Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 01:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
It is unclear to me what your point is.

I'd thought such.

Well, check back in if you ever an actual point to make.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 01:38 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
I'm saying that pistol grips help increase rate of fire

How could the presence of a pistol grip possibly change a weapon's rate of fire?

By enabling the quicker functioning of the trigger.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
and shooting accuracy.

Why then are our military snipers so often equipped with weapons that have neither a pistol grip nor a collapsible stock?

While the M1 did see use as a sniping weapon, by and large it was the standard issue battlefield rifle in the US military for combat.
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 01:46 pm
@InfraBlue,
How does a pistol grip allow a trigger to function quicker?

When did they stop using full-auto/burst-fire firing mechanisms and replace them with faster triggers?

If pistol grips increase shooting accuracy, why are we equipping our military snipers with less accurate weapons?
Glennn

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 05:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
I'm saying that pistol grips help increase rate of fire and shooting accuracy.

And I'm saying that you've repeatedly failed to prove what you are claiming. Repeating an unproven claim doesn't change the fact that it is unproven.
Quote:
You have an AR-15 fixation.

Hmm, let's see what you've said:
Quote:
That a weapon favored by mass shooters is based on an efficient battlefield killing instrument is not irrelevant trivia.

That's what you said. Forgetting for the moment that your obsession with the AR-15 caused you to make **** up about it, now you want to shift that obsession onto me. Sorry, but the way it works is that if you try to vilify a gun by making up lies about it, then that's the gun I'm going to talk to you about.
Quote:
Your definition of "mass shooter" is suspect.

Really? Explain.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:04 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

How does a pistol grip allow a trigger to function quicker?

It allows the triggerman to pull the trigger quicker.

oralloy wrote:
When did they stop using full-auto/burst-fire firing mechanisms and replace them with faster triggers?

I don't know. Since you're the one making the straw man assertion, you tell me.

oralloy wrote:
If pistol grips increase shooting accuracy, why are we equipping our military snipers with less accurate weapons?

All the latest ones I've seen do have pistol grips.
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

How does it do that?

InfraBlue wrote:

No such straw man. Since you are claiming that the military is using "quicker trigger pulls" to increase their rate of fire, that suggests that they are no longer relying on full-auto/burst-fire mechanisms for their rapid fire.

Unless I'm misunderstanding part of your argument of course. Are you contending that quicker trigger pulls are the way to faster fire on a gun that's firing rate is governed by its full-auto/burst-fire mechanism? If so, please clarify your position as to how you think this actually works.

InfraBlue wrote:

I just linked to a number of current sniper rifles that have neither pistol grips nor collapsible stocks.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:32 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
I'm saying that pistol grips help increase rate of fire and shooting accuracy.

And I'm saying that you've repeatedly failed to prove what you are claiming. Repeating an unproven claim doesn't change the fact that it is unproven.

No. You presented a straw man argument, as is your wont, and I reiterated my argument.

Quote:
You have an AR-15 fixation.

Hmm, let's see what you've said:
Quote:
That a weapon favored by mass shooters is based on an efficient battlefield killing instrument is not irrelevant trivia.

That's what you said.[/quote]

Right, that's what I wrote. I was referring to these weapons in general, not the AR-15 specifically.

Glenn wrote:
Forgetting for the moment that your obsession with the AR-15 caused you to make **** up about it, now you want to shift that obsession onto me. Sorry, but the way it works is that if you try to vilify a gun by making up lies about it, then that's the gun I'm going to talk to you about.

You can't stop talking about the AR-15, and I'm the one with the obsession?

Projection much?

Quote:
Your definition of "mass shooter" is suspect.

Really? Explain.[/quote]

Conservative leaning statisticians include counts of mass shootings between involved gun owners, and counts of mass shootings of specific, intentional, innocent targets along with counts of mass shootings of random, unarmed, uninvolved innocent people.

My argument is centered around the latter group.
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:37 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
No. You presented a straw man argument, as is your wont, and I reiterated my argument.

He is merely asking you to justify your claims. That's not a straw man argument.

InfraBlue wrote:
Conservative leaning statisticians include counts of mass shootings between involved gun owners, and counts of mass shootings of specific, intentional, innocent targets along with counts of mass shootings of random, unarmed, uninvolved innocent people.

