Obama..... not religious?

Thomas

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 08:47 am
@blatham,
Bernie is only two degrees of separation away from Frank Zappa! How cool is that?
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 08:52 am
@Thomas,
Indeed. I'm expecting an invitation from Havel, likely hand-delivered.
Thomas

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 08:57 am
@blatham,
If you ever get to shake Havel's hand, I'll have to kill you out of jealousy. Just something to keep in mind.
nimh

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 09:20 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Two or three months ago when I began my blog

Wonderfully designed! Very crisp and clear layout, and I love the photo used as banner at the top.
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 09:21 am
@Thomas,
I'm not sure I feel comfortable being singled out in this manner. Could you at least make some similar threat to Foxfire re Sarah Palin?

Actually, you inspired a thought there. Havel is one of my heroic figures too. It occurred to me that hegemonic and militarist cultures (the US, even Britain) tend to have a different sort of hero figure ascendant in their mythologies. Makes perfect sense, of course. I just don't recall thinking the thought before.
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 09:24 am
@nimh,
Thanks nimh. A nephew did up that banner for me as a birthday gift just yesterday, as it happens (had stock wordpress art there before). Can you give me your blog url again please.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 09:34 am
@nimh,
He is a handsome son-of-a-gun, isn't he.

Seeing him in that white suit reminded me of something Jack Nicholson's character in "A Few Good Men" said to Tom Cruise's character...but I just cannot bring the exact words to mind.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 09:35 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Could you at least make some similar threat to Foxfire re Sarah Palin?

You sure would like that, wouldn't you.

blatham wrote:
Actually, you inspired a thought there. Havel is one of my heroic figures too.

Great! Why don't you go find a tank somewhere and paint it pink? It would help the US Army loosen up a bit.
dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 09:57 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Quote:
Is everyone who claims to be a "Christian" a Christian?

No. Because, if the answer was yes, I would also have to accept that Foxfyre is a libertarian because she said so. This would be the intellectual equivalent of fingernails on a blackboard, of styrofoam plates rubbing against each other, and all that. I refuse to go there.
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 10:00 am
@Thomas,
Code:Great! Why don't you go find a tank somewhere and paint it pink? It would help the US Army loosen up a bit.

The power of symbolism. I think I would have a good deal of trouble coming up with an imagined Obama policy which would garner more outrage than if he were to have the Special Ops and Marines outfitted with pink panties.
dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 10:09 am
@blatham,
Definitely worth it though.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 10:30 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Quote:
Is everyone who claims to be a "Christian" a Christian?

No. Because, if the answer was yes, I would also have to accept that Foxfyre is a libertarian because she said so. This would be the intellectual equivalent of fingernails on a blackboard, of styrofoam plates rubbing against each other, and all that. I refuse to go there.

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 11:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Back to square one!

One: As regards the mythology...how do you know any of it is TRUTH?

And if you are suggesting that only SOME OF IT is TRUTH...how do you determine what is TRUTH and what is suspect or not-TRUTH?

One doesn't in an empirical sense. That's where faith and perhaps alternative evidences of knowing come in. I'm suggesting that there IS a universal Truth. Whatever this universal Truth is, it may or may not have come to any one or more persons over the course of history. Again, this goes back to Robert's point about scripture representing the same story from the perspective of different religion's various wise men. To some (myself included, currently), this points toward evidence that there is no god, while to others it points to evidence that there is but we haven't adequately described it.

I think the great mystics from across time have attempted to describe such a knowing but we have no language to adequately express it. I think we are limited as a people to completely grasp the concepts of the mystics, and the mystics are limited by a lack of language to get it through our thick skulls.

My personal feeling is that the message of the mystics transcend religion and it's restrictions on knowing. Great mystics tend to come from deeply religious traditions, but their expressions, as well as the lives they lead, transcend any one spiritual path. It's almost as if you could profile the mystics across religions as easily as you can profile the fundamentalists. BUT, does that mean the mystics get it and the message they're trying to impart represents TRUTH? I have no idea.

So --- what does that say about the truth of the Bible. It's scripture. It's divinely inspired, meaning someone with a greater understanding than you or I tried to answer The Big Question which is, "What is the meaning of life?" To me, those parts of the bible that tell the story of the mystics (Abraham, Job, Jesus) represent an attempt to describe Truth but it falters in the telling. Not that I could do a better job of telling it, just that I think the message gets lost by the restrictions of language and extraneous interpretations - both in and out of the book.

Liberal Christians accept the truth of the bible, but that doesn't mean they think it's True. There is no one belief statement that describes what it means to be a liberal Christian. Some believe in heaven and hell, some don't. Some believe in the Holy Trinity, some don't. Some believe in the virgin birth and physical resurrection of Christ, some don't.

Some time ago, I think it was ehbeth who posted a long listing of the various definitions of Christianity, including one that was simply "attends church". I can't find that list, but here's one that indicates that Foxfyre is a libertarian -- sorry, Thomas.

Quote:
There are also many distinct definitions of the term "Christian" (pronounced 'kristee`�n). Four examples are:

Most liberal Christian denominations, secularists, public opinion pollsters, and this web site define "Christian" very broadly as any person or group who sincerely believes themselves to be Christian. Thus, Fundamentalist and other Evangelical Protestants, Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox believers, Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians, United Church members, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Scientists, etc. are all considered Christian. Using this definition, Christians total about 75% of the North American adult population.

However, many Fundamentalist and other Evangelical Protestants define "Christian" more narrowly to include only those persons who have been "born again" regardless of their denomination. About 35% of the North American adult population identify themselves in this way.

Some Protestant Christian denominations, para-church groups, and individuals have assembled their own lists of cardinal Christian doctrines. Many would regard anyone who denies even one of their cardinal doctrines to be a non-Christian. Unfortunately, there is a wide diversity of belief concerning which historical Christian beliefs are cardinal.

