Ticomaya

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 02:06 pm
Wear sunscreen.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 02:20 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

OK..so when are you moving? Flight all booked? how are you moving your furniture and possessions? Is there any furniture where you moving to?

You asked for advice, but seem unwilling to listen to or take any of it. How will you pay for medical expenses for you...for your dog. Does new job have a medical plan?

i have no furniture.

highly doubtful they have any there either, but i sleep on a loveseat i wont care if i sleep on the floor.

how would i pay for them here? i cant.

how would i pay for them there? im not sure.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 02:20 pm
@OGIONIK,
wel;l its south aint it? rofl Razz
Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 02:38 pm
@OGIONIK,
Furthermore...projecting past the time when your not having free-rent -- when will you move out to your own place? What will the job pay you? How much of a place will you afford to rent then? Say the job pays you $10/hour...what will your rent/living expenses be? How will you drive around? You have a car? How will you pay for insurance (there's basically no public transportation out there)? What...you have no car?

Excerpt from USA Today news:

""There really is nowhere to hide in this economy," Moody's Economy.com chief economist Mark Zandi says.

"If you lose your job, it's not clear where you should move to find one or even what training or education you need to retool yourself," he says. "The hallmark of the current downturn is that it is so broad-based across industries, occupations and regions of this economy."

Workers in some states certainly will be better off than others. Employers in six states " Washington, Texas, North Dakota, Colorado, New Mexico and Nebraska " and Washington, D.C., are expected to shed less than 1% of their workers this year.

At the same time, Ohio, Missouri, Florida, Connecticut, Hawaii and Michigan are forecast to lose the greatest proportions of their states' jobs. Michigan, hit hard by a rapid decline in the U.S. automotive industry, is expected to shed more than 175,000 jobs this year, a 4.3% decline, according to Moody's Economy.com.

Nationwide, employers are expected to cut 2.7 million jobs this year after eliminating more than 2 million positions in 2008, according to Moody's Economy.com. "
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 02:39 pm
I say, "Go for it!"

Make of it what there is. Look to make something else of it if it doesn't work out. It's all life experience. Sounds like a chance to start new to me.
chai2

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 03:27 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I say, "Go for it!"

Make of it what there is. Look to make something else of it if it doesn't work out. It's all life experience. Sounds like a chance to start new to me.

Ditto that.

Ragman, I know your advice is well intended, but it leaning heavily toward the negative. How about some more balanced advice?

Life is all about working with what comes your way.

OG's not making it in Las Vegas, so he might as well not make it in Caldwell Ohio.

It's one thing to point out the possible negatives, another to make it sound like one is doomed to experience all of them.

Of all the bad things that people said were going to happen to me in my life, maybe one or two of them have come true. OG will get by. Maybe he'll discover he really likes a more rural environment, and the people, weather, and life in general.

People are good and bad everywhere, but somehow I think there would be more of the good type in Caldwell Ohio that Las Vegas Neveda.

Here, look at this guy...he looks like a decent chap, I must say...

http://www.satori-5.co.uk/word_articles/misc/lee-crock_files/image003.jpg

They've got a metal stamping machine in Caldwell....

http://media.mfg.com/mfgq_live/uploads/profiles/5598A_241020.JPG

There's a mini storage place out on Route 821....

http://www.salingsministorage.com/images%5CDSC00133.jpg

You can eat and get gas at the same location...

http://www.noblecountyohio.com/images/subwaysunoco.jpg

Wow, Lee Crock has his own fountain of youth place...

http://www.energycleaner.org/images/Lodge.jpg

I wish OG good luck with all of this.
Really.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 03:43 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Ditto that.

Ragman, I know your advice is well intended, but it leaning heavily toward the negative. How about some more balanced advice?

OG's not making it in Las Vegas, so he might as well not make it in Caldwell Ohio.

You don't move to an economically depressed lightly populated rural area when one is trying to start over. Only a career or education and then a career is going to fix OG's life, both are far more difficult to obtain in Noble County Ohio then in Las Vegas.

If he is going to be a drug dealer he would still be better off in Las Vegas, because personal connections are necessary to be a successful dealer in rural areas. In LAs Vegas they care much less about who the seller is.
chai2

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 03:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Ditto that.

You don't move to an economically depressed lightly populated rural area when one is trying to start over. Only a career or education and then a career is going to fix OG's life, both are far more difficult to obtain in Noble County Ohio then in Las Vegas.

