Guns: how much longer will it take ....

revelette1

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 08:17 am
@Blickers,
Guns don't kill; people do. Alcohol don't get people drunk, people do. Dope don't get people high, people do. Cigarettes don't give people lung cancer; people do. A car don't give people transportation to another place, people do.

On all those example there are laws concerning them which help regulate them.

Insane Video Shows 13-Year-Old Buying Gun After He's Denied Booze And Tobacco

Apparently it is illegal in Virgina for a minor to be in possession or transport a handgun or assualt firarm but they can buy a riffle.

How to Turn A Modern Sporting Rifle Into an Assault Rifle

It took literally seconds to look up.
Glennn

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 08:53 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
despite me saying it is not a comment either way.

Very well, then. You are not making a comment either way. Understood.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:00 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
knives have many varied everyday uses and guns don't.

Knives are used for chopping up food to make a meal. They are also used for gutting deer, and they are used for murdering. Guns are used for hunting, personal home defense, and sport shooting. They are also used for murdering.

So, what do you propose we do about guns. Do you want them all banned? Do you want to ban only some of them? What do you want?
Glennn

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:10 am
@revelette1,

A twenty-second long video. You're a fast learner. Myself, I didn't learn a thing. Why don't you break it down for us slow learners?
Quote:

I believe your beef is with those who ignore gun regulations.
revelette1

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:18 am
@Glennn,
Quote:

Of course it is, if a regular riffle can be made into an assault weapon, then clearly those parts which make up the parts that make an assault weapon out of a riffle should be discontinued and banned.

So should any type of a weapon, not used in police and/or military, which has large capacity magazine features, which either come with it or can be built into it, should also be banned.
Glennn

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:24 am
@revelette1,
How many instances of someone turning a regular semiautomatic rifle into an automatic assault rifle are you aware of?

Still waiting for you to do a breakdown of that video you provided which allegedly shows me how to quickly change a semiautomatic rifle into an automatic assault rifle.
Blickers

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:25 am
@Glennn,
Quote Glenn:
Quote:
Knives are used for chopping up food to make a meal. They are also used for gutting deer, and they are used for murdering. Guns are used for hunting, personal home defense, and sport shooting. They are also used for murdering.
The overwhelming portion of knife activities are non-lethal, such as opening letters or buttering your English muffin.The overwhelming portion of gun activities have to do with performing or at least threatening lethal action. I don't know of anyone who uses a gun to open a letter or butter their English muffin, do you?

Therefore, the people who go through the process of obtaining guns have a much higher percentage of people who interested in having lethal action available to them, as opposed to those who buy knives or baseball bats. All three can be lethal, but only guns are all about lethality. Therefore, among gun owners we can expect to find a much higher percentage of gun zealots than among knife owners, (almost everybody), and baseball bat owners.
Glennn

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:28 am
@Blickers,
What do you want? Do you want to ban all guns? Do you want to ban only some guns? What exactly do you want?
revelette1

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:41 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
How many instances of someone turning a regular semiautomatic rifle into an automatic assault rifle are you aware of?

The Las Vegas shooter was one of them.

This Is How The Las Vegas Shooter Turned His Assault Rifles Into Automatic Weapons

He used a bumper stock to turn a legal semi-automatic riffle into a automatic assault weapon. It was done legally. It should not be done legally.

Quote:
Still waiting for you to do a breakdown of that video you provided which allegedly shows me how to quickly change a semiautomatic rifle into an automatic assault rifle.

I know a bait when I see one. The one you refer was the first one I came across in seconds, didn't even check it out. The were plenty more where that come and more other people can easily find.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:43 am
@gungasnake,
Tommy Robinson is a disgusting Nazi piece of crap. He's been rightfully prosecuted for his hate speech and contempt of court. The only people who give a monkeys about this vile little **** are other Nazis like you. If this was the 1930s you'd be complaining about Hitler being locked up for the abortive Munich Putsch.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:44 am
@Glennn,
Quote Glennn:
Quote:
What do you want? Do you want to ban all guns? Do you want to ban only some guns? What exactly do you want?

Personally? I would like to see handguns banned for all but those who have a special need for them, like they are delivering large amounts of money for their job. I would like to see weapons that resemble assault rifles be banned, even though they are sold only in semiautomatic mode, not automatic mode. I would leave the other rifles and shotguns, (yes, I know the latest school shooting was by shotgun but he was mimicking actions taken using semiauto assault style weapons), alone for hunting and personal protection.
Glennn

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 10:06 am
@revelette1,
An automatic rife fires about 15 rounds per second. A semiautomatic rife with a bump stock fires about 7.5 rounds per second. So, no, the Las Vegas shooter did not turn his rifles into automatic weapons.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+tube+of+automatic+weapon+firing&view=detail&mid=95CC08F4A9E9909CBA7F95CC08F4A9E9909CBA7F&FORM=VIRE

Quote:
I know a bait when I see one. The one you refer was the first one I came across in seconds, didn't even check it out. The were plenty more where that come and more other people can easily find.

You provided a video that you say shows how easy it is to convert a semiautomatic rifle to an automatic rifle, and you even make a comment about how easy it was to find such a video. When I ask you to explain how the video shows what you said it shows, you accuse me baiting you. It is not my problem that you "didn't even check it out" to make sure you weren't being taken by propaganda.

Now go ahead and easily find a video that supports your claim.

Glennn

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 10:16 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
I would like to see handguns banned for all but those who have a special need for them

So you don't want anyone to have a handgun for personal home protection. That leaves people at a disadvantage if they face a burglar or worse. How do justify that position?
Quote:
I would like to see weapons that resemble assault rifles be banned

This is silly, as it is based on . . . nothing.
Quote:
I would leave the other rifles and shotguns alone for hunting and personal protection.

