Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:26 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
I don't think anyone is saying that you can't have a gun.
That is the goal of the gun control movement.

They think it is a lot of fun to violate rights, so they want to keep banning more and more guns just for the joy that they get out of violating people's rights.

In the end they want to ban them all.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:27 pm
@vikorr,
It appears that Philipstown, New York has determined that safe-storage of guns will be mandated. However, the gun does not have to be locked up when the owner is home. Therefore, there would be no random home inspections, and the gun would be readily available to the owner should they need it.

You okay with that?
vikorr

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:30 pm
@oralloy,
Again, subjectiveness is not about making your reality what you want it to be, though you do that while saying you don't. Subjectiveness exists because:

- the brains filtration system. You do not remember everything you hear or see, only the things that have meaning. This means a lot of things that do have meaning, your brain discards, because it doesn't recognise it to have meaning. If you want to look up how short & long term memory works, then you'll probably start grasping some of this.

- your experiences, desires, emotions influence what your brain holds on to and what you discard

- your experiences, desires, and emotions influence how you interpret events

- your values and beliefs help you to decide what is right and wrong...but not everyone will agree with you what is right and wrong, because they will have different values and beliefs.

All of this is makes anything we think subjective. None of it is 'making reality what you want it to be'...unless you go that step further, and ignore the subjectiveness of life to try and create an absolute...which is what you are doing.

You even admit you have no idea what I'm talking about, having never read psychology, never attempted philosophy in this area, never apparently even seen the shades of grey in life...but not knowing anything of these things, you are certain you are right. Wilful ignorance is one of the ways that people do create their own reality.

oralloy

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:31 pm
@Agent1741,
Agent1741 wrote:
which does make me wonder where its going to end!
The endgame is very clear:

a) The gun banners will focus 100% of their energy on trying to ban pistol grips, which will undermine all of their other gun control proposals.

b) The NRA will defeat the gun banners across the board on every proposal.

c) The gun banners will break down and cry in public.

d) I will have a great deal of fun cruelly mocking their sobbing.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:31 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
So are you saying I don't have the right to have a gun for home defense?
Are you only reading half the things I post? I've already answered this.

I have no general issue with gun ownership.
vikorr

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:37 pm
@Glennn,
Why would it matter if I'm okay with that? Each country and state to their own.

Perhaps you have misunderstand the gist of a number of my posts - which is that nothing (including "gun ownership = freedom") is an absolute truth. All truths are subjective.

oralloy

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:38 pm
@vikorr,
No. Reality does not change according to my desires. Neither does it change according to others' desires.

If someone believes something that isn't true, that is not a matter of reality being subjective. That just means that they are wrong.
Glennn

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:39 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
I have no general issue with gun ownership.

No general issue? Go on . . .
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:40 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
All truths are subjective.

Even yours?
vikorr

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:41 pm
@Glennn,
Rolling Eyes why should I be exempt
Glennn

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:44 pm
@vikorr,
Exactly!
vikorr

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:45 pm
@Glennn,
If you had been able to understand the things I wrote, you would know that I had to be included, so you're not precisely scoring points here.

Presumably your line is 'Your belief that all truths are subjective, must according to you, be subjective'...which just goes to prove that all truths are subjective.
vikorr

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:50 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
No. Reality does not change according to my desires
Hold on, are you talking about the reality that goes on around you, or the reality in your head? Because I'm talking about the 'reality' in your mind.
Glennn

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:54 pm
@vikorr,
It appears that you're attempting to turn this discussion into psychological analysis. So you're not exactly scoring points here.
oralloy

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 07:54 pm
@vikorr,
Reality means what goes on around us.

I'm unsure what "reality in my head" even means, other than my perception of the reality that goes on around us.
vikorr

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 08:03 pm
@oralloy,
Right, that might have been one of the things at the core of this problem. How do you know what goes on around you? If you reread over those things I wrote, they were all about this topic. Actual reality may be objective, but what we remember of it is very flawed (ie a place for subjectivity to creep in) because of how brain takes in information, and the things that influence what information it takes in.

The meaning that we get out of events though, is entirely subjective influenced:
- first by the filtration system in our brains;
- and 2ndly by the other things I said.

Meaning of course, can come to be considered truths. But not everyone agrees on the same truths. Different cultures have different truths. Different individuals have different truths. And it isn't always necessary that one is right and the other wrong.
vikorr

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 08:09 pm
@Glennn,
Ouch, that hurts Rolling Eyes

This philosophical stuff is for oralloy, who because he believes 'guns=freedom' is an immutable truth, tries to slap other people over the head with it. He can always stop doing that. He can also choose to stop replying. It's up to him.
oralloy

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 08:09 pm
@vikorr,
If someone believes something that is incorrect, I don't consider that "their personal truth".

I consider that "them being wrong".
vikorr

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 08:10 pm
@oralloy,
So would I.

But I doubt we are talking about the same thing.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 08:22 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
This philosophical stuff is for oralloy, who because he believes 'guns=freedom' is an immutable truth, tries to slap other people over the head with it. He can always stop doing that. He can also choose to stop replying. It's up to him.

In this case, freedom equals the right to have a gun for self protection. Do you care to argue that point?