Guns: how much longer will it take ....

Blickers

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:43 am
@Used2bgood,
Used2bgood:
Quote:
The younger generations don't understand what the second amendment was written for. It was in response of why the pilgrims came to this country for,
What kind of assault muskets did the Pilgrims use? Any links to some illustrations?
oralloy

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 02:29 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Everybody knows that an assault rifle is a semiauto or auto rifle that physically resembles a military style weapon. That's why deranged mass shooters, when given the choice between the assault style semiauto and the conventional style semiauto always choose the assault style rifle. Because it looks scarier. Because it enhances their sense of power of drama as they take out as many innocent people as they can before the cops finally get them-or until they chicken out and let themselves get captured.
I don't see how a pistol grip is particularly scary.

If spree shooters are in fact more likely to use rifles with a pistol grip, that may simply be a matter of pistol grips being more prevalent. It is not necessarily due to any preference on their part.

But even if it was due to an actual preference, the fact that the difference is meaningless makes that preference completely irrelevant.

Blickers wrote:
And these are reasons-not the only reasons, but sufficient reasons-that assault style semiauto rifles must be banned forthwith.
That is incorrect. A meaningless difference is not a justification for banning something.

Blickers wrote:
It doesn't help your case much when it is obvious that an assault style rifle and a deer rifle definitely look different.
They don't look different at all. If someone hunts deer with a rifle that has a pistol grip on it, it looks exactly like a rifle with a pistol grip on it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 02:37 am
@Blickers,
They fled to America so they could continue discriminating against Catholics. Damn British tolerance!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 02:38 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
What kind of assault muskets did the Pilgrims use?
Matchlock I presume.

Blickers wrote:
Any links to some illustrations?
http://www.militaryheritage.com/images/matchlocklever1.JPG
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/tauNQSYN1oI/maxresdefault.jpg
http://i.pinimg.com/originals/eb/dc/4d/ebdc4d5db39d28d7b722d597b8e1f4d1.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 09:10 am
@Region Philbis,
two weeks ago, i wrote:

nice...
Quote:
Hundreds in Massachusetts may lose gun licenses because of federal rules
(today's globe)

the bill was approved...
Used2bgood

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 09:47 am
@Blickers,
All of this banter about assult rifles and hand guns is moot. The real danger AND way to stop it is NOT gun control. My interest here is to post a warning of what WILL happen once gun control legislation is started!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 11:42 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Everybody knows that an assault rifle is a semiauto or auto rifle that physically resembles a military style weapon.

Physically resembles? So it's about the looks and nothing more. Since semi-auto rifles can only fire one bullet with every trigger squeeze, it isn't in the same class of weapon as the "military" automatics. If they were the same, they would have been covered under the 1986 restrictions.

Quote:
That's why deranged mass shooters, when given the choice between the assault style semiauto and the conventional style semiauto always choose the assault style rifle.

Tell that to the dead people who were killed by a mass shooter and didn't use a semi-auto rifle, like the reporters who were killed yesterday with a shotgun, just like the kids killed at that TX school.

Quote:
Because it looks scarier. Because it enhances their sense of power of drama as they take out as many innocent people as they can before the cops finally get them-or until they chicken out and let themselves get captured. And these are reasons-not the only reasons, but sufficient reasons-that assault style semiauto rifles must be banned forthwith.

You are saying we should ban a gun because of how it looks...

Quote:
You continue to embarrass yourself. You and the rest of the pro-gun people have been telling us how stupid we supposedly are for not realizing there is no difference between an assault-style semiauto rifle and a regular semiauto rifle, and now you're backing off and saying that there actually is no such thing as an assault style semiauto.

There is no such thing as an "assault style" semi-auto. That's what we have been trying to point out. The only embarrassment that has taken place is the number of times you have tried to slip meaningless phrases into the gun debate based off of nothing but something looks scary. There is zero operational difference between what you call an "assault rifle" and a semi-auto rifle, it's the use of a BS term we object to.

What's the difference between a Ruger Ranch Rifle and an AR-15? You never answer this question.

Quote:
It doesn't help your case much when it is obvious that an assault style rifle and a deer rifle definitely look different.

See, you are doing it again why are you trying to confuse people? A deer rifle is typically a bolt action rifle that fires a much larger round than the standard semi-auto rifle. In fact "deer rifles" are far more dangerous than the standard AR-15, the bullets can do far greater damage.