My argument is centered around the latter group.

Do you have any stats that are centered around this later group?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:54 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

How does it do that?

By allowing for a more ergonomic grasp of the grip.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

No such straw man. Since you are claiming that the military is using "quicker trigger pulls" to increase their rate of fire, that suggests that they are no longer relying on full-auto/burst-fire mechanisms for their rapid fire.

Unless I'm misunderstanding part of your argument of course. Are you contending that quicker trigger pulls are the way to faster fire on a gun that's firing rate is governed by its full-auto/burst-fire mechanism? If so, please clarify your position as to how you think this actually works.

Yes, you're misunderstanding my argument. I'm making comparisons between straight grip stocks and rifle grips, not select fire weapons.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

I just linked to a number of current sniper rifles that have neither pistol grips nor collapsible stocks.

There are many sniper rifles with pistol grips, as well.
Glennn

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:54 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
No. You presented a straw man argument

No. You made the unsubstantiated claim that a pistol grip increases the rate of fire on a semiautomatic rifle. Asking you to provide proof of that claim is not a strawman argument. What you're doing is stalling. Now where's that proof?
Quote:
I was referring to these weapons in general, not the AR-15 specifically.

Sure, let's pretend that all the focus as of late is not on the AR-15. You're still in the same predicament. Semiautomatic rifles with pistol grips are NOT the favored weapon of mass shooters as you hopefully USED TO think. And this false idea of yours is based on the ridiculous notion that pistol grips increase the rate of fire on semiautomatic rifles, thereby gaining favor among mass shooters. As I've said before, you have nothing to support that claim, or you would have surely produced it by now in order to avoid looking like a fool for stating such nonsense.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2019 10:19 am
Quote:
NRA Was 'Foreign Asset' To Russia Ahead of 2016,
New Senate Report Reveals

The National Rifle Association acted as a "foreign asset" for Russia in the period leading up to
the 2016 election, according to a new investigation unveiled Friday by Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore.

Drawing on contemporaneous emails and private interviews, an 18-month probe by the Senate
Finance Committee's Democratic staff found that the NRA underwrote political access for
Russian nationals Maria Butina and Alexander Torshin more than previously known — even
though the two had declared their ties to the Kremlin.

The report, available here, also describes how closely the gun rights group was involved with
organizing a 2015 visit by some of its leaders to Moscow.

Then-NRA vice president Pete Brownell, who would later become NRA president, was enticed
to visit Russia with the promise of personal business opportunities — and the NRA covered a
portion of the trip's costs.

The conclusions of the Senate investigation could have legal implications for the NRA, Wyden
says.

Tax-exempt organizations are barred from using funds for the personal benefit of its officials
or for actions significantly outside their stated missions. The revelations in the Senate report
raise questions about whether the NRA could face civil penalties or lose its tax-exempt status.

Attorneys general in the state of New York and the District of Columbia are conducting
separate probes into alleged wrongdoing at the gun rights organization. These probes have a
broader scope than the Senate report, which focuses on Russia.
(npr)
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2019 12:10 pm
@Region Philbis,
got that oralloy? lock the nra traitors up. outlaw the organization.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2019 03:31 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
By allowing for a more ergonomic grasp of the grip.

Is there any evidence that the grip is really more ergonomic?

And, is there any evidence that a more ergonomic grip allows the trigger to be pulled faster?

InfraBlue wrote:
Yes, you're misunderstanding my argument. I'm making comparisons between straight grip stocks and rifle grips, not select fire weapons.

The military uses select fire on their basic service rifles. I thought your argument was that the military adopted pistol grips and collapsible stocks in order to increase the rate of fire on their weapons.

InfraBlue wrote:
There are many sniper rifles with pistol grips, as well.

The military still uses a number of sniper rifles without pistol grips and without a collapsible stock.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M25_Sniper_Weapon_System

Why would they keep using these guns if a pistol grip and collapsible stock make a gun more accurate?

And in the case of the rifle that I linked above, it is even semi-auto-only, which is exactly the circumstance where a supposed improvement in trigger pulling speed would be beneficial.

Wow. Only a single message on a2k for me to reply to today. Very Happy More World of Warcraft time! I'm off to Azeroth.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 10:12 am
Quote:
MGM Agrees to Pay Las Vegas Shooting Victims Up to $800 Million

The settlement would resolve claims that MGM was negligent in allowing the killer to stockpile weapons
and ammunition at its Mandalay Bay hotel.

