Guns: how much longer will it take ....

revelette1

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:11 am
@Baldimo,
It is irrelevant as to the reason why they put white hoods on the burning tracks. The point is they felt they had a right to. People have lost all fear and feel emboldened to bring up such a horrible image which refers to a shameful time in the past.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:19 am
Quote:
Six people have been killed in linked shootings in the city of Bakersfield in California, police say.

A man and his wife drove to a trucking business in the city, where the man shot dead two men and his wife.

The man then drove to another residence where he shot dead two more people.

After hijacking a vehicle with a woman and child in it, the man was then confronted by a deputy and shot himself dead. Police are still investigating the motives behind the killings.

Donny Youngblood of the Kern County Sheriff's Department said deputies were called to the trucking business after reports of shots being fired at 17:20 local time (00:20 GMT) .

Authorities were working to determine "why this started and why so many players were involved and the connection because obviously these are not random shootings," he said.

The entire incident took place over 10 to 15 minutes, he said.

"This is the new normal, if you look across the country," he said, describing the incident as a mass shooting.

"Six people lost their lives in a very short period of time."

The deputies learned that the husband had confronted a man and then shot both him and his own wife. Another man then appeared at the scene and the husband shot at him, before pursuing him and shooting him dead.

The husband then drove to a residence on Breckenridge Road and shot dead two people.

After being carjacked in their car, the woman and child inside managed to escape.

The man pulled over after a deputy confronted him with a firearm and then shot himself dead.

The names of the victims have not been released, but they were all from the Bakersfield area, some 90 miles (145km) north of Los Angeles, police said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45505610
Baldimo

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:32 am
@revelette1,
Now you are delving into the realm of political correctness. They had every right to do it as they were asking a very good point. Has Thomas the Tank Engine and his pals been white trains all along, if so then they must be guilty of racism? I've watched plenty of episodes when my sons were younger and I never noticed any "race" between the trains, unless you wanted to read into the voice actors for the different trains.

Now having watched plenty of kids cartoons over the last 20 years or so, less so in the last 10, kids cartoons pretty much went away from using humans to portray their stories and moved to either animals, robots or other types of none existent lifeforms. To say these cartoons need more diversity is refusing to see the original purpose of these types of characters, telling and teaching about human relations without using actual human examples, it was about the ideals of treating everyone fair, didn't matter if they were a turtle vs a bear, purple ball vs red ball or robot with 6 arms vs robot with 2 arms. It was an agenda with being an obvious agenda and it worked.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:38 am
@izzythepush,
All of these deaths are going to be linked and won't be random. This is not a mass shooting in the general meaning of mass shooting. If it was all random, he would have killed the lady and her kid when he took their car. It seems everyone he killed he killed for his own reasons, this will turn out to be some sort of twisted love affair that turned deadly. I'm also guessing this wasn't done with an AR-15 type weapon so there won't be any talking points for the mass media. It already hasn't been widely published here in the US, it wasn't mentioned in my local news cast, I found out about it while doing my morning internet news review.
camlok

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 12:13 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
People have lost all fear and feel emboldened to bring up such a horrible image which refers to a shameful time in the past.

Exactly, rev, just what I told you. It has always been there in the American psyche, you can't get away from your violent, war mongering, terrorist past because it is ingrained in y'all right from when you are young.

[bolded addition, below, is mine]

Quote:

The CIA and the Gulf War
by John Stockwell

We'll get into that in more detail in just a minute, but first you have to proceed to understand our system and how the conditioning works in a little bit more detail.

The conditioning to war [and violence] in this country begins at the age of two, when we put our children in front of the one-eyed baby-sitter, and we turn it on and we go wash dishes or sweep the floor or clean the car — and we teach them. Actually, little kids (I don't know if you've done this recently), they're bored with TV at first. You have to get them hooked on it. We teach them, actually, to watch television. And very quickly they learn. And then they get to where they're watching 10 to 15 to 20 shows a day, all of them the same show, the same story with different characters. I call it the "American Syndrome."

http://www.serendipity.li/cia/stock2.html

Baldimo

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 12:35 pm
@camlok,
Except we haven't done this in relation to war, if that were the case we would have a much higher percentage of young people serving in the military and less of them running around screaming about their feelings being hurt by words. The brain washing has been towards your way of thinking, the "shaming" of the US. The left runs the media and the entertainment world and our education system.
camlok

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 01:17 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Except we haven't done this in relation to war,

93% of the US's years in existence as a "nation" have been at war. You are delusional, Baldimo. Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, ... . Terrorist US drone attacks in many Muslim countries, ...

