Guns: how much longer will it take ....

izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2018 01:25 am
@glitterbag,
When I was very little, pre school age, a teenage girl down the road chased me with a carving life. I can still vividly remember it.

In 1984 Orwell wrote about a jackboot stamping on a human face for eternity. Some of us empathise with the human face, others like to think they're the jackboot.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2018 05:24 am
@glitterbag,
Once as a teenager i was walking through farm fields and got shot at from a distance. I couldn't hear the shots, only the bullets whistling left and right. Took me some time to understand what was happening. I guess the farmer was trying to scare me off his property.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2018 05:31 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
intentionally shot at
but it was due to rebel raids and I lost a great friend as we hid under our drill rig
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:01 pm
@farmerman,
didnt mean to bring this one down, but today I just read about the 3D printer guns. WHAAAA??? This breaks all exiting laws if its true.
oralloy

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 04:40 am
@farmerman,
Do you mean these?
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/after-parkland-a-surge-in-make-your-own-ar-15-rifles

What law would be violated?
oralloy

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 04:42 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
So it's far easier to kill someone with a gun than with a knife.
Why does that matter? It is still easy enough with a knife that anyone who is bent on murder can do their killing with a knife.
farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 05:10 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
What law would be violated?
Think about hand guns. If this is lft to fester, Im betting there will be a surge in open carry . Not knowing someone is armed is more diturbing than knowing they are, where Im in a country where we both can be armed.

I dont like guns ruling discussions.

Mot of the 3D pistols are not very threatening YET. Technology will mov orward and we will soon , like long guns, be printing metal guns using additive plans.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 05:09 pm
@farmerman,
I was reading about this today, too. You know I’m a pretty tight gun freedom person, but I have about 25 concerns about this gun-printing shite.

I’m concerned that it might be used to curtail existing gun rights.

And I’m otherwise concerned....

I don’t like it.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 05:56 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:
So it's far easier to kill someone with a gun than with a knife.
Why does that matter? It is still easy enough with a knife that anyone who is bent on murder can do their killing with a knife.

It was recently reported that London, with its gun ban, now has a higher murder rate than NYC. In London most of the murders were committed with knives.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 06:01 pm
Quote:
TX Mall Robbery’s Not Gun Violence But Rather Illegal Alien Criminal Violence

There is one they can cross of the list of America gun owners abusing their right to own guns.
https://www.independentsentinel.com/tx-mall-robberys-not-gun-violence-but-rather-illegal-alien-criminal-violence/
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 06:40 pm
@layman,
Quote:
In London most of the murders were committed with knives.

It does seem that there's a better chance of getting away with murder using a knife because they're the ultimate silencer . . . in more ways than one. HA!

Personally, I'd use a crossbow; silent and effective.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 06:58 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Personally, I'd use a crossbow; silent and effective.

A small one that shoots regular pencils. You still can get huge magazines of those.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 08:49 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
It was recently reported that London, with its gun ban, now has a higher murder rate than NYC. In London most of the murders were committed with knives.

Needless to say, this severely undercuts the cheese-eating premise that people don't kill people but rather that guns kill people, eh?

London's pitch was that they could decrease the murder rate by confiscating all guns. Then they go and out-murder new york city, where you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting 4 or 5 guns.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 09:11 pm
@farmerman,
My experience happened during an argument with my first husband. I thought it had ended after he ripped the drapes off the bedroom walls and smashed my plants on the kitchen floor (anybody remember those old terra cotta pots). He went to bed and I started to clean up the mess. I didn’t want the baby to wake up to all the chaos.........it was just starting to get light and I finally sat down on the sofa to rest a minute...and that’s when I heard him pull the bolt back on his weapon...........it’s a terrifying thing, but I’m not sure if it translates as just how terrifying...I remember feeling a sudden freezing chill then breaking out in a sweat.....the rest of time was horrific but I’m still here, my child was too young to remembermy so I made it thru. Not everybody does, and some people are forever damaged...I think I’m lucky even though I remember everything that happened, I was able to get out and never had to go back.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 10:16 am
@layman,
I lived in NYC for ten years, and never saw anyone with a gun ever, apart from cops.
vikorr

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 07:40 pm
@Olivier5,
NYC must be the most unsafe place on earth.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 06:00 pm
Quote:
Bombshell report: Parkland killer asked for help months before massacre, but officials ignored him

Another hint guns are not the problem.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/08/04/bombshell-report-parkland-killer-asked-for-help-months-before-massacre-but-officials-ignored-him?utm_content=buffer6bd94&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=theblaze
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 11:26 pm
@vikorr,
That's a ridiculous cliché. New York is an extremely safe and civilised place, considering its size.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 11:43 pm
NRA Says it Is Facing a Financial Crisis
https://amp.slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/08/thoughts-and-prayers-twitter-responds-to-nra-saying-it-is-facing-a-financial-crisis.html
vikorr

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 11:44 pm
@Olivier5,
It appears you missed the irony/facetious with which I made that statement.

I presumed you had read my previous posts in this thread, or at least understood the gist of them (which is counter to the statement I made), coupled with the obvious disconnect with realty.