im moving to ohio.. any advice?

DrewDad

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 07:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Good wishes may be banal, but that does not mean they should not be expressed.

If you've some issue with me, spit it out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 07:15 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Yeah, that was my first response too, when I looked at a map I get it though. Akron is directly north from Caldwell on 77, and getting to Columbus is similarly simple (but turn left at 70 instead of continuing on to Akron on 77).

So even though Akron and Columbus aren't close to each other, they're the most obvious large cities if you live in Caldwell (Columbus is the closer of the two by 5 minutes if you believe Google maps).
sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 07:22 am
@OGIONIK,
Just trying to figure this part out:

OGIONIK wrote:

my friend acquired some land..
he says we can stay there for free for a while, and he can get us jobs, his mom owns a business.

OGIONIK wrote:

im looking at some apprenticeship programs out there and i signed up for ohio means jobs.

but i would appreciate any job leads.

So the job thing is more a possibility than that there ARE jobs waiting for you?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 08:01 am
Just go already.

Use community organisations to network yourself into the wokforce.
service clubs, voluntary, community, arts and/or charitable organisations.
Be prepared to put in before you get anything back.
Keep your history to yourself You might say "I've had a pretty tough time but thtas all in th past" and just leave it at that.
If you go blowing off you'll lose cred.

learn to fence.

Do they have farm fences in Ohio?

If the population is aging that lends itself to garden and maintenace services. Start a lawn mowing round.

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 08:10 am
learn to fence? Is he going to become a crime fighter?
Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 08:21 am
@sozobe,
Sozobe: Just out of curiosity, might you have missed my earlier replies about the distances from both Caldwell to Akron and Caldwell to Columbus?
dadpad

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 08:25 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Fences are what separate the sheep from the goats.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 08:45 am
@Ragman,
I don't think so. My "first response" appeared here before you posted anything. Then I was bringing bipolarbear up to date.

(I don't agree that 1 hr 40 minutes is a prohibitively long drive btw.)
Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 08:54 am
@sozobe,
My point back there was...that he wasn't aware of how far apart these cities were. I was explaining that they were not exactly neighboring cities and Caldwell was not in either metro Columbus OR Akron.
sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 08:58 am
@Ragman,
He didn't say it WAS in metro Columbus or Akron.

I think it's reasonable to say that an hour and forty minutes is "near." I have a friend who lives here and commutes to Cleveland for work -- a similar drive. (Not daily, he stays there for part of the week. But weekly.)

Note, I'm not saying that I think Ogionik should work in Columbus or Akron while living in Caldwell -- but I don't think he is either. He was first just saying about where it was, geographically (and it makes more sense than it seemed to at first), then I was talking about it in terms of whether he could get to Columbus or Akron on a weekend when he's bored, for example.
Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:01 am
@sozobe,
And I was explaining that Caldwell OH is pretty remote and rural..as compared to what he was used to in big cities and Las Vegas.
sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:03 am
@Ragman,
Yes, I know. And he's indicated he knows this too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:08 am
@sozobe,
(My friend lives here and commutes to Cincinnati, not Cleveland. His commute is about an hour and 45 minutes.)
Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:13 am
@sozobe,
yes..as I wrote earlier..I stated all this in my reply.
OGIONIK

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:32 am
@Ragman,
A "job" isnt necessarily a "good job" so id rather get into an apprenticeship that pays 11-18 salary while training than cashier that pays 6.75

0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:35 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

And I was explaining that Caldwell OH is pretty remote and rural..as compared to what he was used to in big cities and Las Vegas.

I think im completely sick of the city.

meth/heroine/crack/coke heads

bums/hustlers/gangsters/family

cannot trust anyone.

no tree/greenery/water(well lake mead, which is artificial >.<)
summers so hot u ******* die or burn in like 1 hour.

winters that have gay ass winds one day, and then the next your getting sun burnt.

everyones addicted to something, gambling, lying, drugs,stealing

theres no quiet, there so much godamn smog, everyone is fake, everyTHING is fake. did i mention the sky is yellow/orange/grey?

this is a gilded city of lies.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:41 am
@OGIONIK,
I don't disagree with your assessment of Las Vegas.

I think people are worried that you're swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction.

My wife and I found moving from Austin to Lubbock (still a major Texas city, but 1/4 the size of Austin) to be quite a culture shock.

Moving from Las Vegas to a tiny rural town? Big, BIG, BIG change.

On the upside, you're young, unattached, and can afford to take some risks at this point in your life. I hope it works out for you.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:43 am
BTW, I think you'll find that the vast majority of ponds and lakes are artificial.

Also, I suspect that Ohio water, like Nebraska water, is tinted a dark, muddy brown because of the tannin.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:56 am
@DrewDad,
I'm just reading Umberto Eco on what he calls Hyper Reality - much talk of copies and fakes and the culture of those. He mentions Las Vegas..

Anyway, I just checked and there is a library in Caldwell, which means there may or may not be computer access there. I used the Albuquerque library - before I moved here - when I was house sitting for Dys and Diane for some weeks and their modem went kerflui. In that case, there were two or three rows of computers for public use in the library, but I assume a smaller library would have fewer. Still, it's a possibility for access besides counting on friends.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:58 am
@OGIONIK,
I echo exactly the words and sentiment of what Drew Dad just wrote. We are all here trying in our own ways to say we care and are trying to help you. Some of us do this a little more ham-handedly than others.

Ogionik: I now understand a lot better what your objections are to your lifestyle is in Vegas. I'd want to move quickly too. The decisions (and the way you make them) in Vegas hopefully won't follow you to OH or anywhere else you decide to go. Read what DrewDad just wrote about the drastic pendulum swing of a vastly different lifestyle. There is no easy way out of that dealy lifestyle. After a month or so, the new lifestyle in OH could get pretty tedious.

However, the bright side and MOST IMPORTANT thing is this:
you'll probably be safe and alive!