im moving to ohio.. any advice?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:02 pm
@OGIONIK,
Advice?

Sell the chopper, buy a beater car for half of what you get for the bike. Use the balance of the money for gas/food, get yourself and your dog to Ohio. A car will be much more useful at the Kentucky/Ohio border than a bike. It's only got good bike weather, well, not a huge part of the year. If your friends who are taking their bikes want you to put some of their stuff in your car, get $20 for gas money from them. Then you'll have the $ you need to buy some warm clothes for the autumn.

You're considering heading to a lovely if not warm part of the country. Tai Chi was right about the long johns. Especially if you end up working in manufacturing or in a farm-type setting.

A bit of a downside - lots of drug use in that part of the country. Stay away from the lifestyle - it's no better to deal there than anywhere else.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:05 pm
@OGIONIK,
errr where will you be getting the $ to fly your dog out? it won't be inexpensive.

hmmmm, you could try to get one of those gigs driving a car from L.V. to Ohio - load your dog in the crate for the trip over - can't mess up someone else's car with the dog - but it'd be a way to get someone else to pay for the trip
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:05 pm
@ehBeth,
no no, the bikes are in ohio.

were flying there in 12 days.

if i get settled im definitely getting a 4wd truck. heh.

theres tons of meth use in every small town. well, EVERYWHERE. drugs drugs drugs.

people who suck at life dedicate themselves to drugs. and thats alot of people.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:07 pm
@OGIONIK,
i sold my world of warcraft account for 400 dollars.

sold my weights for 50.00

sold my computer for 300, and my im about to sell my dads bowflex for 300 and i get to keep 200.

oh and daily labor, **** sucks but its like 40-100 a day.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:09 pm
@caribou,
caribou wrote:

If you take the long way round, it just makes for more interesting stories to tell when you are older.

caribou, this is a very true.

Many of us have told very interesting stories here, and we all survived to do the telling.

On the whole, the most interesting stories are about the things that didn't work out, or worked out differently than expected.

Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:09 pm
@JPB,
who are the assholes?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:11 pm
@chai2,
true that. ive always done the most-to-the-point ,most effecient, no fun, im going from point a to b kinda thing.

but if we can drive back on motorcycles, i would love to go thru the northern states and possibly come down thru idaho to las vegas so they can see all of nevada, and then go back on the route 66 ish roads.And i dont mind flying there to get settled.

seeing almost all of this country, that would be awesome.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:16 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:
if i get settled im definitely getting a 4wd truck. heh.

the upside - lots of 4wd's being sold dirt cheap these days
the downside - the reasons they're being sold dirt cheap, including the mileage

~~~

enjoy the trip - consider waiting to bring your dog out until you can find a way to get her out without flying - that can be awfully stressful on dogs - too many of them die/get sick/get lost as a result of flying. Your pup doesn't need that. Neither do you.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:17 pm
@OGIONIK,
Oh dear.

Don't forget to check in here while on your journey.

You know how I worry.

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: 'It might have been! ..."
~John Greenleaf Whittier
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:17 pm
@OGIONIK,
heres a story about a trip to lake tahoe.

In salt lake city, a layover for the busses, i go to buy some chicken from the store, i get back, like 5 minutes left to catch he bus running around on some stupid we name our roads 5000 6000 7000, north a b c street etc.. and the police are like 6 deep, 3 cars, and im like hrm whats going on, Oh, its me!.

like umm, ok? whats goin on? "*shutup!!* your wanted in connection for a shooting!"

"i can tell by your body language your lying!"

*over the radio, bald black male, white shirt, blue shorts*

(what i was wearing)

"umm, im white" "SHUT the **** UP!" a few moments later.
"ok, your free to go."

bus is closing its doors and my friend is sittin there like WHAT THE **** DID U DO?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:20 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

Ragman wrote:

How will you pay for medical expenses for you...for your dog. Does new job have a medical plan?

how would i pay for them here? i cant.

how would i pay for them there? im not sure.

Well, there are probably medical clinics there, just as there are here in New Mexico. There may be a veterinary clinic connected to a veterinary school.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:21 pm
Does anyone still check out seattlebuzz? there's a great guy there who lives in the area Onion's heading. He's a retired state park warden or something to that effect. <mulls>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:40 pm
I'm still on page two of this thread, but skipping ahead to add to those saying Go For It.

I've made some moves in my life that I'm sure people were shaking their heads about (family, for example) and I've had a rich life, experience-wise, due in part to those questionable moves. I don't really question this move for Ogi, sounds like a good idea to me.

On the dog flying question, I'm sure we've talked about this before on a2k. I can't remember the advice - re the dog being in cargo in the hot summer, for example. I'll do an a2k search and see what I can find. Patiodog and Cowdoc may have opinions about how to proceed as well. Also, there are many sites devoted to questions about air travel, I'll see if I can find something on those.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:43 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Go for it OG. You need a change of scenery. Why not rent a car and drive? I hate stuffing a dog in an airplane belly. They can be damaged for life by the experience.
If Ohio doesn't work out head east for New York.

Oh, yea! I agree with that.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:43 pm
@ossobuco,
its not summer yet but getting hot...

cold is worse for pitbulls, they have something wrong with their circulation? i belive or its another dog.. and they have very short fur..
ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:47 pm
@OGIONIK,
Pitties seem to do all right up here in Canada - but below a certain temp people are much more careful with them, and I've seen more than a couple in sweaters and boots when it's been 30 or 40 below.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:52 pm
@ehBeth,
gay it seems im supposed to have 6 digit insurance for pitbulls in ohio.

they can go **** themselves. top biters are german sheperd, next is chow, then golden retriever.

god, people believe anything the media says.

i went to a dog bite website right now, they said the pitbulls origin is the united ******* states.

HAHA HAHA HAH. oh geez..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 08:08 pm
I hope it works out for you.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:57 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I hope it works out for you.

I am sure that everyone here hopes that this works out should the plan be carried out. We all need to do what we think is best for ourselves.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 06:51 am
@OGIONIK,
uh...near akron columbus is a hell of a spread...they're on opposite ends of the state. Avoid the Akron/Cleveland area like the plague is my advice. I spent my formative years from 3 to 15 in the cleveland/akron area. Look how fucked up I am.