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 11:54 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/xq4qN4F.jpg

Wil Wheaton is a well known liberal's liberal and a bit of a weenie who can't accept any other world view than the the one beaten into his head from the west coast liberal mouth pieces he has surrounded himself with.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 03:31 pm
@coldjoint,
How about the fact Trump has been telling the trumpets knock them down, get rid of them and ill back you will lawyers and money. Now comes the comeback when did he ever say that.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 04:35 pm
@RABEL222,
Never mind the fact that the left had been hosting violent protests against Trump since he first announced he was running for President. How many cities saw left wing violent protests?
San Jose CA, San Diego CA, Chicago just to name a few cities where leftist started violent protests during the 2016 campaign.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 07:47 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Region Philbis wrote:

Wil Wheaton is a well known liberal's liberal and a bit of a weenie who can't accept any other world view than the the one beaten into his head from the west coast liberal mouth pieces he has surrounded himself with.

Are you trying to tell me or others that that murders committed in my town didn't happen? All of the dead reporters and the receptionist worked at my local paper. The formerly alive people used to shop at the local grocery store, they show up at PTA meetings, they have elderly parents who depend on them, it's a small town newspaper and now all those non-celebrity folks who print the local obits, records of home sales, PTA meetings and county/city local elections are no longer breathing. My entire neighborhood was on lockdown between 2:30 and round 6 PM. It's summer, kids in pools had to be rushed inside, neighbors called the elderly neighbors and made sure their doors were locked. You might wonder if some of the neighbors have guns? Yes they do and so do I, but it took a while to find out what happened, where it happened and if there were other shooters. A small wooded area separates me from the newspaper building, at that particular moment in time I didn't worry about which party the shooter/s belonged to or which news outlet is their personal religion....I didn't want to see anyone killed.

coldjoint

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 09:29 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
the bill was approved...

Then they will be responsible when that former gun owner is killed in his home that he can't protect.
0 Replies

Used2bgood

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2018 05:13 am
I hope that you all are collecting rocks as they will be your only source of weapons if any sort of gun control is passed!
Just look at the Middle East where guns are banned totally ...........

This has been a warning ............ do not drink the Coolaid!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2018 06:11 am
It's Koolaid, and someone here has certainly drunk it. Did you get that from some gun nut web site? Yeah . . . the Israelis don't have any guns, the Palestinians don't have any guns, the Lebanese don't have any guns, the Turks don't have any guns--sure as hell, the Syrians don't have any guns. The Kurds don't have any guns, the Iraqis don't have any guns, the Saudis don't have any guns, the Yemenis don't have any guns . . .

Do you really believe that old bullsh*t? Say . . . wanna buy a nice bridge?
Baldimo

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2018 09:33 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Are you trying to tell me or others that that murders committed in my town didn't happen?

Of course those people died, it's the first 2/3 of his tweet that is being questioned. There is no connection to the killings and anything Trump or the supposed "Nazi" have said. The twisted left used this as yet another propaganda tool against those they disagree with.

Sorry for your town, but this case is going to quickly fade from the headlines because there was no "right-wing" connection and an AR-15 wasn't used. They will play the anti-media angle for awhile but as we already know, this guy had a long running dispute with the paper that boiled over into murder. Another deranged person who took their mental issues out on innocent people, just like any other mass shooter.
0 Replies

Used2bgood

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2018 04:28 am
@Setanta,
The average persons, like you and I don't have the guns ..... only the fanatics!

And I watch the 'fake news' like everyone else ..............
Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2018 05:14 am
@Used2bgood,
I don't watch television--it rots your brain. So does relying on right-wing web sites.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2018 10:23 am
@McGentrix,
Quote Region:
Quote:

Quote McGentrix:
Quote:

In other words, you have no specific rejoinder to the post so you simply throw on a generic one-size-fits-all criticism of the other side to make yourself feel good that you said something back.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2018 02:31 pm
@Blickers,
CJ seems to believe he absolutely must post after everyone, as if he is part of the conversation. It’s a technique used by miserable old grouches who are complelled to halt conversations. Some people call it Buzz-kill and sometimes Debbie Downer. He posts here then runs out the door to scream “Get off my lawn, you kids” then back to the forum.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2018 03:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
CJ seems to believe he absolutely must post after everyone

That must make it everyone's problem. You seem especially flustered. You really do think you are special.Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies