Obama..... not religious?

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:32 am
Is he really going to be the first president to begin removing this country from its incredible ties to christianity?

I hope so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep2u4xvYhjw&eurl=http://pinnacleheadlinenews.weebly.com/

(edited)

yes. I see that this is an edited clip/quote..
But it is interesting.. People call him the antichrist. Laughing when he is only quoting the christian bible as it stands..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 43 • Views: 67,354 • Replies: 788

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:38 am
@shewolfnm,
Ya know, I have often pondered his religiosity. Somehow, being religious doesn't suit him. But, he goes to services, and knows all the words. So, who are we to judge his religiousness?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:41 am
Perhaps his religious conviction is similar to that of Jefferson. I will have to look it up to be sure my assumptions are or are not in any way valid.
JPB

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:41 am
@shewolfnm,
What's scary are many of the 107 comments under the video.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:42 am
@littlek,
I am coming to that same thought.

honestly, i personally do not care one way or another so long as what ever religion he is , is NOT the driving force behind laws he may make.

His opening point in that clip is the laws about abortion.. being religious in nature.. and that according to him is wrong. That thought process I can agree with because it allows people to 'think for themselves' intead of governing on someone elses religion.

But I wonder what religion he belongs too only because.. well.. that would mean he is the first president who would NOT be christian..
Isnt that correct?
And if so, that is a historical thing as well..
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:43 am
@JPB,
I have not looked at the comments yet.

I believe they are scary. I found this clip on an anti obama site.. Titled "Antichrist in office" Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:44 am
@shewolfnm,
No, he's very much a Christian and long standing member of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. Newsweek did an expose on his religious journey.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/145971
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:45 am
@JPB,
I will look for the quote...

and I could be absolutely wrong... But I remember hearing him say once that his roots are more Muslim then anything else..

Again.. dont quote me until I can find out if it is true or not.. Im going only by memory here..
JPB

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:49 am
@shewolfnm,
From the Newsweek article...

Quote:
Obama has spoken often and eloquently about the importance of religion in public life. But like many political leaders wary of offending potential backers, he has been less revealing about what he believes"about God, about prayer, about the connection between salvation and personal responsibility. In some respects, his reticence is understandable. Obama's religious biography is unconventional and politically problematic. Born to a Christian-turned-secular mother and a Muslim-turned-atheist African father, Obama grew up living all across the world with plenty of spiritual influences, but without any particular religion. He is now a Christian, having been baptized in the early 1990s at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago.

Also, the UCC is a very liberal protestant faith.

Quote:
The United Church of Christ (UCC) is a mainline Protestant Christian denomination principally in the United States, generally considered within the Reformed tradition. The UCC formed in 1957 with the union of the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Christian Churches. These churches in turn arose from the merger of various Protestant churches in the United States, tracing their roots back to Switzerland, John Calvin, and the Protestant Reformation.

According to the 2007 yearbook, the United Church of Christ has approximately 1.2 million members and is composed of approximately 5,518 local congregations.

The UCC maintains full communion with several other mainline Protestant denominations and participates in worldwide ecumenical efforts. The UCC has historically favored progressive, or liberal, views on gay rights, women's rights, and other issues. Congregations have extensive, perhaps definitive, authority over matters of doctrine and ministry, though, and may or may not support the national body's theological or moral stances. wiki
It's the same faith I was raised in and they have a very tolerant view of other religions.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:50 am
In spite of right-wing Christian attempts to rewrite history to make Jefferson into a Christian, little about his philosophy resembles that of Christianity. Although Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence wrote of the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God, there exists nothing in the Declaration about Christianity.

Although Jefferson believed in a Creator, his concept of it resembled that of the god of deism (the term "Nature's God" used by deists of the time). With his scientific bent, Jefferson sought to organize his thoughts on religion. He rejected the superstitions and mysticism of Christianity and even went so far as to edit the gospels, removing the miracles and mysticism of Jesus (see The Jefferson Bible) leaving only what he deemed the correct moral philosophy of Jesus.

Distortions of history occur in the minds of many Christians whenever they see the word "God" embossed in statue or memorial concrete. For example, those who visit the Jefferson Memorial in Washington will read Jefferson's words engraved: "I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every from of tyranny over the mind of man." When they see the word "God" many Christians see this as "proof" of his Christianity without thinking that "God" can have many definitions ranging from nature to supernatural. Yet how many of them realize that this passage aimed at attacking the tyranny of the Christian clergy of Philadelphia, or that Jefferson's God was not the personal god of Christianity? Those memorial words came from a letter written to Benjamin Rush in 1800 in response to Rush's warning about the Philadelphia clergy attacking Jefferson (Jefferson was seen as an infidel by his enemies during his election for President). The complete statement reads as follows:
http://nobeliefs.com/jefferson.htm

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:52 am
@JPB,
From that quote , if what I remember is true, it would explain his "muslim roots" statement. Roots meaning parents/household etc.

In searching for his quote, or any reference to him being muslim, all I am finding are sites from hate mongers and other stuff....

I am thinking i was way off the mark in remembering what I -think- I heard.

Oh well. Smile
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:55 am
@edgarblythe,
thanks for that link.

I too remember hearing that Jefferson was not christian.. but I had forgotten about that until now..
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:57 am
@shewolfnm,
Yes, there was a steady stream of "Obama is a Muslim" during the campaign.
Many people made a big deal out of "Hussein" being his middle name.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:03 am
Any politician with the balls to make that speech is much, much more than alright...he/she is way past alright.

I have never, ever heard any politician utter the kinds of thoughts he expressed in that speech...and really, that is all I've ever been asking of any politician.

I am not asking that they be agnostics or atheists...but that they go beyond lip service to the notion of “living and let live.”

I was delighted with the way his remarks were being received by what obviously was a “religious” audience...and I was even more delighted with the comments Edgar, that crusty ole atheist, made.

Thanks for the link, Wolf. This has made my day.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:04 am
Two days before the election, one of my friends confided in me. I could tell she was terrified as she described Obama as a Muslim who would wreck the nation, in various ways. She was specific, just like the script from somewhere she memorized so well. At will take time for many to relax, and some will never change their thoughts in this regard.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
Well, Frank, the topic is not "What Edgarblythe Believes." Thanks for the acknowledgement.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:09 am
@shewolfnm,
He's been really open about this in his books, especially the first one. I'd say he's somewhere between religious and not. I think he very much appreciates religion and the good it can do, and enjoys being part of a church community. I think he made a rather rational choice to join a church though rather than having any particular spiritual awakening per se.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:10 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Thanks for the link, Wolf. This has made my day.

It made my day too.

I dont trust a politician any farther then I can throw them....but one who has the guts to say the things he did earns brownie points in my book too.

its about time this country stops bending over to religion and starts standing up for humans.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:11 am
@George,
Yeah.
And i think that is why the idea stuck in my head that he stated he was Muslim.

I dont personally care what religion someone is.. I just want their decisions, if they are in a place of power, to include everyone.. not just some..
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:11 am
@shewolfnm,
I'd say, "From your lips to God's ears"...but I guess that would be inappropriate.

So lemme just say: AMEN!