Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 09:51 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
the features found on assault weapons do make them especially dangerous

That is incorrect. Pistol grips do not make a semi-auto gun any more dangerous than it already is.

And such guns are not assault weapons. The term "assault weapon" refers to something entirely different: a type of gun that has been heavily restricted for more than 85 years now.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 11:55 pm
@McGentrix,
it still is about guns. it's also about the dumb arguments gun "rights" activists use to defend them
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 12:04 am
@oralloy,
Not my fault that racism in fact underlaid a lot of the criticism of Obama and not all that far down.
And I presented video evidence of actual test firings of semi auto weapons including ar15 which matched that rate of fire. Inc;udomg pf cpirse the re; wpr;d exa,mple of the daytpn shooter who killed or wounded 36 people in the actual mere 30 seconds before the cops brought him down. I know you have a hard time accepting facts that don't bear out your fantasies, but those are the facts.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 12:10 am
@oralloy,
And Obama never said anything about pistol grips. He proposed assault style weapons bans and expanded background checks. 90% of the country liked his prokposal,s. Including 60% plus of NRAmembers. The nra brass wre opposed to the voices of the country and their own membership. A lot of their lackies lost their offices in 2018. In Reuters polls this week, Biden beat Trump 46-40, a statistically significant gap. He'll take the NRA to task when he wins. The changes the country desires are in the wind/.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 12:14 am
@oralloy,
The features found on assault weapons do make them especially dangerous.

Wrong. Such guns are assault weapons, and their production as such was banned for ten years in 1994.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 12:15 am
@oralloy,
What is clear is that semi auto fire and detachable magazines make ar 15s and similar especially deadly. yose features on other weapons not modeled in imitation of military weapons'unfit for civilian society, as the courts have let stand as constitutional to ban
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 12:31 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
it still is about guns. it's also about the dumb arguments gun "rights" activists use to defend them

"That it is wrong of progressives to violate people's civil liberties for fun" is hardly a dumb argument.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 12:32 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Not my fault that racism in fact underlaid a lot of the criticism of Obama and not all that far down.

As I said, progressives sure look goofy when they falsely accuse everyone of racism.

MontereyJack wrote:
And I presented video evidence of actual test firings of semi auto weapons including ar15 which matched that rate of fire.

I've seen no presentation showing that semi-auto rifles with five round magazines can fire at the rate that you claim.

MontereyJack wrote:
Including of course the re; world example of the dayton shooter who killed or wounded 36 people in the actual mere 30 seconds before the cops brought him down.

He was not using five round magazines.

MontereyJack wrote:
I know you have a hard time accepting facts that don't bear out your fantasies,

You cannot provide any examples of me ever having had a hard time accepting facts.

MontereyJack wrote:
but those are the facts.

The Dayton shooter was not using five round magazines.
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 12:33 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
And Obama never said anything about pistol grips.

Mr. Obama spent the entire first hundred days of his second term trying to outlaw pistol grips on semi-auto rifles.

MontereyJack wrote:
He proposed assault style weapons bans

What you are wrongly referring to as an assault style weapon is just an ordinary hunting rifle with a pistol grip on it.

MontereyJack wrote:
In Reuters polls this week, Biden beat Trump 46-40, a statistically significant gap. He'll take the NRA to task when he wins. The changes the country desires are in the wind.

In the unlikely event that Mr. Biden wins, the NRA will prevent him from outlawing pistol grips on semi-auto rifles.

And after he has wasted all of his political capital on pistol grips, he won't be able to achieve anything else either.

He'll be another do-nothing president, just like Mr. Obama was after 2013. And the voters will respond to a do-nothing presidency by making a change in the next presidential election, just like they did in 2016.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 12:34 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
The features found on assault weapons do make them especially dangerous.

Pistol grips do not make a semi-auto gun any more dangerous than it already is.

And such guns are not assault weapons. The term "assault weapon" refers to something entirely different: a type of gun that has been heavily restricted for more than 85 years now.

InfraBlue wrote:
Wrong. Such guns are assault weapons,

The term "assault weapon" refers to something entirely different: a type of gun that has been heavily restricted for more than 85 years now.

