Guns: how much longer will it take ....

izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:07 pm
@Glennn,
You don't have to wait for the law to change, you can do without a gun as many Americans do. You decide to keep a gun, and that need to have and keep one makes you complicit.

I'm not wasting time with you arguing the minutiae of various bits of legislation or firearms specifics.

I'll stick with the broads brush thank you very much. Our gun laws are sane, yours are totally mental.
camlok

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I'll stick with the broads brush thank you very much.

This tells everyone and anyone just exactly what you are, izzy and how much they should trust anything you say.

broad brush nonsense and nothing in the way of fact or reason.

You make your huge, fatuous churchillian pronouncements, one hand tucked in your jacket, as if they have any meaning, any veracity.

Yup, that is izzy in a nutshell.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You don't have to wait for the law to change, you can do without a gun as many Americans do.

So now that I've called you on lying about me feeling a need to strut around with a gun, you now go to another extreme by calling me a child killer simply because I'm licensed to own a gun.

And exactly which of those ridiculously lax gun laws do you imagine I support?
camlok

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You don't have to wait for the law to change, you can do without a gun as many Americans do.

I think that is called "personal freedom". Have you ever had any exposure to such a radical idea?

Quote:
You decide to keep a gun, and that need to have and keep one makes you complicit.

This is really why you no longer want to discuss with Glennn. You know how totally fatuous is the comment you made, but still you allowed your reptilian brain to proceed.

A shining example of total illogic. I hope you daughter, or other children, don't read the old man's posts.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 02:04 pm
@Glennn,
You've not called me out on anything. You know what you do, it's why you're so desperate to cling onto your gun.

Comprehension's not your thing is it? I never called you a child killer, I said you were complicit. The civilians who lived near death camps didn't kill anyone either, but they were complicit.

You want to pretend you bear no responsibility whatsoever for all the shootings that go on over there. That's fine, just don't expect anyone else to swallow your bullshit.

coldjoint

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 02:11 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You've not called me out on anything.

I have. Glenn will no doubt learn your input is garbage.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 02:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You know what you do, it's why you're so desperate to cling onto your gun.

Totally illogical connections you are making, Izzy. I doubt any American feels desperate about having to hold onto their guns with the gun culture they have. There are, of course, totally paranoid nut cases in the USA that feel or pretend to feel that way.

Glennn is not like that.

I don't feel desperate, SO or otherwise to hold onto my gun. I haven't touched it, or any other gun in years but there is no fear, certainly no desperation, that my gun is going anywhere that I don't take it, ... if I'm a mind to.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 03:23 pm
@Glennn,
Fair enough.

We disagree on whether of not they should be in the public domain, but I've no problem with that disagreement. That is what democracies are about (where even constitutions can be changed). If people want change, they start lobbying, and gain sufficient support...or not.
Glennn

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 04:49 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I said you were complicit.

So in order for me to not be complicit in child killing, I must do . . . what?
camlok

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 06:12 pm
@Glennn,
You shouldn't try to use logic and reason, Glennn, you are talking to izzy.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:28 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Quote:
Using a jarring image to blast increased diversity on a children's TV show, a National Rifle Association online show depicted characters from "Thomas & Friends" in white, Ku Klux Klan-style hoods on burning train tracks.

Host of NRA TV's "Relentless," Dana Loesch went after the classic children's character Thomas The Tank Engine after its maker, Mattel, joined forces with the United Nations in efforts to increase gender diversity and representation on the program and include new characters from around the globe.

Loesch, a conservative spokeswomen for the gun rights group, specifically called out one new character – Nia, a steam engine from Kenya.

USA TODAY

How in the world is the above the new norm?

Did you watch the video?
I don't think you watched the video.

I think you were so excited about the words "NRA" and "racism" that you just trusted the source without watching the video like all the other drones from sector 33.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:03 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Switching from gun deaths to knife deaths is pointless. The victims are just as dead either way.
You obviously didn't look at the comparative homicide rates. The US was around 4-5 times that of Australia.
It was cherrypicked data designed to promote an erroneous conclusion. International statistics are quite clear that gun availability has very little impact on homicide rates.

vikorr wrote:
Most of the knife deaths in Australia would be domestic related. Whether there are guns or knives in a house, the easiest weapon to hand may be picked up in a heated argument - so if the argument is anywhere near the kitchen, a knife is just so easy to obtain. From that perspective, you are right, dead by gun or knife doesn't matter.

The difference comes in street deaths, mass shooting deaths, mentally ill murderers, and possibly the number of drug related deaths.
The difference comes with poverty levels. High homicide rates come from areas with high poverty, regardless of the number of guns that these populations do or do not possess.

vikorr wrote:
I think gungasnake said he considered the price worth it. I can't say I agree, but at least it is a straightforward opinion.
It would definitely be worth it should this price actually exist.

But there is no such price. Gun availability rates have very little impact on homicide rates.
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:05 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
oralloy never looks at anything that conflicts with his narrow little world view,
That's because I look only at reality.
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:07 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Six people have been killed in linked shootings in the city of Bakersfield in California, police say.
Would these people be less dead if they'd been killed with a knife?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:10 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
You're seeing things you want to...the context related to izzy's examples. The gun should obviously have been a comparison to a knife. The guy wasn't going to run over the parties that were in their business (unless it was very open), nor the others in their house. It's unlikely he knew how to make a bomb. Why then use them as comparison. Seriously?
Everyone knows how to make bombs.

And while it is true that a vehicle attack could not take place inside a building, all that means is the attacker needs to plan his attack so that he strikes when people are in the open.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:14 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
That's because I look only at reality.

You know you are lying and still you continue, to tell baldfaced lies.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:17 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Are you actually interested in talking regulations? I thought your position was that it breaches your 2nd amendment, and therefore isn't to even be discussed.
Not all regulations are off limits.

What is unconstitutional are regulations that bar people from having enough firepower for effective self defense, and regulations that cannot be justified with a good reason.

If a regulation can be justified with a good reason, and if it does not bar effective self defense, then it probably passes muster with the Second Amendment.
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:18 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Because that would mean that the NRA and their followers are complicit in the murder of hundreds of children every year. They are complicit, they're every bit as guilty as the ordinary Germans who turned a blind eye to the Nazi death camps at the end of the street.
Nonsense. Gun control isn't about saving lives, and opposition to the violation to our rights does not cost any lives.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:19 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
We disagree on whether of not they should be in the public domain, but I've no problem with that disagreement. That is what democracies are about (where even constitutions can be changed). If people want change, they start lobbying, and gain sufficient support...or not.

I do not see a time when a majority of Americans will agree to have their semiautomatic weapons confiscated. Most are wise enough to understand that if that were allowed, then whatever weapon is subsequently used in the next murder where four or more people are killed by a shooter will b next on the list.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:20 pm
@oralloy,
Amendments are not sacrosanct, neither is any provision of the consteetwoshun. One day the 2ndA will be gone, just as the prohibition amendment is gone.