Quote:
“We’re at War!” — And We Have Been Since 1776: 214 Years of American War-Making
by Danios on December 20, 2011 in Feature, Loon Politics

“I should welcome almost any war, for I think this country needs one.” -President Theodore Roosevelt, at the turn of the century [1]

http://www.loonwatch.com/files/www.loonwatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/uncle-sam-i-want-you-to.jpg

http://www.loonwatch.com/files/2011/12/we-re-at-war-and-we-have-been-since-1776/

0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 04:02 pm
@Baldimo,
Even domestic related mass shootings are still mass shootings. We had one here in Western Australia not too long ago. I didn't consider it anything other than a mass shooting.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 04:27 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
Even domestic related mass shootings are still mass shootings.

It's a political usage of the word in it's loosest sense. You remove the blame from the shooter and place the blame on the weapon, it's a loose usage of the meaning then. Typically "domestic shootings" are not considered a mass shooting due to the intimate nature of the people involved and the specific violence involved at targeted individuals.

Quote:
We had one here in Western Australia not too long ago. I didn't consider it anything other than a mass shooting.

Of course you considered it a mass shooting, it leads people to believe it's a certain type of event. The reality is that someone, either the dead grandfather committed murder/suicide or the father killed his estranged wife, kids and her parents who were not letting him see the kids, the police comments indicated they were not looking for suspect. I couldn't find any further info past a few days after the shooting where the father was pointing the finger at his father-in-law. I do recall hearing about this on the news when it did happen back in May, never heard any final conclusion from the police and google isn't giving me anything else.
vikorr

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 04:45 pm
@Baldimo,
You'd rather call it mass murder I guess. Well, that's fine, but there are different ways mass murders are carried out. You call a bombing a bombing, rather than mass murder, because it describes the nature of the weapon used, and it's expected to result in multiple fatalities. Then there are suicide bombers. And with the rise of vehicular attacks, the use of vehicle as a weapon is still headlined.

Guns differ in a way, in that the offender can target just one person, or multiple (mass) people.

All up, I don't see any issue with the type of mass murder being related to the weapon used.

It appears you may have issue with the setting, and the use of 'mass shooting'. You could call it a multiple domestic homicide...though the above argument arises again... and I have little doubt it wouldn't have ended with the total number of deaths, had the weapon been a knife - he had to travel, so the specific placement and setting of each person he killed would be unknown to him prior to arrival, which means, with the closeness he has to get to each victim, that escape would likely have been possible for some of the ultimate victims. Of course, the end result is somewhat debatable, though there is little doubt that firearms offer an ability to kill more people in the same amount of time, and to do so over a distance (rather than immediate proximity).

I don't think there's political mileage in the use of the term Mass Shooting. I think it's very accurate, and very apt.

Baldimo

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 05:11 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
You'd rather call it mass murder I guess. Well, that's fine, but there are different ways mass murders are carried out. You call a bombing a bombing, rather than mass murder, because it describes the nature of the weapon used, and it's expected to result in multiple fatalities. Then there are suicide bombers. And with the rise of vehicular attacks, the use of vehicle as a weapon is still headlined.

Mass shooting has a political meaning in usage but you know that.

Quote:
Guns differ in a way, in that the offender can target just one person, or multiple (mass) people.

Your bias is showing, because a knife, bomb, car or anything else can be used to kill numerous people or one person . Guns are no different other than they are a political item to the anti-gun people.

Quote:
All up, I don't see any issue with the type of mass murder being related to the weapon used.

Except most crimes, and that is what this family murder was, aren't about the weapon used, except for people such as yourself who dislike guns.

Quote:
It appears you may have issue with the setting, and the use of 'mass shooting'. You could call it a multiple domestic homicide...though the above argument arises again... and I have little doubt it wouldn't have ended with the total number of deaths, had the weapon been a knife - he had to travel, so the specific placement and setting of each person he killed would be unknown to him prior to arrival, which means, with the closeness he has to get to each victim, that escape would likely have been possible for some of the ultimate victims.

Who had to travel? Which case are you talking about? If it's the one with the murder suicide, there was no traveling, he committed the crime on his own property.