MGM Resorts International has agreed to pay up to $800 million to settle lawsuits from victims of the
October 2017 mass shooting in Las Vegas that left 58 people dead and hundreds of others injured.

The killer, Stephen Paddock, holed up inside his room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel,
which MGM owns, and then fired into the crowd at a country music festival below. It was the deadliest
mass shooting in modern American history.

One of the lawyers for the victims, Robert Eglet, said on Thursday the settlement would be in the
range of $735 million to $800 million and would resolve “substantially all” of the lawsuits and claims
against MGM related to the massacre.
(nyt)
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 10:24 am
Women with gun prevents herself from getting raped and killed, self-defense is a right.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/14/real-estate-agent-commerce-city-assault-knife-bear-mace-gun/

Quote:
A real estate agent who was attacked by a man posing as a customer fired a shot at him after he threatened her with a knife and sprayed her with bear mace, according to Commerce City police.

Ernest Robert Chrisman, 43, is charged with two counts of first-degree burglary, attempted aggravated robbery, attempted second-degree kidnapping, menacing and violation of bail bond conditions — all felonies. He also faces a misdemeanor third-degree assault charge and a sentence enhancer of crime of violence, according to an Adams County District Attorney’s Office news release.

The real estate agent told police she was preparing for an open house at a condominium in the Aspen Hills Condominiums in the 14700 block of East 104th Avenue when a man walked in and asked to see the home, Detective Cody Nau wrote in an arrest affidavit. The real estate agent had seen a man knocking to enter the unit next door minutes earlier.

A neighbor’s doorbell camera caught the man entering the residence on video. Chrisman allegedly talked to the real estate agent about the condo and then asked to see the second floor. He told the real estate agent he was a Marine, according to the affidavit.

Chrisman then pulled a knife from his waistband, followed by bear mace, tied to a six-inch piece of rope attached to his belt. Each time he pulled an item from his pants, he would announce what it was to the agent, the document stated. He demanded the woman take her ring off and get in the closet when they were in the master bedroom, according to the affidavit. Her ring is estimated to cost $8,000.

Fearing for her life and saying she was in “disbelief,” the woman drew a handgun from her ankle holster and pointed it at the man who then sprayed her with the bear mace, the documents stated. The real estate agent fired a round at the suspect, who police do not believe was struck, and he fled the residence.
The woman was treated for minor injuries and the suspect had a minor cut, according to the affidavit. The incident also left about $100 in property damage.

The bullet was found in the unit to the south of the condominium she was showing, and police found a Glock 43 9 mm handgun with dried blood at the top side and base of the grip on the kitchen counter when they responded to the scene, according to the affidavit. Detectives also found orange residue on the wall in the master bedroom, consistent with bear repellent. They also found a knife on the bed.
CBI records matched fingerprints found on a brochure for the condo with Chrisman’s and he was found to have two active warrants for failures to appear in court, according to the affidavit. The real estate agent identified Chrisman in a lineup.

Chrisman is being held in the Adams County jail. He is scheduled for a preliminary hearing at 9 a.m., Sept. 4.

Another use of a gun in self defense, for those of you who think no one ever protects themselves with a gun. 500,000 to 2.5 million uses per year, much higher than the murder rate with guns.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 01:28 pm
283 mass shootings so far this year. One self defense action. Seems ok to me.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 01:30 pm
@RABEL222,
Gangland shootings don't count as mass shootings. Try again with some info that isn't bias as hell. There have only been a few mass shootings this year, maybe 6 at most.
Glennn

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 03:19 pm
@Baldimo,
You make a good point. Here is a list of the mass shootings so far this year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2019

I counted 147 of them in which no one was killed; 84 of them in which 1 was killed; 41 in which 2 were killed; and 17 in which 3 were killed.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 03:32 pm
@Glennn,
The numbers get really twisted around when they try to claim how many "school" shootings there were. They count anything on or near a school as a school shooting. Drug deal at 2 am on school grounds, they consider that a school shooting.

Baldimo

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 03:46 pm
Your links aren't hitting anything, 404, page not found. You can look at pretty much the same list in the wikipedia link shared in the other post.
0 Replies