im moving to ohio.. any advice?

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 09:17 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
Look at it this way, OG - read all the posts here, then think of the people behind the advice. Who seems to be happy, healthy, successful and sane? Now whose advice do you think you should follow?

That must be some good **** you are smoking, you who thinks it is possible to size up people you have never met. Or is it acid that you are on? Sounds more like acid to me.......
Green Witch

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 09:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
you who thinks it is possible to size up people you have never met

So you don't think it's possible to get to know anyone through written exchange? Have you ever read the letters of Vincent Van Gogh, Abigail &John Adams or Virginia Woolf? I think you can learn a lot about people just by reading what they write. In this computer format I even get to ask questions to clarify my impressions.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 09:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
you who thinks it is possible to size up people you have never met.

I suspect many of us here know the real you better than the people with whom you interact in real life.
Gargamel

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 08:41 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Yeah bro, if you think the Crips and the Bloods are evil- just wait until you meet the bad boys of Southern Ohio.
Check out the scary headlines in today's Caldwell Ohio paper
The Daily-Jeff.

Ha!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 08:57 am
@DrewDad,
True dat.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 10:34 am
Cudo’s to you, OG! You’re trying to make a better life for yourself. And no matter what state that is in, you deserve a big pat on the back. Keep a positive attitude and no matter where you go, you’ll make it. I have no idea what Hawk's problem is, but take him with a grain of salt. You'll find some of the friendliest people you ever wanna meet down in the sticks of southern Ohio. Will you find any bad-asses? Of course. You won't go anywhere and NOT find them.

As for unemployment, it is what is right now. State to state….it’s actually lower than Nevada.

To go one step farther, about 25% of the counties in Ohio, saw their unemployment rate go down last month. Mostly due to factories that had been on temporary shut downs and are now up to speed again. There are jobs to be found, but it sounds like you already have one lined up. I can understand the county you are going to, having a higher unemployment rate than other counties of Ohio. It’s just the way it is down there. Not that this really pertains to you, but up in the Northern part, where I am, Whirlpool just hired almost 300 people. Cooper is gearing up to hire about the same. Ball Metal is supposed to be hiring, come June. I talked to a guy not too long ago that works in Findlay and they just started working 50 " 60 hours a week at the factory he’s at. It’s not all doom and gloom like Hawk wants you to believe. Down where you are at, look at the glass as half full and not half empty. There are 85% of the people working! Not to mention that you have a job lined up, anyhow.

No matter where you’re at in Ohio, and no matter what direction you go, you’re going to find something to do. From the flat lands of Northern Ohio to the rolling hills of Southern Ohio.

It you get to feeling like you miss the “night life” ……there’s always Columbus. Just about anything you want to do, can be done there. Club 185 is about the best “singles” bar, IMO. Be careful in the bars around campus if you decide to go there. They can be rowdy.

Here's a few of my favorite places in Ohio. Most of these places have camping facilities close-by if you like to camp. I grew up doing that, and I doubt I will ever stop loving it.

Wayne National Forest - Lots of hiking and fishing. It’s beautiful! And not too far from you.

Then there's Old Man’s Cave, Cedar Falls, Cantwell Cliffs - Around Logan, Ohio.
http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/images/full/oh/voldmanscave16.jpg

Not too far from me you have Cedar Point. Roller coaster capital of the world if you like that kind of thing. I grew up with it in my blood! Even worked there a couple of summers when I was in school. Total blast!

http://www.griffith.ws/InFlightPhotos/CedarPoint1.jpg

Lake Erie " Hundreds of miles of shorelines and some of the most beautiful sunsets you ever wanna see. There’s also miles of protected sandy beaches. But most of all, if you wanna catch some walleye or perch , you won’t come home empty-handed.

http://k41.pbase.com/u15/uzgroup/upload/11169556.LkErieSunset12July02.jpg

Of course if you go to Lake Erie, there’s always the islands. South Bass Island, in Put-In-Bay, can’t be beat! Of course you have to get to the islands, and the best way to do that is by the Jet Express. That runs about $25 / round trip. But well worth it.

http://www.griffith.ws/InFlightPhotos/SouthBassIsland2.jpg

Lots to do in the Cincy area, too.

Anyhoo ..... good luck and be proud of yourself!

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 03:09 pm
I’ve lived in Ohio most of my life except for 6 or 7 years in New England. I spent most of the time in N.E. Ohio but know practically all of the state. I can answer any specific questions that you have. Just so you know what you are going to encounter:

The area you are going to is VERY rural. There is really no Ohio city of any size within a 90 minute drive. It’s over an hour to Wheeling WV. It’s at least 90 minutes to Akron and another 40 to Cleveland. You will be much more likely to head to Parkersburg or Wheeling for nightlife rather than N.E Ohio.

There is very little work anywhere near this area. It is good you have some set up. The Federal Government considers this and surrounding counties part of Appalachia (extreme rural poverty). I know people who taught in public schools in that area 15 years ago, even then the lack of funds was so great if you had a relative in the same grade you shared text books!

