Guns: how much longer will it take ....

glitterbag

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 10:36 pm
@Glennn,
Ok, I will take that as a 'you don't know, and you want me to research it for you'...I can get the stats but before I do that, I will tell you that the shootings are happening so often, I get confused.....I have a hard time even remembering about the massacre June 2018 that killed 5 journalists at the local Annapolis Newspaper (less than a quarter mile from my house, and locked down our neighborhood for about 6 hours)..Fortunately the shooter is claiming insanity because he didn't like the newspaper so he didn't kill students, just the parents of students......

And I'll try one more time, can you be more specific??? If you can't, it's alright because I have access to libraries, newspapers, google and the like....but if you need me to research for you, you will have to wait a day or so because I won't shoot from the hip about stats...
glitterbag

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 10:51 pm
@glitterbag,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
Why is school/mass shooting a particularly American problem?

How many school shootings in the last twenty years amounted to someone going into a school for the express purpose of shooting as many kids as possible?

I'm confused, did the school shootings occur because an impromptu gun safety tutorial go horribly wrong???
[/quote]

About here in the thread, let me do a James Brown..........Please, please, please...I asked a question because I'm trying to understand your question to another poster.... and not for you to ask me the same question you need to be answered by someone else.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 11:40 pm
@Glennn,
Not so fast there, bucko.Banning high0capacity magazines and somehow getting the thousands already in private hands somehow out of circulationwould help decrease the numbers of people murdered through gun viio;ence and are certainly better than nothing. However a 20 round magazine, or even a 5 round one are perfectly adequate for a mass killing. And of course there are the thoudands of gun murders committed one at a time every year, which have little to do with magazine size. We want to stop ALL gun violence, not just mass shootings. Whatever it takes.
oralloy

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 11:53 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
And of course there are the thousands of gun murders committed one at a time every year, which have little to do with magazine size. We want to stop ALL gun violence, not just mass shootings. Whatever it takes.

We who? The overwhelming majority of the nation opposes a total ban on all guns. You stand alone on that.

Not that it would matter even if you did have a majority backing you. The answer would still be "No gun laws for you!" even if you had a majority.

But let's be clear here. You don't have a majority. The entire nation stands against you when it comes to a total ban on all guns.

But why does it matter so much to you whether someone is killed with a gun instead of with a knife anyway? The victim is just as dead either way.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 12:48 am
@oralloy,
The clear majority of Americans also wants an end to gun violence. And the number and intensity of that demand just grows strojger with each Sandy Hook or El Paso.

And someone would be just as dead if they died from smallpox as if they died from a gunshot. But we did something about smallpox and now no one dies from it. But year ad=fter year people die grom gunshots, not from bombs or knives or smallpox in any sort of similar numbers. You deal with what is come under the heading of self-defense or 2nd amendment defense, so using avtually killing people, and that is guns. That's the stark reality, so that's what most of the people want remedies for. None of those gun violence murders that as a justification is utter nonsense.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 12:52 am
@oralloy,
The country wants stronger gun control . You're going to see it, whether you like it or not. And SCOTUS wuill back it, per Scalia in Heller.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 03:38 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

This is why snipers don't use M249's in the service.

Snipers don't tend to shoot blindly into crowds. If you want to kill/wound a lot of people it's rate of fire that makes the difference.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 03:41 am
@Glennn,
Like I said, you're the gun nut, you know how these people think.

As you're so confused it's hard to work out what it is you're trying to say. It sounds like you're saying that if the shooter walks into a school wanting to kill a certain number of kids/individuals that's OK.

This complete disregard for human life isn't normal.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 06:00 am
Quote:
A white man who shot and killed an unarmed black man over a parking dispute in the US state of Florida has been found guilty of manslaughter.

Michael Drejka, 49, shot Markeis McGlockton after a fight broke out over a disabled parking space last year.

Drejka had cited the state's "stand your ground" law, which has provided a self-defence case for those threatened by deadly force or imminent danger.

Drejka faces up to 30 years in prison and will be sentenced in October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49459855<br />
snood

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 06:25 am
@izzythepush,
Halle-freakin-lujah.

A bit of justice.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 06:37 am
@snood,
It's a shame he was only convicted of manslaughter, not murder. The link on the above article doesn't work, sorry. This one does.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49459855

From the same article.

Quote:
All but two of the 50 states have some form of stand-your-ground law. Critics argue it has led to more shootings and has made it harder for some criminals to be prosecuted.

Opponents also believe that a racial disparity exists in the law's enforcement.

Three separate academic studies have concluded that white people are more successful at using stand-your-ground defences against black attackers, compared with the same situation vice-versa.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:00 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
As you're so confused it's hard to work out what it is you're trying to say.

Here, I'll make it easier for you. We're discussing the justification for banning guns. First let me get your position on that issue. Do you believe that all guns should be banned? If not, then what would make you happy?

And since school shootings are being used as a justification for a ban on guns, or whatever it is you think should be done, tell me how many school shootings have occurred in the last 20 years. We'll start from there.
Glennn

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:07 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Ok, I will take that as a 'you don't know, and you want me to research it for you

If you are holding up school shootings as justification for whatever it is you think should be done about firearm homicides, then the onus is on you to provide the number of school shootings in the last 20 years. Then we can look at those shootings and see how many of them qualify as justification for banning guns.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:16 am
@Glennn,
I'll make it easy for you. You can't tell me what to do. If you want to look up certain facts then do it yourself you lazy git.

It's fairly obvious to any objective observer that mass shootings are out of control in America. Anyone who can't see that and instead wants to waste time looking up a load of dull figures, just so they can hold onto their gun and feel important, is lacking in humanity.

I, and my friends and family, will never holiday in a country with such an extremely high homicide rate, we'll spend our money elsewhere.

I'm thinking of Marrakech.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/Travel/Destinations/Africa/Morocco/Marrakech/souks-marrakech-shopping-guide.jpg
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:20 am
@Glennn,
Your point is? Kindly tell me why you think a school shooting could possibly be justified and not demand action to stop them.
Even one school shooting is too many, and there have been a shitload more than one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States
Glennn

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:24 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You can't tell me what to do.

You're right. If you don't want to answer any questions, I can't make you.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:36 am
@Glennn,
As of July, there were 22, that's twenty two school shootings in the U>S> Does that satisfy the inner psychopath?
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/08/us/school-shootings-us-2019-trnd/index.html

Now you know, what do you propose to do about it? Or more likely propose not to do about it?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:40 am
@Glennn,
You're not asking questions you're demanding I spend time collecting a load of information just so you can ignore it. It's called sealioning and it's a favourite tactic of the far right.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:46 am
@MontereyJack,
TThat was 22 THIS YEAR as of July.
Glennn

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:50 am
@MontereyJack,
Oh, I didn't say that school shootings are justified. Murder is never justified.
0 Replies