Guns: how much longer will it take ....

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 05:43 am
@farmerman,
There is a world of difference, though, FM, between artistic expression and a claim that a four-year-old would understand and be distraught to tears at the implications of the Sullivan Act. I consider such remarks to be a strong basis upon which to infer either prevarication or senility.
oralloy

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 06:16 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
At what point does a person keeping and bearing arms become a liability and the state have a compelling interest to limit access to firearms?

What I get from gun types is that it is somewhere before a nuclear warhead, but not much more clear than that. Care to take a shot at it?

Does the constitution grant you the right to say have several RPGs?

T
K
O

If the government dropped the cosmetic "pistol grip ban" type nonsense from assault weapons legislation, and focussed solely on magazine capacity (and maybe also on how easy it was to convert a given gun to full auto), they would have a good shot at getting the courts to recognize a compelling interest in restricting it.

The "ease of converting to full auto" thing might be tricky to put into law though, because a competent gun designer could probably convert *any* gun to full auto if he modified it enough.

I don't see much compelling interest in banning armor-piercing rifle ammo. Ordinary rifle ammo blows through Kevlar anyway, and most police don't wear heavy plates. And people have the right to defend against criminals who wear armor.

Armor piercing pistol ammo would probably be OK to ban so long as the ban did not "accidentally" cover rifle ammo (as is the case with the current ban on AP handgun ammo).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 06:28 am
How frequently would you say a situation occurs in which a private citizen needs to defend him- or herself from a criminal wearing body armor so heavy that the intended victim needs armor-piercing ammunition to accomplish said defense? Enough to trump the state's valid interest in protecting police officers? (Personally, i would doubt that.)
farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 06:30 am
@Setanta,
I will have to yield on that point. Ive never really doubted Dave's pronouncements re: his maturation experiences. I recall a story about how he claimed to have "lost his virginity at a very young age " several years ago and was amazed at how young he claimed he was at that event. As I recall, I was only interested in little league and my pet crow at the same age.

I was , of course,jealous.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 06:35 am
Yeah, FM, he claimed to be eleven years of age. Initially, years ago, he claimed to have been happily seduced by a woman in her thirties. Then he claimed it was a 17 year old girl. Challenged on that, he said both incidents occurred. Recently, he has expanded the fairy tale, claiming he was seduced by the 17 year old on a cross-country bus trip.
farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 06:37 am
@Setanta,
Are you implying that Dave is making this up?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 06:41 am
Well . . . i'll come right out and say it. I think in the case of statements he makes about his precocious experiences, he is lying.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 06:51 am
@parados,
Quote:
I therefore picture him as rather shallow, self absorbed, and unadventurous.
I agree about being self-absorbed
most of the time, tho not all the time; for over 20 years
I was obsessed with a chick, so kinda absorbed in her.
Unadventurous: yeah, I 'm too old n broken down for adventures.
I don 't want adventures, just good times.
I m not entirely sure about what is meant qua shallow, lacking depth.

parados wrote:
I think David is a sociopath.
"noun Psychiatry. a person, as a psychopathic personality,
whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of
moral responsibility or social conscience." from on-line dictionary.
WHAT "behavior"??
What have I been accused of having DONE ??

In my own defense,
I can point out my efforts to tear down gun control
as an example of good moral responsibility and "social conscience."

To that I add my efforts in multiple fora, inclunding Abuzz
in 2002 to defeat the MF bill, thereby defending freedom of speech
and grossing out liberal deviants as another example of good "social conscience."

parados wrote:
You guys can sit around some day in the future and remark about
how he always seemed so nice and you can't believe he would use
his guns the way he did.
I won't be surprised one bit.
I have no duty to surprize u.
I once surprized a NYC newspaper publisher.
In the manifested expression of my social conscience some years ago,
when a labor union intimidated retail store owners against selling
the NYC newspaper against which it was striking, I sent the publisher
a check for a few hundred $$ as a token to compensate for lost profits,
under the cover of a letter of encouragement and moral support.
(Thay were surprized at that.) Not all weapon$ are guns.

parados wrote:
Guns and a lack of empathy for your fellow human beings does not a good mix make.
That is not adequate reasoning, Parados, in that in the absence of anger or of malice,
nothing will result from gun possession, any more than from rock possession or knife possession.
To a very large extent (tho less than 100%)
candor moves me to admit to lack of empathy with others,
but there have been some exceptions both qua humans n animals.
I have taken vicarious pleasure in & from creating happiness in others
who did not expect it, like dropping handfulls of dimes n quarters
onto the grass from a passing hot air balloon. It can be fun sometimes.

Each of us owes it to himself to have as much fun in life as possible.
That 's what life is for.

David
oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:12 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
How frequently would you say a situation occurs in which a private citizen needs to defend him- or herself from a criminal wearing body armor so heavy that the intended victim needs armor-piercing ammunition to accomplish said defense? Enough to trump the state's valid interest in protecting police officers? (Personally, i would doubt that.)

