Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 07:02 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
it is not established that rational gun control involves a loss of individual freedom,
This is the first time I've heard the term "rational gun control".

It sounds suspiciously like "common sense gun control" and "sensible gun control" however.

Every single time I've heard someone use the terms "sensible" or "common sense", what was being proposed has always been a horrific civil rights violation.

It is hard to say much of anything about "rational gun control" without an explanation of what that actually means.

However, I think that based on the track record of the other terms it is reasonable to suspect that it is a euphemism for a horrible civil rights violation.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 07:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Better than whimpy righwing losers afraid of smart people and trying to make them shut up.
I am the smart person. I do not fear myself. I do not try to silence myself. I am never afraid to stand up for what is right.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 09:50 am
@oralloy,
You're not half as smart as you think you are.
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 02:12 pm
@Olivier5,
Wrong. I think my IQ is 170. That is exactly how smart I am.
mysteryman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:03 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Doctors are some of the first responders dealing with the innocent victims of out of control gun violence. They have seen first hand the atrocities it inflicts okn innocent people. It sickens them. They've seen first hand it's const in human lives destroyed. You haven't. They have far more of a right to talk about it than you with your armchair theorigizng do.

And as an EMT I see it before the doctors do.
I disagree with much of what the drs are saying.

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:24 pm
@mysteryman,
So rell us about the gun violence deaths youve witnesses and why youre okay with them.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:24 pm
@mysteryman,
so you are saying that the docs positions are wrong and The NRA is right??

I think common snese alone would negate that. NRA knows nothing about gunshot wounds and their severity
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:29 pm
@oralloy,
So. By oliviers criterion that means your actual IQ is 85. Sounds about right.f
Olivier5

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:37 pm
@oralloy,
You think? I think really smart people achieve a degree of awareness of the flawed optics of the ego when it looks at itself, lost as it's prone to be in narcissic fantasies and self-justifications. And I think smart people realize at some point that boasting of one's own intelligence to others is counter-productive, unless you really want to be thought of as a clown. For only idiots trumpet their own intelligence urbi et orbi.
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:40 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
NRA knows nothing about gunshot wounds and their severity
Nonsense.
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:41 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
So. By oliviers criterion that means your actual IQ is 85. Sounds about right.
Nope. My IQ really is 170.
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:43 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
You think?
I know.

Olivier5 wrote:
I think smart people realize at some point that boasting of one's own intelligence to others is counter-productive, unless you really want to be thought of as a clown. For only idiots trumpet their own intelligence urbi et orbi.
Not at all. Why should I be ashamed of my intelligence?

And I'm hardly trumpeting it. You brought up the subject when you made a post insinuating that I had a fear of smart people. All I'm doing is setting the record straight with facts.
Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:45 pm
@oralloy,
That's really fuckin' hilarious. You can't make up **** that funny.
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:50 pm
@Setanta,
Laughing at facts doesn't make them any less factual.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:54 pm
You saying something doesn't make it a fact. But at least your bullshit is mildly entertaining.
farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:55 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
farmerman wrote:
NRA knows nothing about gunshot wounds and their severity
Nonsense.
So, by your logic, drs hould have an intense knowledge of gunshot wounds. If a gun lobby i credited with health knowledge, then the actual HEALTH professionals would know best.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 04:03 pm
@oralloy,
IQ is not everything. There are other forms of intelligence, eg emotional intelligence, the "intelligence of the heart" -- which you're totally devoid of.

Quote:
you made a post insinuating that I had a fear of smart people.

Not at all. I just said that those courageous, smart doctors speaking out of civic duty are far more admirable than "whimpy righwing losers afraid of smart people and trying to make them shut up."

Where did I mention you?
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 04:25 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You saying something doesn't make it a fact. But at least your bullshit is mildly entertaining.
Your failure to point out a single thing that I am wrong about speaks for itself.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 04:28 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
IQ is not everything.
Nothing is ever everything.

Olivier5 wrote:
There are other forms of intelligence, eg emotional intelligence, the "intelligence of the heart" -- which you're totally devoid of.
Is that the type of intelligence that makes people ignore facts in favor of their feelings? I prefer to stay grounded in reality.

Olivier5 wrote:
I just said that those courageous, smart doctors speaking out of civic duty are far more admirable than "whimpy righwing losers afraid of smart people and trying to make them shut up."
Where did I mention you?
You replied to my post against nutty doctors that push a political agenda, with a comment about rightwingers who oppose nutty doctors that push a political agenda.
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 04:29 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
So, by your logic, drs hould have an intense knowledge of gunshot wounds. If a gun lobby i credited with health knowledge, then the actual HEALTH professionals would know best.
It depends on the doctor. I would not presume that an endocrinologist would necessarily have a lot of knowledge about gunshot wounds.

Even if we presume that a particular doctor does know something about gunshot wounds, that would not mean they know anything about guns or gun policy.
0 Replies