If he is going to be a drug dealer he would still be better off in Las Vegas, because personal connections are necessary to be a successful dealer in rural areas. In LAs Vegas they care much less about who the seller is.

Shut up.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 03:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
horseshit.

og's life is his to live. He's young. Very young. If starting over in a rural setting gives him a chance to get his feet on the ground and he begins to build a basis for moving on (or perhaps finding that he enjoys where he is and doesn't need to move on) then he's done some "fixing" on his own.

You infer that only those with a "career" can be happy and/or successful while staying on this side of the law. I strongly disagree.
chai2

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 03:49 pm
Oh wait, I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to say that.

What I mean to say was....Shut up you freak.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 04:00 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
You infer that only those with a "career" can be happy and/or successful while staying on this side of the law. I strongly disagree.

I infer that he has no money, and no demonstrated ability to get money legally, and that money is required in life. He can either improve his earning potential or else marry money, both he can do better in Las Vegas.

As I read it Ragman is concerned because he knows that it is rarely possible to transplant a city boy into the country successfully, and he is correct about that. To have any faith in OG's plan we would need to hear about how he has visited the country lifestyle for a few weeks and loved it. He would still be in for a shock once he moved there, but there would be some hope that he could adapt.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 04:03 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Oh wait, I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to say that.
What I mean to say was....Shut up you freak.

As you know I don't care about being seen as strange, I care only about being right. If you want to get my attention then show me how I am wrong.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 04:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
i doubt i will miss vegas at all.

oh, in vegas i hang out with very few people, look for work, and walk across town to walk my dog in a decrepit urban crackhead environment.

in ohio ill be looking for work and living with my dog, in a country environment. woot!
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 04:38 pm
Not everyone is going to live their lives according to the accepted norm, whatever that is.

Yes, OG seems implusive and not all together together. So what.

I think this sounds like it might be what you are looking for, and if it isn't, then I'm sure you will find another way out of Ohio. I think you are highly motivated and creative. You might meander a while longer before you find a path that will make you happy, but once you find it, that's when you will find the drive to make it.

I might sound all fortune cookie-ish. Sorry about that, I'm a little groggy on my first day off in 12.

I just don't believe in people living their lives according to the way everyone else has. I don't believe in being sheep. I think some people are happier finding their own ways.

Be successful according to your own description, not everyone else's.
You got the smarts to get you there.

If you take the long way round, it just makes for more interesting stories to tell when you are older.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 04:46 pm
@caribou,
i think ill enjoy a country environment.

my friends go fishing every weekend, there is a lake 20 minutes away.

for me, even if im broke, thats heaven.

dirt and red rocks and mountains in the background get very boring.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 04:51 pm
I'll interested in reading of your further adventures.
Sorry I don't hasve any advice about doggies in flight. Do you already have a sturdy crate? Or can you borrow an Airlines?

I think people should remember that you are asking for moving advice not asking whether you should move.

And not everyone needs money to be happy. You know that better than most!
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 04:54 pm
@caribou,
caribou wrote:
I just don't believe in people living their lives according to the way everyone else has. I don't believe in being sheep. I think some people are happier finding their own ways.

http://images0.cafepress.com/product/12554220v2_150x150_Front.jpg

Best of luck to you, Ogoniuk. You're young enough to take chances. Don't wake up in 30 years and wonder "What if?"
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 04:56 pm
Oh, and since it's a northern state? Get yourself some long johns Very Happy
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 04:59 pm
@caribou,
Quote:
I think people should remember that you are asking for moving advice not asking whether you should move

This is a2k, we don't always deliver the words that are ordered. Let's not get behind this idea that we are obligated to tell people what they want to hear.
JPB

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 04:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

As I read it Ragman is concerned because he knows that it is rarely possible to transplant a city boy into the country successfully, and he is correct about that.

My second "horseshit" of the evening.

What Ragman "knows" and what you presume to know are immaterial to what can possibly be the best move OG has ever considered.

Quote:
To have any faith in OG's plan we would need to hear about how he has visited the country lifestyle for a few weeks and loved it. He would still be in for a shock once he moved there, but there would be some hope that he could adapt.

Faith? Holy Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, give me a break!

OG -- I'm going to stop talking to assholes who think they know more about what's best for you than you do. I go back to my original response...

Go for it!!!