Other denominations regard their own members to be the only true Christians in the world. Some are quite small, numbering only a few thousand followers. source
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 11:37 am
@JPB,
Thanks for the response, JPB.

Quote:
One doesn't in an empirical sense. That's where faith and perhaps alternative evidences of knowing come in. I'm suggesting that there IS a universal Truth.

Well on the question of whether or not there is a GOD involved in the nature of the Reality of existence...more than likely (almost certainly) there is a TRUTH: Either there is a GOD (or gods) involved...or there are NO gods involved.

I have no problem with that.

But I personally see absolutely nothing that points to “There HAS TO BE a GOD involved”...and I see absolutely nothing that points to “There cannot be a GOD involved.”

Nothing!

Now I am not saying that because I do not know if there is a GOD or if there are NO gods...that nobody else can either.

If there is someone here who does KNOW either way....that person should speak up. If not, I think it is safe...and appropriate...to assume no one here KNOWS.

If there is someone here who does see anything that points to “There HAS TO BE a GOD involved”...or “There cannot be a GOD involved”...that person should speak up. If not, I think it is safe...and appropriate...to assume no one here can do so.

(I can think of one individual who may chime in on this...but if he does, I intend to dismiss his claims as pure fraud! Don't want to get into that without him entering the fray.)

So...lets take it from there.

The guesses of all the others you mentioned, whether they be mystics or non-mystics...are not really germane to the issue of the above comments.

Quote:
I think the great mystics from across time have attempted to describe such a knowing but we have no language to adequately express it.

I have no problem doing that at all. That kind of “knowing” is merely guessing...and refusal to acknowledge the guessing as guessing.

Quote:
To some (myself included, currently), this points toward evidence that there is no god, while to others it points to evidence that there is but we haven't adequately described it.

Truly, JPB...I am not being nasty here...but I think I have described it very clearly and adequately up above. People on both sides of this issue...theistic and atheistic...always seem to want to describe guesses about the issue as knowledge of some kind that is difficult to describe or express! I ask you with all the sincerity in the world...to really consider it carefully...and see if you don't realize that all it is...is guesswork.

Quote:
I think we are limited as a people to completely grasp the concepts of the mystics, and the mystics are limited by a lack of language to get it through our thick skulls.

The unnamed individual I mentioned above once said (I weakly paraphrase), “What is there about the atmosphere in the subcontinent that makes those mystics think their guesses are any better than the guesses of the rest of the world.” With that...I agree.

Quote:
My personal feeling is that the message of the mystics transcend religion and it's restrictions on knowing.

I appreciate hearing your guesses about what is happening with mystical considerations...but they are just guesses. My guesses are the opposite of yours. Neither of us knows. All we can do is guess.

Quote:
Great mystics tend to come from deeply religious traditions, but their expressions, as well as the lives they lead, transcend any one spiritual path. It's almost as if you could profile the mystics across religions as easily as you can profile the fundamentalists. BUT, does that mean the mystics get it and the message they're trying to impart represents TRUTH? I have no idea.

Neither do I...and that is the point.

Quote:
So --- what does that say about the truth of the Bible.

Not a bloody thing!

Quote:
It's scripture. It's divinely inspired, meaning someone with a greater understanding than you or I tried to answer The Big Question which is, "What is the meaning of life?"

You lost me here. Is this what you are saying it is...or is this just a rhetorical device?

If you are saying that the Bible is “divinely inspired”...I want to know how you know this...or if you are merely guessing.

Quote:
To me, those parts of the bible that tell the story of the mystics (Abraham, Job, Jesus) represent an attempt to describe Truth but it falters in the telling.

Okay..but I “think” it has no more relationship to the TRUTH...than does Gulliver's Travels. We are both guessing! Neither of us can produce anything to back up our guesses about the Bible.

Quote:
Liberal Christians accept the truth of the bible, but that doesn't mean they think it's True.

I honestly do not care what they guess about the Bible. But this sentence sure leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote:
There is no one belief statement that describes what it means to be a liberal Christian. Some believe in heaven and hell, some don't. Some believe in the Holy Trinity, some don't. Some believe in the virgin birth and physical resurrection of Christ, some don't.

When you say “they believe”...all you are saying is that they are guessing that particular thing to be the truth. They ought really to call it a guess. Disguising the guess with the word “believe” or “belief” sucks.

Is there a Hell? No way that I can see of knowing yes or no...no evidence that I can see worth using to make a meaningful guess. All you can do is to make a blind guess. So if you are saying “I believe in Hell”...you are actually saying, “My guess is there is a Hell.” Seems to me saying “My guess is...” is more ethical. Same with “I believe in Heaven...” “I believe in the Holy Trinity” “I believe in the Virgin Birth.” and so on.

Peace to you, JPB. Thanks for discussing this with me. Thanks for at least considering my position...and offering rebuttal.
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 12:00 pm
Quote:
Peace to you, JPB

He's likely wearing pink panties.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 12:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
JPB is one of the most reasonable people to discuss things with, Frank. I am proud to say that I know her personally.
nimh

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 12:06 pm
@blatham,
Your nephew did well!

Dagmaraka met Havel, I think ... when she was a wee girl he'd come round to their house.

Our blog is observationalism.com
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 12:09 pm
@wandeljw,
Thanks Wandel. Trying to keep it conversational. We are not going to resolve anything here...but it never hurts to share views. JPB does seem to be very reasonable. Didn't realize that she was a she!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 05:30 pm
I understand a child starves to death in this world every five seconds. Doesn't this, and an untold number of other monstrosities, prove that there is no God?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 05:40 pm
It doesn't "prove" anything . . . it does suggest that if there is a god, that god isn't compassionate.