You will not be in an area free of drugs. Meth. Labs are a curse in this area of the state and it is one of the largest pot growing areas in Ohio. There are also gangs. It is infinitely safer than Vegas or Cleveland for that matter.

The area is quiet and pretty. There is a LOT of outdoor stuff to do there and nearby. Like anything else it is what you make of it. Just remember what Buckaroo Bonsai said: “No matter where you go…there you are.”

Good Luck

Oh yes. lots of great winding state higways for you bike!!! The trip to the Ohio River is very nice.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 04:33 pm
Quote:
One more item. The Ohio State Police have zero tolerence for speeders, and enforce every law to the tee. Be careful.

Since you will be an Ohio resident and so NOT be driving a vehicle with Michigan plates you shouldn't have any trouble. We tell people from Michigan that it happens to everyone. They aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. Wink
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 08:14 pm
@JustBrooke,
Quote:
I have no idea what Hawk's problem is, but take him with a grain of salt. You'll find some of the friendliest people you ever wanna meet down in the sticks of southern Ohio
My problem with OHIO is that it is an economic backwater with little chance of getting over the loss of the steel industry during my lifetime. The latest census figures are out, and OHIO is the biggest loser along with NY, losing 2 house seats. They have lost 5 in the last 30 years, with only NY doing worse with seven loses, as people vacate the state for some place where it is more possible to live a decent life.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/census-seat-switch/

OG seems to be gone now, last post I saw he indicated that he was about to check out of life, but it is doubtful that moving to OHIO would have been an improvement over Las Vegas.
sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 08:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
It's a big state, with a lot of variety within in. I live near Columbus and it's really thriving in a lot of ways. I've lived many places, including Minnesota, Wisconsin, California, and Illinois (as well as a brief stint in England), and I feel very lucky to live where I do now. It's a fantastic area.

I was downtown recently and they had some promotional thingie showing on a screen by the Nationwide Arena, it was pretty impressive actually. #1 zoo, #1 children's museum, #1 college president, there were a few other #1's but I can't remember them all. (#1 in America.)

Couldn't find that rundown, but here's another that gives a flavor:

Quote:
The New York Times in 2007 dubbed Columbus a Midwestern-style capital,[15] Forbes Magazine in 2008 ranked the city as the no. 1 up-and-coming tech city in the nation,[16] and BusinessWeek in 2009 named the city as the best place to raise a family in the country.[17] The city was ranked by Money Magazine as the 8th best big city in the U.S. to live in 2006, and a top ten city by Relocate America in 2010.[18][19] In 2007, fDi Magazine ranked the city no. 3 in the U.S. for cities of the future,[20] and the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium was rated no. 1 in 2009 by USA Travel Guide.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus,_Ohio
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:11 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
It's a big state, with a lot of variety within in. I live near Columbus and it's really thriving in a lot of ways.
That's great, but no city can outrun the fundamental facts.....pre crash the situation was moving in the wrong direction, with Franklin county population up 8% 2000-2007 with jobs down 5%. It does not take a PHD to realize that long term this does not work.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/39/39049.html

The 2008 poverty rate of above 15% against an ohio 13.2% and a US 13.3% shows the same problem....more info here
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:zwM0ih1Wzr0J:www.communityresearchpartners.org/uploads/publications//Bobbie.ppt+franklin+co+ohio+poverty+rate&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShHZ9en6_Le4-3Fi00PMNn54F_4h6sgcuxY4EVNNzjrfU-PmpsIsI24HKmtAeoKWxB4QmgWxdG1Sq3i5CJ1I9vIgFHcvRqjS6EMBcPJx2ZJhU_aKDLnHYiMSIjiPFT9r1LqxvFR&sig=AHIEtbR3NnglV8IPeXpauZC1ivUuMlowcg

and then there is this
Quote:
The economic downturn pushed tens of thousands of additional Franklin County residents below the poverty line last year. The percentage of county residents living in poverty shot to 18.2 percent in 2009, from 15 percent the year before.

http://www.allbusiness.com/society-social-assistance-lifestyle/social-economic-status/15139189-1.html

against the us average
Quote:
U.S. poverty rate rising to its highest level in 15 years in 2009 and a record 43.6 million Americans officially labeled poor.

The Census Bureau, in its annual report on income, poverty and health insurance, said the poverty rate hit 14.3 percent in 2009
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/sep/16/us-poverty-rate-hits-15-year-high/

one year before the county was 2.8% above the US poverty rate, then it moved to 3.9% above....Houston, we have a problem here....
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
Good news though, march 2009-march 2010 Franklin county only lost 1.8% of its jobs, versus 2.7% for OHIO and 2.1% for USA, so things are getting worse a little more slowly than the national average, and you have the rest of the major counties in the state beat, I guess that is something to crow about. http://www.bls.gov/ro5/qcewoh.htm
0 Replies