Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 04:25 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
One would think oralloy would get tired of reciting that nonsense

Hardly nonsense. If the motivation for trying to ban pistol grips on rifles is anything other than the enjoyment that progressives experience when they violate people's civil liberties, then what is the real motivation for trying to ban pistol grips on rifles?

MontereyJack wrote:
opinion over and over and over.

Wrong again. Facts don't become opinions just because they are inconvenient for the left.
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 05:45 am
@oralloy,
you ignore the recent quotes from individuals in the news who have enumerated the gun features they are most wishing to control and "PISTOL GRIPS " wasnt on the list as far as weve seen here.
You dont help your case for competency with your mantra about your pistol grip obsession. You really just want folks to avert their eyes from the real points dont you??

oralloy

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 05:49 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you ignore the recent quotes from individuals in the news who have enumerated the gun features they are most wishing to control and "PISTOL GRIPS " wasnt on the list as far as weve seen here.

Wrong. Nearly every Democratic politician is calling for a ban on pistol grips on rifles.

And so are quite a few of the leftists here on a2k.

farmerman wrote:
You dont help your case for competency with your mantra about your pistol grip obsession.

My case for competency is not in any need of help.

farmerman wrote:
You really just want folks to avert their eyes from the real points dont you??

The real point is that we will never allow progressives to violate our civil liberties.

They will just have to get their fun some other way.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 06:05 am
@oralloy,
Nonsense repeated does not suddenly become sense. It's still nonsense. What the growing majority of the country wants to do is ban certain rifles, some of which have pistol grips, some of which do not. Thar is completely a different matter than banning pistol grips, as anyone wirt an ounce of capacity for logical reasoning realizes.
snood

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 07:20 am
@oralloy,
In poll after poll, including polls by Fox News, the vast majority of Americans are in agreement about this (and the polls show this to be true across all demographics, including NRA members and gun owners; Dems and Republicans):
A limitation on the sale of semi-automatic guns and the large capacity magazines used with them that can cause mass casualties at a rapid rate.
They want this because they want to reduce they numbers of people being killed and maimed in attacks with firearms.

Is there something- anything about this thing that the vast majority of Americans want - that you do not understand?

I’m not asking you if you agree with it. I’m simply asking if you understand what they want, and that most Americans want it?
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 08:56 am
@snood,
Bravo, snood. Perfect.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 10:34 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Like Woody Allen? He married his adopted daughter

That's simply not true. Soon-Yi Previn is the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow and of her previous mate, musician André Previn.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 12:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Nonsense repeated does not suddenly become sense. It's still nonsense. What the growing majority of the country wants to do is ban certain rifles, some of which have pistol grips, some of which do not. That is completely a different matter than banning pistol grips, as anyone wirt an ounce of capacity for logical reasoning realizes.

It is true that there are other harmless features that they want to ban, but their only motivation for wanting to ban those features is likewise a desire to violate people civil liberties for fun.

"Pointlessly banning other harmless features" does not change the fact that these proposals also want to ban pistol grips, so there is nothing inaccurate about saying that these proposals would ban pistol grips on semi-auto rifles.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 12:26 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
In poll after poll, including polls by Fox News, the vast majority of Americans are in agreement about this (and the polls show this to be true across all demographics, including NRA members and gun owners; Dems and Republicans):
A limitation on the sale of semi-automatic guns and the large capacity magazines used with them that can cause mass casualties at a rapid rate.

Semi-auto rifles do not cause casualties much faster than than lever- or pump-action rifles. Possibly they even cause casualties at the very same rate, although I'm not aware of any studies addressing that question.

Do you have a cite for any of these polls?

snood wrote:
They want this because they want to reduce they numbers of people being killed and maimed in attacks with firearms.

Since limiting semi-auto weapons has nothing to do with saving lives, if people want this, saving lives is not their motivation.

snood wrote:
Is there something- anything about this thing that the vast majority of Americans want - that you do not understand?
I’m not asking you if you agree with it. I’m simply asking if you understand what they want, and that most Americans want it?

