Guns: how much longer will it take ....

revelette1

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 07:38 am
Quote:
After nearly every school shooting, right-wing media scramble to find reasons why guns should not be blamed for gun violence.

After 10 people were killed during a mass shooting at a high school in Santa Fe, TX, pro-gun proselytizers in the conservative media sphere insisted that gun safety laws would not have prevented the shooting and instead pointed to other aspects of American culture that they said required reform. Here are some of the excuses right-wing pundits offered for the May 18 shooting:

Fox News guest Howard Safir suggested that the Common Core curriculum may be responsible.

Fox host Jon Scott faulted “violent and realistic video games.”

NRA President-elect Oliver North blamed the “culture of violence” in the media and Ritalin.

NRATV’s Grant Stinchfield said, “Taking God out of our culture … is at least partly to blame for the violence we see today.”

NRA spokesperson Dana Loesch said schools have insufficient security and proposed redirecting funding from Planned Parenthood and “double locking doors” as possible solutions.

Loesch also doubled down on Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick’s argument that “too many entrances and too many exits” were increasing the risk for school shootings.

Fox’s Jason Chaffetz placed responsibility on mental health issues and "politically correct culture."

Conservative radio host Buck Sexton suggested that a lack of guns on campus may be to blame.

Conservative radio host and MSNBC commentator Hugh Hewitt said the school’s lax policy on trench coats may bear some responsibility.

NRA board member Ted Nugent blamed school shootings on unhealthy diets.

Conservative commentator Tomi Lahren attributed the rise in mass shootings in part to “the breakdown of the American family.”

Far-right conspiracy theorists suggested antifa might have inspired the shooting.

In February, after the school shooting in Parkland, FL, claimed 17 lives, conservative media took the very same approach:

Fox News contributor Tammy Bruce claimed that talking about firearms doesn’t get to the “core issue” of “the human condition.” She and the hosts of Fox & Friends also blamed drugs, virtual reality, and video games for the shooting.

Radio host Michael Savage tweeted that “liberal judges and the ACLU” were to blame.

Fox guest Lou Palumbo blamed “the media, the entertainment industry,” and “the lack of parenting.”

Fox News contributor Kevin Jackson blamed “Leftist-run schools” and falsely claimed that the shooter was linked to antifa.

Fox News host Laura Ingraham blamed “mental illness”and “broken or damaged families” for the shooting on her show.

The Gateway Pundit suggested that the shooter supposedly being a registered Democrat was a factor. (He was not actually a registered Democrat; the blog was forced to correct the story.)

Townhall’s Kurt Schlichter blamed the FBI’s Russia probe for the shooting, tweeting, “The FBI was too busy trying to undermine the president to bother with doing it's (sic) freaking job.”

The Daily Caller’s Peter Hasson suggested that the shooting was related to the shooter growing up without a father.

Liberty One TV’s Joe Biggs (formerly of Infowars) tweeted that the FBI was “too busy chasing Trump/Russia nothing burgers” to have prevented the shooting.

Pamela Geller falsely claimed that the shooter was connected to antifa and Islamic terrorist groups.

Laura Loomer shared a fake photo of the shooter and speculated that he was a “radical leftist” with potential ties to antifa and Islamic resistance groups.

Infowars claimed that the “MSM” (mainstream media) was “already covering it up” that the shooter was likely a “Democratic voter” and had clothing “similar to the style worn by ISIS fighters in Syria.”

But as others have pointed out, most of the phenomena listed above are also present in other countries that don’t experience nearly as much gun violence as the United States does.

MM

Which is why the whole gun debate has become another exercise in futility. However, all these kids who are in the line of fire, will be able to vote, or in some cases already are.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Blickers

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 10:33 am
@Glennn,
Quote Glenn:
Quote:
Really? So every murderer is gun zealot?
Maybe not, but 68% of murderers did it by using a gun.
Source
coldjoint

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 12:16 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I was a leftist nutcase when I was 20. I still turned out OK.

At 20 I couldn't find my butthole with radar, nutcase is an understatement, but I never gave up on this country and do not intend to.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 01:24 pm
Quote:
In spite of what officials and the media claim, when a person is stripped of their constitutional rights, albeit temporarily, without being given the chance to make their own case based on what can be entirely arbitrary accusations, this is the removal of due process.

