im moving to ohio.. any advice?

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:20 am
my friend acquired some land..
he says we can stay there for free for a while, and he can get us jobs, his mom owns a business.

I have to fly my dog, and all my stuff there..

Anything i should know about my dog being flown there?

Rockhead

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:28 am
@OGIONIK,
call the airlines and ask them.

(and good luck on a fresh start Onion...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:29 am
@OGIONIK,
Ohio, huh?

I'm all for you getting out of your current situation. Hope it's not frying pan/ fire though... where in Ohio?

Re: flying with a dog, found this as a starting point:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2015618_travel-dog-airplane.html
0 Replies

Fyerio

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:59 am
@OGIONIK,
What I did with my dog was that I drugged him, packed him up and went...

I talked to my vet and they suggested to give him a pill that makes him chill out for about 9-12 hours, thus making it a smooth flight.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 11:34 am
@Fyerio,
its near akron/columbus.

i cant wait..

ive had my stuff packed for like 2 years, now im actually leaving. rofl!

so long las vegas..
sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 11:59 am
@OGIONIK,
I'm in Columbus, so might have advice... I'm relatively new myself though so my own knowledge is limited. Setanta was an absolute goldmine of advice about the area (he used to live here but doesn't anymore).

Wait, did you mean Akron/ Cleveland? I thought Akron wasn't very nearby but wasn't sure (see above re: my own cluelessness), just looked it up and Akron is WAY closer to Cleveland than Columbus...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 12:06 pm
@OGIONIK,
Here's a few thoughts:

People make all sorts of promises and they can mean well but...?

Make sure this person is good for his word and he's not just blowing smoke. What's his reputation?

Get a REALLY clear idea of what the living circumstances are and for how long they'll be that way. What is the job's responsibilities and skill-set and what is it about? Have you done this type of work before?

You wrote that he has acquired land? Is there a house there? Akron and Columbus are not that close. Which is it?

If you get there and that living situation isn't good either or you have a disagreement with your friend/boss/landlord, you're now stuck in an area that could have a weaker economy than from where you moved and no way to get back.

Also, about this area where you're talking is not a social hotspot, to say the least. Not only is it not Vegas - it could be quite the opposite. If it's the suburbs, if you like going to church socials and bowling, you're all set. If it's not, then what's the neighborhood where you'll be living and working like?
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 12:16 pm
@Ragman,
its a town called caldwell, well a village.

Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 12:27 pm
@OGIONIK,
Caldwell is neither near Akron or Columbus (somewhat in region of Columbus). It's in southeastern OH nr KY border. The population was 1,956 at the 2000 census. The way Caldwell's profile reads is that it's a somewhat poor farming area with a larger elderly population. You're an urban guy....and well, WTF?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldwell,_OH

("The racial makeup of the village was 99.13% White, 0.15% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.31% Asian, and 0.20% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.10% of the population.")

Is that where you want to move?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 12:38 pm
@OGIONIK,
Akron is far to the north ...near the Great Lakes. Columbus, or even greater Columbus metro area, is nowhere nearby, being an 1:40 min drive by car down I-70 and I-77.

You're actually closer to Wheeling WVa than you are to any other major city.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 12:58 pm
@Ragman,
14% unemployment......is this what you want??
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
free rent = ?

im not an urban guy, im a wildman trapped in the city.

caldwell is like straight south of akron.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:19 pm
@OGIONIK,
what about keeping busy? What are you going to do about that? You already tend to run negative, what is moving to a depressing part of the country going to do to you long term? You have constantly talked about wanting opportunity to improve your life, what are you going to do in a place that has almost no opportunity for a better life?

You should for a change not take the easiest road (free rent now) and instead do something that is good for you over the long haul. Failing that then at least stop complaining about your life, you make these choices that limit your potential.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:19 pm
@OGIONIK,
if i regret it oh well.

im not gonna be used to "not" being the only white guy in a group of filipinos, or mexicans, or el salvadorians or blacks.Or not seeing gangsters everywhere, or meth heads, or hustlers..

it sorta sounds like ur tryign to talk me into staying in las vegas rofl.

we already have jobs lined up.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:22 pm
@OGIONIK,
this is an opportunity.

if i stay in las vegas im gonna end up selling drugs or worse.
THATS depressing.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:25 pm
@OGIONIK,
no one's trying to talk you out of anything. All we're doing here presenting you with known facts and you decide for yourself how those facts work with the WHOLE picture. You come across here as somewhat desperate and implusive and jump to conlusions.

"By Donna Willis
Web Content Coordinator
Published: March 2, 2009

COLUMBUS, Ohio"Ohio’s unemployment rate spiked again, reaching a high Ohioans haven’t seen since 1985.

January’s unemployment rate climbed to 8.8 percent in Ohio. Compare that to 5.7 percent of Ohioans who were unemployed at this time last year."

Locally, in that part of OH, the unemployment rate could be upwards of 10-12%. Regardless of promised jobs, if the local economy is down long-term (and it is), big, medium and small businesses are closing doors in a major way.

Then there's the whole nothing to do socially issue. No night life...unless listening to cricket noises..and cow-tipping are fun for you?

(You still haven't answered any of the questions I posed earlier to you.)
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:27 pm
@Ragman,
yes it is where i want to move

the neighborhood is more like ranches and acres of land separate from anyone.

Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:30 pm
@OGIONIK,
OK..so when are you moving? Flight all booked? how are you moving your furniture and possessions? Is there any furniture where you moving to?

You asked for advice, but seem unwilling to listen to or take any of it. How will you pay for medical expenses for you...for your dog. Does new job have a medical plan?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:38 pm
@OGIONIK,
Quote:
2008 10 9.3%
2008 11 9·9%
2008 12 11.3%
2009 01 13·6%

http://www.economagic.com/em-cgi/data.exe/blsla/laucn39121003

the economic collapse is kicking Noble County in the ass....how sure are you about these jobs???
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:41 pm
@OGIONIK,
"caldwell is like straight south of akron"

Not even close! Try again! It's an 105 mile drive
0 Replies