Why have you excluded handguns? Explain your reasoning for allowing rifles and shotguns, but excluding handguns.
revelette1

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 10:42 am
@Glennn,
Another tactic gun nuts get into is getting all twisted up with distinctions without a discernable difference. The point with the Las Vegas shooter is that he used a feature to his gun (whatever kind it is)into a gun which can and did kill many people within a very short amount of time. Those types of features should be banned or ban riffles which could do the same function with modifications.

My point with the video was to say there is information out there for people to learn how to turn a semi assault riffle into an assault riffle. Gun enthusiast seeming love to show people their guns. The following is from motherjones. An obvious progressive website; however it does come with links. (it is an older article so the links might not work; 2012) In any event, it does explain how to turn a gun into the (commonly refer to)assault weapon.

Quote:
Slide Fire is a company that sells gun stocks that you can use with an AK-47 or an AR-15. These attachments enable accurate “controlled rapid firing,” according to the company’s website, meaning “you can shoot one round, 2 rounds…15 rounds or a full magazine,” as Jeremiah Cottle, the US Air Force vet who invented the product, told Guns America last year.

Gun enthusiasts, who have posted videos on YouTube of the Slide Fire in use, seem to love the product. “It’s just like an M-16!” the shooter in the YouTube video above exclaims. “You can shoot it accurately…or if you want to have fun, you can just spray the **** out of everything.” Survivalists also love the product. “If the gun-grabbers and Brady camp gets hold of this, it’s game over,” wrote a user on a survivalist message board, referring to the Brady Campaign to Stop Gun Violence.

A gun modified with Slide Fire “fires as a machine gun would,” explains David Coulson, a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, the federal government’s gun regulator—but, he adds, that doesn’t make it a machine gun.

That’s because, despite enabling rapid fire that mimics a fully automatic weapon, Slide Fire doesn’t appear to violate the production ban in the National Firearms Act. The law only regulates weapons that are designed to shoot “automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading.” The way the Slide Fire works, as Cottle explained to Guns America, makes it easier for semi-automatic gun owners to do what they’ve been doing anyway: “bump firing,” which is where you simulate automatic firing by rocking the gun against the trigger finger. (This practice can also lead to highly inaccurate shooting.)

The Slide Fire helps shooters increase their accuracy and number of rounds—without actually firing automatically. “You actively fire every round, and if you stop pushing forward or you take your finger off the trigger the gun stops firing. It just helps you fire the gun in semiautomatic very fast,” Cottle told the magazine.

A letter from the ATF on Slide Fire’s website certifies the part’s legality for exactly that reason. According to the letter, Slide Fire told ATF that the stock “is intended to assist persons whose hands have limited mobility.” So, basically, if you are missing a hand and need to fire a gun like Capone, the Slide Fire is for you.

MotherJones

[Not to mention illegal kits which turns a gun into a machine gun; people determined to do it can do it, they might just get caught. ]

So what we are talking about is if a gun can shoot multiple rounds without bumping against the trigger finger, then it is an assault weapon. But if get a bump stock and you can achieve the same effect, it is still not an assault weapon because if you let off the trigger finger and quit bumping (whatever) it stops firing.

I have a question for people who are so afraid of having their precious guns taken away. Don't you care about people who are getting killed by these guns with these modifications? What is the harm to your rights to ban those modification parts (whatever they may be.)
coldjoint

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 11:19 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
[Not to mention illegal kits which turns a gun into a machine gun; people determined to do it can do it, they might just get caught. ]

People can also turn fertilizer into bombs. Pressure cookers too. None of those are really illegal until they are used to kill.
revelette1

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 12:15 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
People can also turn fertilizer into bombs.

A really irrelevant statement. You can use fertilizer to nourish your crops and plants and flowers. What other use are those kits except to turn guns into assault weapons (whatever term is accepted here)? Can you use the kit for another purpose?
coldjoint

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 12:34 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Can you use the kit for another purpose?

Everything can be used for different purposes.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 02:21 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Of course it is, if a regular riffle can be made into an assault weapon, then clearly those parts which make up the parts that make an assault weapon out of a riffle should be discontinued and banned.
I'm guessing that you really mean to refer to machine guns. Assault weapons are just ordinary guns with harmless cosmetic features that there is no justification for banning.

revelette1 wrote:
So should any type of a weapon, not used in police and/or military, which has large capacity magazine features, which either come with it or can be built into it, should also be banned.
Since large magazines can be designed to fit any gun that takes detachable magazines, that would effectively ban most ordinary guns.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 02:22 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
The overwhelming portion of knife activities are non-lethal, such as opening letters or buttering your English muffin.The overwhelming portion of gun activities have to do with performing or at least threatening lethal action. I don't know of anyone who uses a gun to open a letter or butter their English muffin, do you?
Technically self defense is about incapacitation and not lethality, although lethality is certainly a major potential side effect when guns are used.

How many people were killed in the biathlon this past Winter Olympics?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 02:23 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Personally? I would like to see handguns banned for all but those who have a special need for them, like they are delivering large amounts of money for their job.
That would be unconstitutional. Americans have the right to have them regardless of need.

Blickers wrote:
I would like to see weapons that resemble assault rifles be banned, even though they are sold only in semiautomatic mode, not automatic mode. I would leave the other rifles and shotguns, (yes, I know the latest school shooting was by shotgun but he was mimicking actions taken using semiauto assault style weapons), alone for hunting and personal protection.
Can you provide a good reason to justify banning a gun that resembles a military assault rifle even when all of its functions meet with your approval? Or is this just an effort to violate people's rights for fun?
0 Replies