 or so everyi year witrh guns..
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 01:09 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
doesn't hold water

Facts don't lie. Guns don't cause murder.

MontereyJack wrote:
with all those other means, they still kill 12000 or so every year with guns..

The victims would be just as dead if they were killed with some other weapon.

MontereyJack wrote:
I got Phiser, no choice, and no side effects, apart from a little soreness from the shot. My sister and niece both got moderna, also no choice, and both had flu-like side effects the day or two after..

I may end up with Pfizer (no choice).

The place where I signed up to get my shot is just starting to hold clinics. This Thursday (meaning today) will be their very first clinic. But my age group is not open to receive the vaccine until Monday, so I wasn't eligible to sign up for today's clinic.

Next Thursday (a week from today) will be their second clinic, and the first clinic to be held after I become eligible for the shot. I got an appointment just before noon.

Michigan has a vaccine tracker so you can see how many shots various providers received and when they received them, and this clinic just got a big shipment of Pfizer a couple days ago.

Presumably most of these Pfizer shots will be used in today's clinic. But if they are set up to receive and handle the Pfizer shot, I'm betting that Pfizer is what they'll keep receiving.

Mild side effects are a good thing actually. Mild side effects mean that your body is building up antibodies. If you feel mild side effects then you know the vaccine has succeeded in protecting you.
oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2021 06:19 pm
@oralloy,
The clinic just got another big shipment of Pfizer on Saturday, so it looks like that's what I'll be getting this Thursday.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2021 08:31 pm
@oralloy,
good lick. glad you're going with the science. Wear something loose so they get to yourshoulder easily, higher than a usual shot (I got mine at fenway park, and the sox trained their junior employees to give the shots and run the tables and take car of the patients, good way to keep them them on the payroll during the pandemic. I'm assuming the kid knew what he was doing when he jabbed me, didn't really have what I coiuld be sure were side effects, so I'm assuming they took effect, since I
d heard the same thing about mild sie effects indicating immunity was building up you heard.)
0 Replies