No idea on the frequency.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
That is not adequate reasoning, Parados, in that in the absence of anger or of malice,
nothing will result from gun possession, any more than from rock possession or knife possession.

Dang.. which was it with that dog that shot his owner? Anger or malice?
0 Replies

genefog2

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 09:58 am
We just need to get rid of the guns. Blame all gun owners for the crimes committed by criminals, round up the guns and form a police state. Ignore the fact that the evil is in the mind, not the hand, then get rid of hammers, bats, knives, anything hard or pointy, including some peoples heads which are hard and pointy. Lets ignore the fact that millions of "laws" dont actually prevent crime and criminals dont obey laws. Oh wait, we did that and got a bunch of people in schools, theatres and restraunts killed!!!! I'll shut up now.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 10:01 am
Guns: how much longer will it take for liberal democrats to
educate themselves about the constitution, guns and gun rights?
0 Replies

MP4LIFE

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 07:07 pm
@dlowan,
Do some research and then talk about sanity.

First stop that I recommend for you, check the statistics of gun involved violence, then check which states have the highest, most places (not states) have 0 gun involved crimes yearly. The places with the majority of gun involved crimes, currently have gun bans stricter than the current legislation.

The majority of mass shootings happen at places where no one can carry legally. Most occur in schools, colleges, movie theaters and shopping malls, which are all places that refuse you access with a firearm legal or illegal. These places mainly have little or no security, and the security usually isn't armed, so they have to wait til cops arrive, which at minimum is usually 5 minutes. A lot of people can be killed in 2 minutes, so why is it that we keep allowing these places to keep disarming people that are on site and can help end a mass murder spree like these?
0 Replies

genefog2

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 08:18 am
@parados,
I'm so sick of the term "gun nut". Do you stupid hicks who call us that not realize that your police department is filled with people who own guns and shoot them on and off duty? Are they gunh nuts? Then why do you call them? Many of us civilians do as much shooting or more than some cops do. Who do you call when your little buts are facing danger, you call a gun nut. The only people who are nuts are the paranoid ones who are afraid of an innanimate object and think they are safe behind a piece of paper that says NO GUNS ALLOWED. Yeah, those signs have sure deterred alot of criminals. Thats why schools are so safe. Idiots.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 08:51 am
@genefog2,
"Gun nut" is a valid term of those phalically preoccupied wherein their guns become a substitute.
Police have been some of the most vocal supporters of gun control because they understand and see the damage that guns inflict.
I own several guns and do NOT, as several of the posters on A@K show us , live my life surrounding gun ownership and acquisitioning. A recent study has shown that actual owners of guns are declining in te UIS but gun ownesrhip is increasing. SO, we seem to have a condition where fewer gun owners are owning MORE guns.
Interesting.

I have guns that I use for hunting, plinking, and protection. I carry at times when Im in areas where I think I need protection (like Mingo West Virginia SW Florida, and HEnderson Nevada or deep woods anywhere). Yet I think the need for better gun control must overshadow these "Gun nut" views of the 2nd amendments "permission"

If gun nuts would join in to try to help reduce the gun violence, then they would be serving a purpose. AS it is, gun nuts are part of the damn problem,
Youre a lot like the bikers who used to get in the way of helmet laws and then bitch when they had to pay fr some dudes brain care after he sm,ashed his bike up while helmetless.

WHATS really funny now is that the gun nutz, whove gotten themselves all panicky, have basically bought up the WORLDS 10 year capacity supply of all sizes of AMMO.

Then, theyve come up with this story that Obama is the one doing it because the Fed Govt has bought a BILLION rounds of ammo (Why are the Feds buying .22 ammo?).
Almost any day here on A2K I can find some wacky posts or reasoning by Om Sig DAVID, H2O boy, Gungasnake , and a coupla others where they are playing chicken little with guns.

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 08:53 am
@genefog2,
Quote:

I'm so sick of the term "gun nut". Do you stupid hicks who call us that

You have such an intelligence about you when you talk like that.

NOT
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 09:27 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
"Gun nut" is a valid term of those phalically preoccupied wherein their guns become a substitute.

The term "gun nut" is name-calling that the Freedom Haters use to express their hate.

Suggesting that guns are a phallic substitute is another way the Freedom Haters express their hate.

Really it's no different from a racist using the N-word and spewing untrue claims about African Americans.
farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 11:49 am
@oralloy,
"GUN NUT" is a term that the child killers hate to have used because it focuses on their pathological obsession.
mysteryman

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 04:22 pm
@farmerman,
"child killers"?

Are you suggesting that anyone that owns a gun is now a child killer, or has the potential to become one?
That's highly inflammatory, don't you think?
RABEL222

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 07:26 pm
@mysteryman,
Are you saying that the 20 children and teachers that were killed were killed with a bow and arrow, or a knife? They were killed with a gun so yes a gun owner is a potential child killer.