Now you know.
http://www.captainsjournal.com/2018/05/24/ron-paul-republicans-and-democrats-teaming-up-for-federal-gun-confiscation-bill/
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 01:53 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:

And the ones who used a knife is a knife zealot? And the ones who beat someone to death is a fist zealot? Okay, I see where you're coming from.
vikorr

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 03:45 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Some of those kids, more than MSM will ever admit, support the 2nd amendment and have the common sense to realize the shooter, not the gun, are at fault. Those kids will vote too.
The shooter, not the gun, bears responsibility for the decision to shoot. The gun contributed to the shooters ability to kill in such a way (Any tool used to kill does the same, it's just the ability & efficiency of the tool <to kill> that is in question)

That by the way, is not a statement either way, as both sides shout blame (the rifle or the shooter) - it's a correction to this nonsense culture of 'blame', rather than responsbility & contributing factors. 'Blame' stops:
- the recognition of each contributing factor to the event
- accurate debate
- problem solving
As a general statement, Blame tends to keep issues alive, as problem solving almost always becomes flawed or non-existent.
Glennn

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 04:22 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
The gun contributed to the shooters ability to kill in such a way (Any tool used to kill does the same, it's just the ability & efficiency of the tool <to kill> that is in question)

And now that you've questioned the "gun," what is your verdict?
vikorr

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 07:26 pm
@Glennn,
To ask a question like that means you obviously didn't understand what I said.

What I said was very straight forward, unless you have an agenda. It doesn't result in questions like the one you asked.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 07:42 pm
Consider the case of Tommy Robinson.....

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/33583444_2080065218985356_6054018555630845952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ceeee6fcc77c8d1031c4f02af206700e&oe=5B90F638
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 08:45 pm
@vikorr,
Very well, then. Your post was intended to mean nothing at all. I will treat it as such.
Blickers

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 09:04 pm
@Glennn,
Quote Blickers:
Quote:

Quote Glennn:
Quote:
And the ones who used a knife is a knife zealot? And the ones who beat someone to death is a fist zealot?
Probably a much lower percentage than the gun zealots who murder, due to the obvious fact that most knives are sold to cut food and open boxes and everyone in the world has a fist. To obtain a gun, however, you have to go out and buy an instrument built specifically to shoot something. It's not like you just happen to have a gun around the house because you like carpentry and just use it to make dowel holes.

Now think hard. Do you understand where I'm coming from now?

Glennn

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 09:25 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
Now think hard. Do you understand where I'm coming from now?

I think so. You believe that all murderers are gun zealots. So you've come up with another name for a murderer. Okay. But what do you want to do about murderers who use guns? Do you want to ban guns? Do you want to ban only some guns? What are your thoughts?
oralloy

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 09:49 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Probably a much lower percentage than the gun zealots who murder, due to the obvious fact that most knives are sold to cut food and open boxes and everyone in the world has a fist. To obtain a gun, however, you have to go out and buy an instrument built specifically to shoot something. It's not like you just happen to have a gun around the house because you like carpentry and just use it to make dowel holes.
People buy guns for purposes other than murder.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 10:28 pm
Tommy Robinson.....

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/33583444_2080065218985356_6054018555630845952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ceeee6fcc77c8d1031c4f02af206700e&oe=5B90F638
vikorr

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 11:17 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Very well, then. Your post was intended to mean nothing at all. I will treat it as such.
Hmmm. You take a post (as a whole), that talks about the difference between:

- blame; and
- taking/according personal responsibility for decisions, and analysing contributing factors; and

- how the above two different approaches affect problem solving; and

You remove one part from context, to somehow take it somehow as a secretive comment on guns, despite me saying it is not a comment either way. Had you understood what was written, you would not have done so because it is both:
- mostly irrelevant to the idea (blue text) as a whole, and
- was mostly already implicitly answered, being:

Quote:
The gun contributed to the shooters ability to kill in such a way (Any tool used to kill does the same, it's just the ability & efficiency of the tool <to kill> that is in question)
Surely you don't need me to explicitly explain the ability & efficiency of guns to kill? And besides, as I mentioned, it's almost irrelevant to the main point (see the blue text).

Hence why I said, if you had understood, you would not have asked such a question.
Blickers

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 07:48 am
@Glennn,
Quote Glenn:
Quote:
You believe that all murderers are gun zealots. So you've come up with another name for a murderer. Okay.
I believe that gun murderers as a group have a higher interest in guns than knife murderers as a group have in knives, owing to the fact that knives have many varied everyday uses and guns don't.
Blickers

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 07:51 am
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
People buy guns for purposes other than murder.

True, but outside of a tiny percentage of investment collectors, everybody who buys a gun intends to shoot something. Guns were invented to be lethal, not so knives, baseball bats or tire irons.