InfraBlue wrote:
and their production as such was banned for ten years in 1994.

Progressives will have to pay heavy compensation to their victims before I will ever support any new gun laws.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 12:42 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
What is clear is that semi auto fire and detachable magazines make ar 15s and similar especially deadly.

With five round magazines, such guns are no more dangerous than a typical hunting rifle.

MontereyJack wrote:
yose features on other weapons not modeled in imitation of military weapons'unfit for civilian society,

Ordinary hunting rifles are perfectly fit for civilian society.

MontereyJack wrote:
as the courts have let stand as constitutional to ban

That progressives have gotten away with violating people's civil liberties for fun in the past does not in any way make it OK to violate people's civil liberties for fun.

Progressives will have to pay heavy compensation to their victims before I will support any new gun laws.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 03:27 am
@oralloy,
Yes, five round magazines do in fact make ar15s very deadly because a magazinee
change only takes around two seconds so you can easily carry many and continue firing well beyond any practical necessity unless your aim is slaughter. consider a typircakand of course there are probably millions of larger capacity magazines already in people's hands, so your argument is meaningless. since what you consider a typical hunting rifle is capable of the same thing it is equally too deadly.
Since the courts are constitutionally mandated to decide what is constiktutional and you are not and since they let assault style weapons bans stand, they are constitutional no matter how much you whine about them.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 03:39 am
@oralloy,
basically no one cares whether you su[pport new gun laws or not. Your veto carries no weight beyond your own mind and is irrelevant in determining what happens. the parkland survivors have demonstrated more clout in the debate than you have, and they've been instrumental in making the view of the nra as depraved coummon currency. Gun activists owe any compsensation to be paid to be paid to the survivors and dependents of victims of gun violence. That's the only compensation due.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 03:41 am
@oralloy,
racists never think they themselves are racist. doesn't alter the fact they are.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 03:43 am
@oralloy,
kthe size of the magazine the Dayton shokoter used is irrelkevant. the point is you can achieve similar effects with small magazines, so the weapon itself is the problem.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 03:45 am
@oralloy,
the video is there. I've posted it at least twice. because you bury your head in the sand does not change the reality
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 04:23 am
@MontereyJack,
I'm not seeing any posts of any videos showing that rifles with five round magazines can be fired at the rates that you claim.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 04:24 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Yes, five round magazines do in fact make ar15s very deadly because a magazine change only takes around two seconds so you can easily carry many and continue firing well beyond any practical necessity unless your aim is slaughter.

I doubt that it would be easy to fire rapidly while changing magazines every five rounds.

MontereyJack wrote:
and of course there are probably millions of larger capacity magazines already in people's hands, so your argument is meaningless.

The fact that a semi-auto rifle with five round magazines is no deadlier than a common hunting rifle is far from meaningless.

It means that there is no compelling government interest in outlawing semi-auto rifles with five round magazines.

MontereyJack wrote:
since what you consider a typical hunting rifle is capable of the same thing it is equally too deadly.

That is incorrect. Ordinary hunting rifles are not a public danger.

MontereyJack wrote:
Since the courts are constitutionally mandated to decide what is constitutional and you are not and since they let assault style weapons bans stand, they are constitutional no matter how much you whine about them.

As previously noted, the fact that you've gotten away with violating people's civil liberties before does not mean that it is OK for you to violate people's civil liberties. It just means that you are guilty of committing a horrible crime. You will have to pay massive compensation to your victims before you will get my support for any new gun laws.

As far as whining goes, the only whining so far is coming from these folks:

https://images2.imgbox.com/e0/42/4oZ8Jstr_o.jpg
https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/966078572321562625

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/2018/02/20/USATODAY/USATODAY/636547353091154050-04.JPG
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 04:25 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
racists never think they themselves are racist. doesn't alter the fact they are.

Like I said, progressives look pretty goofy falsely accusing everyone of racism.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 04:26 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
the size of the magazine the Dayton shooter used is irrelevant. the point is you can achieve similar effects with small magazines, so the weapon itself is the problem.

I seriously doubt that someone could fire at a high rate of speed while changing magazines every five rounds.
0 Replies