While you want to point to a "mass shooting", it looks like you Aussies have a larger problem, family murder is becoming frequent and it looks like only one case involved a gun:
Quote:
It is alleged Anthony Robert Harvey, 24, killed his wife and children on September 3, then killed his mother-in-law the next morning when she came to visit.
It is the third domestic mass killing in Western Australia in four months.
A grandfather shot his wife, daughter and her four children before taking his own life at a farm in Osmington, near Margaret River, in May.
Just over two months later, a 19-year-old man allegedly murdered his mother, sister and brother in Ellenbrook in Perth's northeast.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/twin-girls-among-the-dead-in-perth-house/news-story/17bb33f61beb70824cab80d6d1e16332

Quote:
I don't think there's political mileage in the use of the term Mass Shooting. I think it's very accurate, and very apt.

I'm going to have to throw a bullshit flag on this one, you fully well know there is political mileage in the phrase "mass shooting", it's the most used argument in the US and on these boards for gun control.

Except no one considers such a crime as a mass shooting when it is the killing of a family by one of their own. If he had used a knife, which is easy to do for such a crime, would you call it a mass stabbing or a mass knife attack? No, you'd simply say a man killed his family using a knife. Don't be naive. The first story I found on the killings ended like this:
Quote:
The Osmington deaths are the worst mass shooting since then.

Western Australia state Premier Mark McGowan, who travelled to Margaret River on Sunday, said he did not think gun laws could be further tightened but he would await recommendations from a coronial inquiry into the shootings.

So you tell me, does the use of the phrase "mass shooting" not bear political outcomes?
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/grandfather-planned-australia-family-murder-suicide-says-father-of-children-killed
vikorr

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 05:53 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Mass shooting has a political meaning in usage but you know that.
Mass shooting has emotional connotations to it, that people use for political agendas, yes.

In Australia, other than the Domestic Mass Shooting I mentioned, I can't recall another such domestic incident like it, perhaps the Singh Murders where a jilted boyfriend murders his girlfriend and her siblings in Brisbane (unknown weapon if any - he boiled the bodies in a spa). Nor are mass shootings common - they are extremely rare. It is not really an issue in this country. So my use of it doesn't carry the US use of it. For me, I see it as very apt.

Quote:
Your bias is showing, because a knife, bomb, car or anything else can be used to kill numerous people or one person . Guns are no different other than they are a political item to the anti-gun people.
You're seeing things you want to...the context related to izzy's examples. The gun should obviously have been a comparison to a knife. The guy wasn't going to run over the parties that were in their business (unless it was very open), nor the others in their house. It's unlikely he knew how to make a bomb. Why then use them as comparison. Seriously?

Even so, I had also previously mentioned both bombs, and cars as a method of mass murder, and I would have no hesitation discussing the means in either of those two scenarios. So why make an exemption for firearms? Because that is what it would be...an avoidance.
Quote:
Except most crimes, and that is what this family murder was, aren't about the weapon used,
Most crimes aren't murder.

Quote:
except for people such as yourself
No, the media almost always nominates the weapon when they know a weapon was used. Most people talk about the weapon when the weapon was used. There is nothing unusual about this at all.

Quote:
who dislike guns
That's the problem with assumptions. I like guns. Used them from about the age of 12, with air rifles, onto .22's when didn't need to be licensed, and still go down to the firing range from time to time. A large percentage of Australians like guns, and I'm all for that. The difference in our approach is the regulation of guns.

Glennn

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 07:06 pm
@vikorr,
Okay, what regulation do you have in mind?
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 09:11 pm
@vikorr,
What do you think we should do about shotguns?
vikorr

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 09:14 pm
@Glennn,
Are you actually interested in talking regulations? I thought your position was that it breaches your 2nd amendment, and therefore isn't to even be discussed.
camlok

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 09:30 pm
@vikorr,
For some strange reason, vikorr, you can conduct yourself in a reasoned discussion about all topics save for the one that scares you silly.
vikorr

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 09:40 pm
@camlok,
It's not strange at all. My behaviour, in all my posts, is very consistent. You disagree, that's fine. I have a theory why you disagree. You have a theory that I'm 'scared' etc. That too is fine.
camlok

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 09:55 pm
@vikorr,
It's not a theory. The evidence is that you can never provide any evidence. And you know this and you still carry on with your dishonesty, pretending to be so measured. Phony as all get out.

For only one topic that I have seen. That is really strange, really weird.
Glennn

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2018 07:03 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
Are you actually interested in talking regulations?

My question to you was: what regulations do you have in mind. Your question was not an answer.
Quote:
I thought your position was that it breaches your 2nd amendment

You thought wrong. So, what regulations do you have in mind?
vikorr

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2018 07:29 am
@Glennn,
Are you actually interested in talking regulations? (You didn't answer this question) Because there is little point discussing such if you are not.

Still, if you are interested, I have generalised previously in this thread about the type of regulation I prefer.