I understand what "limiting semi-auto weapons" means, although "limiting" does have a range of meanings.

I've not paid any attention to what the American people want, so I don't know whether it is true or not.
snood

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 12:55 pm
@oralloy,
How do you figure that as much damage can be done with a weapon having a bolt or lever that has to be manipulated with each shot, as with a weapon that can fire bullets as quickly as one can keep pulling a trigger?

That doesn’t make sense.
You think you can shoot as many people as quickly with a rifle that you have to manually chamber a bullet with a lever after every shot, as I could with a semi-automatic rifle?
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 01:04 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Quote:
Since limiting semi-auto weapons has nothing to do with saving lives, if people want this, saving lives is not their motivation
anyone who is so clueless as to compare rates of fire between say a bolt or lever action rifle with a standard 5 clip with a semi auto ith a drum mag "even up" is someone who would adopt your fact free bullshit.
snood

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 01:16 pm
@farmerman,
Right? I was trying to reason with him, but he’s not even operating in reality.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 01:27 pm
@snood,
Well, ya forgot to cite 2-zillion sources for him! You know how that upsets him (since he seems to lack the basic skill of looking things up for himself).
snood

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 01:33 pm
@Sturgis,
No one needs any citations to know that you can pull a trigger faster than you can work a lever and then pull a trigger.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 02:53 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
How do you figure that as much damage can be done with a weapon having a bolt or lever that has to be manipulated with each shot, as with a weapon that can fire bullets as quickly as one can keep pulling a trigger?

That doesn’t make sense.

You're forgetting the recoil that moves the aim of the gun off of the target, and the need to re-aim the gun for each follow-up shot, at least if you want the follow-up shots to actually hit your intended target. Recoil creates a pause between aimed shots even with a semi-auto.

I've even seen it suggested that for inexperienced shooters (and most mass shooters will not have a huge amount of experience), a lever or pump action will be deadlier than a semi-auto, because an inexperienced shooter with a semi-auto will simply keep pulling the trigger without re-aiming, whereas the forced pause required to work a pump or a lever will give them the time that they need to re-aim their weapon.

snood wrote:
You think you can shoot as many people as quickly with a rifle that you have to manually chamber a bullet with a lever after every shot, as I could with a semi-automatic rifle?

I'm not aware of any study that has made a serious in-depth comparison of the rates of aimed fire for pumps, levers, and semi-autos, but the rates would be pretty close.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 02:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
anyone who is so clueless as to compare rates of fire between say a bolt or lever action rifle with a standard 5 clip with a semi auto ith a drum mag "even up" is someone who would adopt

Who is comparing five round magazines with drum magazines?

farmerman wrote:
your fact free bullshit.

You cannot show a single error in any of my posts.
oralloy

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 02:55 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
he's not even operating in reality.

Do you notice your inability to point out anything that I'm wrong about?

I noticed. 😎
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 02:56 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Well, ya forgot to cite 2-zillion sources for him! You know how that upsets him

Hardly upset. If someone does not provide a cite to back up their arguments when one is requested, that merely lessens the credibility of their arguments.

Sturgis wrote:
(since he seems to lack the basic skill of looking things up for himself).

Backing up your claims is your job, not mine.

My job is to back up my claims.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 03:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Since limiting semi-auto weapons has nothing to do with saving lives, if people want this, saving lives is not their motivation
anyone who is so clueless as to compare rates of fire between say a bolt or lever action rifle with a standard 5 clip with a semi auto ith a drum mag "even up" is someone who would adopt your fact free bullshit.

I believe you have a reading problem sir. He said nothing about rate of fire, that is just some bullshit you made up.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 03:32 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

This is bullshit. I do not believe you have made a single honest statement in this mess of bullshit.
0 Replies